RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Need some info on this old Redding scale

Boolit Buddy

Need some info on this old Redding scale

I bought this not because I need it, but I wanted it! I have 2 RS1's and a RS2, but this is similar to a #1 but doesn't have the oil reservoir and the beam is brass.

Its an older Redding, before the RS1 and "oil dampening". How old is it? Who made it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1492799287255.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	193920

Perma-Banned
    Good old scale. Oil damping was a gimmick, the proper use of a scale is to not wait for the beam to stop.

It is an excellent scale. It is oil dampened but I've found old fashioned "3 in 0ne" doesn't creep over the top and get all over the base or effect the pivots. I've had mine since 1972 when my dad quit reloading. Just be sure to clean every exposed inch of it with dish detergent and a soft toothbrush before using. Like any scale a proper set of scale weights will give you confidence. I do kinda agree, once you get comfortable with it, it's OK to eyeball the weight before the beam comes to a complete stop. This scale is a bit slower than for instance a 505 as it is not magnetically dampened.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    I prefer the hydraulic dampening over the magnetic dampening to be honest. Its quicker and smooth.

However, I know what you are saying, a gentle touch doesn't cause the scale to fluctuate.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by daboone View Post
    It is an excellent scale. It is oil dampened but I've found old fashioned "3 in 0ne" doesn't creep over the top and get all over the base or effect the pivots. I've had mine since 1972 when my dad quit reloading. Just be sure to clean every exposed inch of it with dish detergent and a soft toothbrush before using. Like any scale a proper set of scale weights will give you confidence. I do kinda agree, once you get comfortable with it, it's OK to eyeball the weight before the beam comes to a complete stop. This scale is a bit slower than for instance a 505 as it is not magnetically dampened.
    This scale does not have a oil reservoir or the paddle hanging below the beam. The area below the pivot is solid.

Boolit Master

That's a great scale, it'll never wear out if taken care of. I have the oil damper model, bought it new in the mid 50's when I got started loading. Box is marked $14.00. Contrary to what others have said, the oil dampening feature works great for me. Been using it continuously for 60 years. With that brass beam, yours pre-dates mine. Why not give Redding a call?

Boolit Master
    check down in vintage reloading tools, pressman has pics and info

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    check down in vintage reloading tools, pressman has pics and info
    Wow! I didn't even know that forum was here! There goes the rest of the night carousing that gem!

So according to Pressman, I have a1949 Redding #1!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3997464

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SARuger View Post
    This scale does not have a oil reservoir or the paddle hanging below the beam. The area below the pivot is solid.
    Since it doesn't have a paddle, will the beam swing up and down when you are near the balance point for the object you are wieghing or does the beam just go from all the way down to all the way up?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    Since it doesn't have a paddle, will the beam swing up and down when you are near the balance point for the object you are wieghing or does the beam just go from all the way down to all the way up?
    I don't have it in my hands yet, it's in the mail. Maybe tomorrow or Wednesday

I had one very much like that except the scale pan was brass. The underside of the scale said Pelouze was the manufacturer. They're still in business and still make scales, though not for reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the scales today. This set of scales are in great condition!

Name:	IMG_20170424_172546658_TOP.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	193975

Name:	IMG_20170424_172628856.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	193976

Name:	IMG_20170424_192013594.jpg