Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: crimping aluminum cases

Boolit Buddy

crimping aluminum cases

Anyone have experience with crimping new aluminum cases?

Does it work just like brass cases or.... ?

Boolit Buddy
    I've never seen new aluminium cases. If you mean once fired cases, most people toss them. I never have, and hopefully never will need to reload aluminium cases.
    And no, aluminium does not work just like brass. Now if you have nickel coated brass, that's different.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the new" aluminum cases. I've loaded aluminum cases in .38 and .45 ACP. I didn't treat them any differently than brass. I use the seat/crimp die on .38 special for a light roll crimp. They shot just fine. This was mostly an experiment and I wouldn't intermix cases.

When I first bought my .44 Spl Bulldog, the only cases I could find to try it out at first were Blazers loaded with Gold Dots. I didn't want to shoot self defense loads just to try out the gun, so I pulled the bullets and reloaded them with lead ones I had on hand. Worked fine, but the aluminium sprung back from the crimp a bit more than brass, not much, but just noticeable. I didn't recrimp them and they worked fine.

Also didn't try to reload them for two reasons. First, they were berdan primed. And second, I met a guy at the range who had sold his .44 and sold me all of his stuff for it.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Master
    I have reloaded aluminum on a whim. They reloaded fine. Crimping was not a problem. As Cowboy_Dan said, a little spring back on the crimp.

Boolit Master
    I have reloaded .38 special and .45 acp aluminum cases. I only used the ones with the boxer primers. The .45 cases developed neck splits around the fifth reloading.
    They were fired in a revolver. The .38s I will probably toss after the first reloading. I didn't notice anything different on the crimping. I only did it because some have said it couldn't be done....
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy

CCI says they are not reloadable. Aluminum work hardens much faster than brass. You may get one reload out of them but you are very likely looking at case failure after that. Case failures can damage your firearm and injure you severely. It's really not worth the risk.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Boolit Buddy
    there is a place selling NEW aluminum 44 mag cases, primed. Hence the question about crimping new alum cases.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMagShooter View Post
    there is a place selling NEW aluminum 44 mag cases, primed. Hence the question about crimping new alum cases.
    Where's this?
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

These have had their bullets pulled and powder dumped, they aren't really "new", just unfired. That said, if I was gonna mess with them I'd give them a firm roll crimp into a crimping groove. If it relaxed some there should still be some crimp left.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.