Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 44 Mag Revolver Considerations

Boolit Buddy

44 Mag Revolver Considerations

I'm having a blast with my GP100 6" which is my first revolver in 15 years. I bought my wife a 38 Special stubby and we both enjoy and shoot the revolvers more than any other pistols.

Kicking the idea around about buying a 44 mag for hunting hogs. Never shot one that I can remember. I hunt in a lot of dense forest and 80% of the shots are 30yards or less.

Leaning towards something Ruger, but would consider other manafactures, etc.

What length barrel should I consider since I walk 3-8 miles per trip ?

Which WFN bullet mold should I consider ?

How do you carry your large frame revolvers (chest holsters) ?

I'm sure I forgot to ask something so educate me!

Boolit Mold
    I've carried a 7.5" 629 in a Bandolier holster. I prefer 6-8" barrels for velocity. Particularly when in comes to taking care of large animals.

Ideal size/barrel length is something that feels comfortable for you. Do you think that you Can handle recoil for a bear load for a shorter barrel?

The holster is a personal preference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Buddy
    Never shot a heavier recoiling caliber in a short barrel.

Boolit Master

I carry a 7 1/2 " Ruger SBH in http://www.pistolpackaging.com/Bandi...ster_p/brh.htm
    and i also like a Encore 454 or Contender 44 magnum in this Attachment 193933
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I like the srh with the 310 gr Lee boolits. I have a hip holster with a separate belt.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added picture
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Vendor Sponsor

The SRH is a powerhouse for sure, but for shooting heavy 310 boolits in the 44 magnum caliber, a regular flavored Redhawk would be more than up to the task, and would weigh less, AND cost less! The Redhawk is actually a stronger revolver than a Super Blackhawk and it would be nice to have that DA ability for subsequent shots. You might also want a 5 1/2" barrel for a little quicker handling.

Cheapie Uncle Mikes nylon holster worn front side left hip cross-draw.

Lee C430-310-RF boolit cast in 50/50+2% with Felix lube.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Man
    I love my Ruger Redhawk 5.5" Shoots everything and is crazy strong. I tightened it up with some shims and it shoots sweet. I carry mine in Galco DAO on the hip. For a dedicated hunting revolver the 7.5" is nice but the 5.5" will be easier to carry at the expense of some velocity. Just depends on you're wants and needs. I was originally going to get the 4" but holding the two side by side I went with the 5.5", was surprised and haven't regretted it. Everyone has their personal preference in the barrel length vs weight compromise. It's hard to go wrong with 44 Mag, it's so versatile! I like the Lee 200 RF and the 310 RF and a 245-255 Keith style in the middle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Personally, for dangerous game like hogs and bears I wouldn't want a single-action, too slow to get into play and follow-up shots. For hunting, I'd want a longer barrel for velocity and balance, and the ability to mount a scope or other optic.

JMHO.....

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never hunted hogs, so no help there.

I will second DougGuy's recommendation of a 5½" Redhawk, they are an awful large gun for a 4" barrel to balance right. I would also get it in stainless. The ones I had in the late eighties and early nineties were supremely accurate; you couldn't tell the difference on target between the Ruger and the S&W 629 Classic Hunter that my buddy had.

For a holster, find what is comfortable for you. If it is a belt holster; get a fairly wide sturdy belt, even a short Redhawk is a heavy gun at the end of the day.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    I like my 7 1/2 inch Redhawk in a Bianchi X-15. I have a scoped SBH Hunter. and an 8 3/8's S&W 29 as well, but the Redhawk gets my vote for hunting as long as shots don't exceed 50 yards.
    If you are a stout, manly fellow one of the chest harness rigs may work better for you, but I would recommend that when it comes to barrel length, go long.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned

