Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "Best" Stand Alone Priming Tool?

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I have been using the Lee Bench Prime of late
    Have the RCBS bench primer and
    And fleet of the old round trays and some others, Ram Prime, Lee Ergo etc.
    For around $30 the Lee Bench Prime is my current favorite.
    + 1 for this one

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

So far, my favorite hand priming tool has been the discontinued RCBS Posi-Prime. It has a great feel to it, fits well in the hand and is very smooth in operation. The tool offers a great "feel" for when the primer is bottomed out. It uses standard shell holders. Have been using the Posi-Prime for quite some years now, and it continues to work very well.

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote here for the old Lee round hand priming tool .I have one set up for large primers and one for small . When I heard that they where discontinuing them I bought three spares .Now when I use my dillion I use the press mounted one .

Boolit Master

And another vote for the old Lee round hand priming tool. I have gotten too used to it to change and I have enough spares and spare parts that I will wear out before they do.

i have tried other hand tools and two bench mounts but I keep coming back to the old Lee.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master
    I guess I'm the odd one out, I absolutely 100% love the Lee Ergo Prime. Gives good feel for seating primers and just plain works. It took a little getting used to at first to get the right angle to hold it at, it doesn't have to be super precise but if too shallow won't feed properly and if too steep primers can tip sideways and slow things down. But there is a very generous amount of leeway before either of these things cause a problem so it's very easy to get used to it. Now having said this, I have the older model with the original square primer trays. Having tried the new folding primer trays on my Loadmaster and how crappy they work there, I wouldn't recommend them now unless these trays work better on the Ergo Prime than on the Loadmaster.

Thanks, guys.

The old style round Lee's are what I use. Just didn't know if something much better had come along in the past few years.

Managed to grab a couple of extra Lee's here and there over the past few years.

Anyone know if someone makes a replacement handle? The first one I had broke a few years ago, and I still have the rest of the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    I guess I'm the odd one out, I absolutely 100% love the Lee Ergo Prime. Gives good feel for seating primers and just plain works. It took a little getting used to at first to get the right angle to hold it at, it doesn't have to be super precise but if too shallow won't feed properly and if too steep primers can tip sideways and slow things down. But there is a very generous amount of leeway before either of these things cause a problem so it's very easy to get used to it. Now having said this, I have the older model with the original square primer trays. Having tried the new folding primer trays on my Loadmaster and how crappy they work there, I wouldn't recommend them now unless these trays work better on the Ergo Prime than on the Loadmaster.
    I am with you. Much better for me than the other four or five hand helds I have used. I use the old round trays. But still my favorite is the press mounted Auto Prime II. To bad the lawyers got to the Auto Prime II but for those of us who have them, we are the lucky ones. Saw one on the bay for $102.00 recently and the other day one went for $26.00 so they are still around.

GD

Boolit Buddy

I really like the rcbs universal hand priming tool, once you factor in the cost of the special lee shellholders for theirs it's only about $15 more, permanently eliminates one more thing you have to keep track of and saves you swapping out a different shellholder for every different case

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I really like the rcbs universal hand priming tool, once you factor in the cost of the special lee shellholders for theirs it's only about $15 more, permanently eliminates one more thing you have to keep track of and saves you swapping out a different shellholder for every different case
    A whole complete set of those "special" Lee shell holders come to about $12 and they come in a case.

Boolit Buddy
    The curved handle from the xr will work on the newer round tray models. Not sure when lee changed the arm it attaches to that pushes the priming post up but I have one that needed a little mod. The curved handle from the xr sticks out more square to the tool making it a little harder to use but they are $1.79 at midway on sale.

Boolit Mold
    The old Lee round press mounted model.Had mine for thirty years and probably primed a 100 thousand cases.Still works well.Wonder why it is not available anymore

Ditto. I'm still using mine from 1978. I love it and will never part with it. You can have my Lee, Hornady and RCBS hand tools.....all crappy in comparison

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/45...-RCBS-_-457599

Used on since the early 70's
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Bub
    It depends on what you want to do. Sinclair makes a great one but it is not designed for high volume.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234