Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a new thumper, need sights.

Boolit Master
    I am big fan of Skinner and XS sights both are very rugged and simple combined with green light pipe front sight and that works really well for me.

Boolit Master
    If you intend to hunt? Williams FP peep. (fool proof)

Your rifle is drilled and taped for a peeps mounting.

Rear Sight pictured is not the Marlins original.

What I like about the Williams peep verses the Lyman models. Williams adjustments are flush with the sights body/frame. Less likely to snag on brush or what ever. Lymans adjustments are exposed up'ing the chances for a (peeps misalignment)

Want a quick point & shoot sight? or wanting to hunt up until twilight? Just remove the Williams aperture for a larger sight picture thus allowing more light to focus in on your darkened target. Not sure if a Skinner has ability? (aperture removal)

Boolit Buddy
    Any cal - is that an early 444? Nice looking levergun.

If you are going to be changing loads and needing to re-sight often, then an easily adjustable peep sight would be a better option. I prefer older versions made from steel, like those made by Redfield or Lyman. Williams also work but I find them a little bulkier, being made out of alminium alloy. The new Lyman 66 peep sights have a thin alloy aperture arm and arent very robust at all. Most peep sights came in target or hunter versions. The target ones have knurled adjustment knobs and are easier to adjust and possibly knock out of alignment. The hunter versions need a screwdriver to adjust them and are preferred for hunting rifles.

If you are going to settle on a load and not mess with adjustment, the X-S or Skinner are even more robust, but adjustment is not as convenient. You will need a taller front sight for the X-S but not sure on the Skinner.

The older steel Lyman and Redfield peeps were discontinued some time ago so you will need to trawl ebay, gunbroker, gun shows etc to find one.

Boolit Master
    I vote for the Lyman 66A receiver site and a Lyman Globe on the front ,they (3) work for me !

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Want a quick point & shoot sight? or wanting to hunt up until twilight? Just remove the Williams aperture for a larger sight picture thus allowing more light to focus in on your darkened target. Not sure if a Skinner has ability? (aperture removal)
    Yep, Skinner's do the same. They make good stuff.
    Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben.

Thank you all for the excellent info! Looked up the serial #, apparently it is a 1965. I just ordered the FoolProof sight for it. The Skinners looked good, but cost more than I wanted to spend right now. Some of the old steel sights look great, but run about $200 on Ebay, so they weren't happening either.

I kept toying with building a rear peep, but figured I have plenty of irons in the fire already. $64 for a sight could buy me days to work on other projects...

You did good. My Win 94 has had a Williams on it for years- nary a problem. That is a nice Marlin you have there- enjoy it.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    When I bought my 1895 from my backyard gunsmith, I also ordered a Leupold 1-4X slug gun scope with heavy crosshairs. The nice neighbor dug out an old Weaver Pivot mount. Later, I had the little brass front bead replaced by a Trijicon tritium dot, and had the buckhorn rear sight milled to shallow express vee. it works very well at sundown and even 1/2 hour later (end of legal hunting hours).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170502_174226.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	194617

Played with this sight in the dusk. Sighted it in when it was dark enough for headlights, but they didn't do anything, and shot until it was too dark to see the black 3" target spot on the cardboard at 50 yds. Watched the muzzle flash the whole time.

Love it! Still have to shoot with it more, but easily as good as a cheap scope, and much handier. I think $250+ would give a bit more precision, but that is 4x what I spent, and the rifle wouldn't carry nearly as well.

I had a similar sight 7-8 years ago and didn't love it, so don't know if my eyes changed or preferences did. Last one was on a bolt rifle that shoot well out to 500 yds, so expectations were a bit different. I think this would let me shoot big game out to 200 until it was too dark to identify them as legal. Can't ask for much more imo.

Oh, and I didn't have to change the front sight, though a couple were included. It is sights in near the bottom of adjustment at 50 yds to start, with LOTS of adjustment to run out farther. Got the 336 version that mounts to rear scope mount holes.
    Last edited by Any Cal.; 05-03-2017 at 03:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    Nice 1895. I am a big fan of the XS sights. The rear ghost ri g setup lets in a lot of light, but it is a bit fiddly to adjust. I tend to leave it set up as a one load gun. An older all steel Lyman receiver sight with the aperaturs removed would give more convenient adjustment.
    The XS vertical white stripe front sight give me a great useable sight picture in varying light conditions. The white shows up on the dark targets, and the black on both sides shows up on the light. Great field sight.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12