The two guns from Ruger I like best, the 10-1/2" SRH and the 7-1/2" SBH Hunter. All my hunting revolvers are 7-1/2" and my SBH is 10-1/2" ( old silhouette gun.)
    I don't like the trigger set up on the RH and it is harder to get accuracy with the grip.
    I use Uncle Mike's shoulder holsters and no gun is in the way.
    I like longer so blast is farther from my ears, no other reason and anything around 6" works fine. 5-1/2" should do you too.
    You will never need double action hunting. You can shoot as fast cocking the gun. Since a friend talked me out of the SRH, all mine are SA. I shot a buck with the SRH through a hole in the brush and he bolted, I hit him again on the run but the first shot took his heart, I cocked the hammer for it. DA takes years of practice. The SRH has a wonderful trigger.
    Some claim to hunt DA but the average guy will never hit anything and I am average. With something over 180 deer kills with revolvers I still use SA.
    The SBH Hunter is deadly accurate and easy to put a red dot on but I hate the Bisley model.
    The Lee 310 is one of the best boolits as is the LBT 320 WLNGC. I load both with 21.5 gr of 296 with the fed 150 primer. S&W does not like heavy boolits on parts. Don't go over 265 gr if you buy one.
    One caution for the Rugers with rings, some red dots will not fit between rings so I use Ultra Dots. Plain 4 minute 30mm and Ruger will swap rings from 1" to 30mm or you can use a Weigand base on the SRH and Hunter.

Boolit Buddy
    44man,

What velocities are you reaching with that load ?

I greatly appreciate the feedback all.

Banned

1316 fps with the LBT and a might faster with the lee. Now my 330 gr will be a tad slower. It takes 21 gr. of 296. Made my own mold. If anyone thinks a .44 is anemic. This is a neck shot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hard boolit damage.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	193945 Crazy shot, deer was running and I led him but seen brush as the hammer fell. Deer popped back around and I dropped him. 65 yards. But it was not brush, it was an osage tree. Boolit went through a 10" trunk into the next.
    I lost a lot of burger. This will go through a pig like butter but will bust all inside. You have to love a .44.

Boolit Master

44 man what is the AOL of that load with the Lee 310
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

This is just a comment on recoil difference between SA and DA. Try and shoot both with equivalent loads before buying. Back in the 70's I shot my M29 S&W a lot with full house loads (max H110 and Lyman 429421 cast bullet). The recoil never bothered me. Now 40 years later I cannot comfortably shoot that same gun with full loads. A few years ago I bought an Old Model Ruger .44 Flattop. For me anyway, it is much more comfortable to shoot since the grip shape allows the gun to rotate in your hand upon recoil instead of driving straight back like on S&W. Maybe the Ruger DA grip shapes are better, but I find that the Ruger SA grip shape makes shooting the .44 with full power loads more comfortable.

Boolit Master
    The way the revolvers recoil is why I prefer the SRH to the BH. I don't shoot the SRH as a double action, I shoot it as a single action. When recovering from the recoil I've already cocked
    it if necessary and can be on target in no time. At least that's what works for me.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy

A shoulder holster works best for me. Doesn't snag and balances well on the body. Long barrels are better than short, 5 1/2 inches would be the shortest I would go. Mine is an 8 3/8" Smith. Another consideration is weight. The heavier it is the better it mitigates recoil, but you have to haul it around. Easier for me to haul with a shoulder rig. Enjoy the hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    The SRH is a powerhouse for sure, but for shooting heavy 310 boolits in the 44 magnum caliber, a regular flavored Redhawk would be more than up to the task, and would weigh less, AND cost less! The Redhawk is actually a stronger revolver than a Super Blackhawk and it would be nice to have that DA ability for subsequent shots. You might also want a 5 1/2" barrel for a little quicker handling.

Cheapie Uncle Mikes nylon holster worn front side left hip cross-draw.

Lee C430-310-RF boolit cast in 50/50+2% with Felix lube.

Are you referring to this model ?

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5003.html

I was looking at these:

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkStandard/specSheets/5519.html

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkHunter/specSheets/0860.html

Will any of these mostly likely need cylinder work ?

Banned
    TXCOONDOG,

Imo, you could do a lot worse than a "Plain Jane" Model 29 loaded with 6 of most any commonplace set of .44 handloads.
    (My choice would be a barrel over 5" & carried in a "shoulder holster", if only because of length/weight.)

best wishes, tex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast