Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Like new Big Max

Perma-Banned
    I don't remember these presses? I have owned a few RC's over the years, but never even seen one of these til now. AWESOME find!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I can't imagine why RCBS created such a great press and then walked away from it. It shouldn't cost all that much more than a Rock Chucker II to manufacture and is a better press. Maybe they know something I don't. Great looking press and a rare find. Enjoy, james
    I think the reason they went to the Rockchucker was the manufactureing cost. The Rockchucker is a simpler design.

Boolit Master
    My A4 would be the last press to leave my shop. At the estate sale, I mean.

There must have been some demand, mine has a plate on the top back. It reads RCBS Big Max, and the serial number is 097XX. I would buy two more if I could today.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    I think the reason they went to the Rockchucker was the manufacturing cost. The Rockchucker is a simpler design.
    The Rockchucker is a smaller, less costly version of the big A presses. It first came on the market in 1967. The Big Max, A-4, is a totaly seperate press, not related to the original A's. I will have to do some research but 1984 seems about right for the first year.
    I just picked up one this morning in a sweetheart deal so I need to delve deeper into its history.
    Ken

So is a Big Max A4 press for $225 shipped to me a good price?
    I SHOOT MORE FOR LESS

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible,With Liberty and Justice for all.

Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

GAS--> $1.55--1-18-09

Banned
    I am not going to tell you what I paid for mine yesterday, but yes that is a very good price. eBay is $375-$425 range - plus shipping.

While I paid even less than you I had to drive 600 miles, take a day and a half and an extra night in a motel, see some truly wonderful countryside and travel new roads I have longed to see for many, many years. So I think I really got a deal.

Ken

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post
    Clean livin'... And I haunt estate sales... Lots of people go looking for guns, but I go straight for the reloading stuff.... Got about 1,500 30 cal jacketed projectiles for $75 not too long ago... Sure helps keep shooting costs down...

Just so we all will feel slightly sick, what did this press cost? Nice find indeed. I haunt estate sales for pewter with very good finds ocassionly.Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Just so we all will feel slightly sick, what did this press cost? Nice find indeed. I haunt estate sales for pewter with very good finds ocassionly.Robert
    No need to feel sickly... The seller had scoped out eBay history to see prices on these presses, but didn't want to go that route... Cash in hand vs waiting for an auction, etc.... We settled at $250... More than I had hoped to pay, but you can't get a screamin' hot deal every time. This press is the first A4 I've ever seen, so I was happy to get it... I would have paid more...

I also got 2 Universal Stars from the same estate, and they were better deals. I left happy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12