Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Marlin last SN

Boolit Bub

Marlin last SN

Stopped at a local gun shop to pick up a part for a gun. One of the sales men was telling about a new 1895 the received last week. I figured what the hey, and looked at it. It's a stainless steel wood stock guide gun. It has peep site and some odd looking rail on it. It covers almost all the way around the barrel. Can not tell if it is JM stamped. The gun store would not pull it off.

So my question is, what ST did Marlin stopped building guns and Remington started at. The SNAKE starts at 98 something. Fit and finish reminds me of a JM. Can anyone help with this.

Boolit Buddy
    JM Marlins have the serial number on the tang. Remingtons put a billboard style S/N on the side of the receiver if that's any help.

If it starts with 98 and it's on the tang it's a 2002. I think Remington took over somewhere between 2009 and 2011.
    "Oh bother" said Pooh as the tripwire clicked.

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/

Boolit Bub
    It's on the tag. I guess I better call the gun shop 1st thing Monday morning.

Thank you for the help!

Boolit Buddy
    For what its worth, there were some transition guns built. For instance I owned an 1894SS in 357mag that had both a JM style serial number, but was marked REM on the barrel. Through research I found that the parts were made in the Marlin factory, but it was assembled and proofed by Remington.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Here's the sum of my research .
    The change in ownership was 2004 .
    The SN coding is run a muck 04-06' for using up nos .
    Remington ownership guns , presumably after numbered parts consumption , are prefixed RM .
    The Marlin date numbers went away maybe 05-06' .
    So if it's a side SN with a RM prefix that doesn't work it is 2006 through 2009 .
    At the end of 09' the machines were moved from New Haven to Illion .
    2010 made in Illion will be suffixed A , 11' B , 12' C and so on .

A few escaped with mixed parts no doubt .
    My 2011 Remlin 1895 is as good as my buddy Jorge's 99' SS JM 1895 in all aspects beyond wood to metal fit and as much as it pains me to say the 92' Rossi is better there . His SS is smoother also but both shoot about the same .
    Bonus points to Rem , 6 right ,period. No more Ballard or MG .
    Nice find on the JM !
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Here's the sum of my research .
    The change in ownership was 2004 .
    You are mistaken sir. In fact it would appear that we both were mistaken. December 26, 2007 was the official date of acquisition.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45...l-numbers.html

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
    You are mistaken sir. In fact it would appear that we both were mistaken. December 26, 2007 was the official date of acquisition.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45...l-numbers.html
    See there , conflicting information . Thank you for the correction .
    My digging was done solely to find a date of manufacture for.my rifle . I sifted through mountains of information only to find that nobody gave a rats after sometime in 08' . Prior to that there are pages that list month by month by model start numbers so it's pretty easy to nail down a 1910 1894 to the 3rd week in November (example for.exaggeration) .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    It is JM stamped. Fit and finish is better then the remlins that I have seen.this is the 1st stainless steel and wood I have seen.

I have a 2005 Guide gun with factory wood and stainless, they were a standard offering. I always liked the look of wood and stainless.

Although there were some disgruntled employe quality control issues in 2008-2009 the real problem happened when Remington abandoned the Marlin factory, it's tooling, and all employees in 2010 to start new at a Remington factory.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunarphase View Post
    Although there were some disgruntled employe quality control issues in 2008-2009 the real problem happened when Remington abandoned the Marlin factory, it's tooling, and all employees in 2010 to start new at a Remington factory.
    The other issue about that 2008-2009 period is that there were some JM stamped rifles that were produced, adding to the confusion. Those barrels had actually been produced prior to the takeover but assembly happened later. Many looked like they were made from scrap parts. Very sad times.