Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: .348 win help

.348 win help

I just bought a Browning M71 in .348 win. I need to buy a mold. Before I do I wanted some advice from those who have and shoot cast bullets in a .348 What mold do you use? What do you size it to? I will slug the bore but for now I am curious at what works for you. What weight do you like? What M die do you use?
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Grand Master
    I have three molds that get use. The first is the RCBS .348-200. The Second is a 350-220 by Accurate. It is a "6-of-1-half-a-dozen-of-the-other" with them. Neither is better than the other, they shoot about the same. Both kick pretty hard with full loads.
    I use WW760 and H4895 with those. The Accurate boolit is on the right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0475.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	193904
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-8-13 026.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	193905But my most used boolit is something different. I used the 358-429, 170 grain SWC, sized .350 over 13.0 grains of Red Dot. It is a very mild load, that is a fun, accurate load. It shoots way low, but it will shoot into an inch and a half at 50 yards.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

The one I used was the old NEI (Walt) made a 348 that went 235gr and was outstanding in my two Winchester made M-71's.
    25gr SR-4759 or full power loads were great.

I am sure there are other molds but that is the one that worked well for me.
    The Lyman mold I had was not as good (accurate). I sold it.

I had a 0.348" lube and size die from Lyman. It worked well with the SR-4759 loads. It was enlarged to 0.349-0.350" and my full powder loads accuracy was improved. The SR-4759 loads still shot fine using the larger size. The NEI bullet as cast was hardly marked using the enlarged sizer.
    I was using LBT blue lube and a gas check.

The light loads produced about 1700-1800 and were great for most shooting/plinking needs.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

I also paper patched both cast and jacketed 338 bullets for use in the 348 but that was something of a, "see if I could do it" kind of event. I did not do it for hunting and moved on.
    Chill Wills