11 3.85%
  • I'm A Moderate

35 12.24%
  • I'm Under 30, WTH Is It?

1 0.35%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Corned Beef Hash

Quote Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
    I had never tried corn beef hash before, and not because I'm under 30 Living in the Philly suburbs our goto breakfast meat was always bacon, scrapple & Taylors pork roll. After reading this thread, I asked the wife to put some Mary's Kitchen on the grocery list. Tried it this morning for the 1st time and have to say...it was really really good Just fried it up in a pan with a couple eggs over easy on top & buttered toast. I think next time I'm going to try it with some Texas Pete hot sauce...just because everything tastes better with Texas Pete on it.
    Awesome! We've got a new CBH lover!

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I start it off with melted butter or bacon grease, and chopped dried onion with minced garlic. Add the CBH and sprinkle with Lawry's Seasoned Salt. It takes a while to cook out the water in the taters and get some crispness in the beef, all the while making the cook shack smell really good.
    Bacon grease?

GENIUS

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post

Bacon grease?

GENIUS
    When you cook bacon don't you drain the grease into a mason jar and then put it in the frig to be used later? Man, why use anything else when cooking eggs or CBH, or heck even when making fried bologna sammiches?
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master
    Fried bologna sandwiches??? I thought I was the only one that did that. I use mongollian fire oil in the skillet with a little butter, to cook the bologna

Moderator Emeritus

Fried summer sausage is great too, takes out a bit of the fat and gets crispy...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Fried summer sausage is great too, takes out a bit of the fat and gets crispy...
    Agreed! I save my bacon grease in a small butter bowl in the freezer. I fry bologna. Summer sausage. Bout any type of sandwich meat.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I've tried bologna, but not summer sausage. Going to try it out this weekend!

If you like pan fried Bologna and Taylor pork roll you should try pan frying some Lebanon Bologna either the "double smoked? or the "sweet" kind

Boolit Man
    Since reading this thread and trying Mary's Kitchen back in January, I've had it no less then twice week ever since. I'm the only one in the house that eats it, so I usually have half a can with 3 eggs on top on back to back days. I've had cravings for it and used it as a late night snack on occasion.

Can't get enough of it...why did it take me 47 years to discover this stuff?

Boolit Buddy

I took the plunge and made some this weekend after always hearing my dad and grandpa talk about it...it was like the biscuits and gravy epiffany all over again...why did I wait so long? I found a recipe and so I canned 14 pints of it saturday night. I took the scraps that didn't fit in the canner and threw them in the instant pot and then Sunday morning fried everything up it was supposed to be a double batch... just made for a really good sized breakfast. I think I'll find out how the canned stuff turned out this weekend!

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Grabbed a can outa the pantry tonight and fried it up crisp with some onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and butter.
    Scrambled a couple of eggs in with it.

One of my favorite meals.

Anyone have a recipe for some "from scratch"?
    This isn't as hard as it looks. It is, hands down, the best corned venison (or beef) recipe I've ever had. If you try it, please tell me if you liked it!

Corned Venison (Beef) Hash with Poached Eggs
    Ingredients Hash:
    1 cup diced boiled red-skinned potatoes
    1 cup colcannon (mashed potatoes with steamed cabbage onion and bacon)
    2 cups diced cooked corned venison (corned beef is ok too)
    1/4 cup corned venison cooking liquid or chicken broth
    1/2 medium yellow onion - grated
    1/2 clove garlic, mashed
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    Pinch nutmeg
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    4 cups cold water
    1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions
    In a large bowl, mash 1 cup of the potatoes with a fork. Add the remaining potatoes, corned venison (beef), cooking liquid, onion, garlic, mustard, parsley, thyme, and nutmeg. Season generously with pepper and mix well. Store in the refrigerator overnight or at least 3 hours.

Preheat a large well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup of the butter and heat. When the foaming subsides, add the hash mixture and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Using a spatula, press the mixture down into a cake the size of the skillet. Cook, shaking the skillet occasionally, until the hash begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking, shaking the skillet to loosen the hash occasionally, until the underside is browned and crusty, about 6 minutes more. To flip the hash, set a plate the size of the skillet on top of the pan. Invert the pan so the hash falls on to the plate as an intact cake. Invert the hash onto another plate, cooked-side up. Return the skillet to the medium-high heat; add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. When the foaming subsides, slide the hash into the skillet cooked-side up. Cook, shaking the skillet occasionally, for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, shaking the skillet occasionally, until the underside is browned and crispy, about 5 minutes more.

Poached Eggs:
    Set up for poaching the eggs: Combine the water, vinegar, and salt in a large skillet and bring to a gentle simmer.

While the corned beef hash is cooking, crack an egg into a cup and carefully slide it into the hot poaching liquid. Quickly repeat with all the eggs. Poach the eggs, turning them occasionally with a spoon, until the whites are firm, or to the desired degree of doneness, about 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs and transfer to a kitchen towel. Lightly dab the eggs with the towel to remove any excess water. Divide the hash among plates and top with the poached eggs.
    Serve immediately.
    Last edited by SteveK; 03-20-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: text got screwed up in transfer + edit needed
    Because freedom isn't free....

Boolit Master

again I'm in the minority but never developed a taste for it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

Summer sausage i make tastes almost like ham when its fried.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post

Boolit Master

This popped up again, so I'll throw in me $.02 again.

I come from a Family of German Jew's mixed with Irish & Scots. So I grew up on REAL HOMEMADE CORNED BEEF. It was a monthly staple, Corned Beef with potatoes & carrots. Then CB sammiches w/Mustard for lunch the next day. Then Hash & eggs on Sat morn.
    We had a jar of mayo in the back of the fridge, reserved for egg and/or chicken salad sammiches. And of course Turkey sammiches at Thanksgiving.

My Dad always brought cans of MARY KITCHEN CORNED BEEF HASH on fishing,hunting,shooting trips.
    The REAL STUFF fried with poached eggs on top at home. The canned M K in a skillet with 4-6eggs mixed in at camp. Quicky breakfast and go. Still tasted great.
    60yrs later I still make the canned stuff the same way.

Pickleing our own CORNED BEEF died with my Grandmother's. But I still make my own CB HASH from leftovers whenever it boil up a prepackaged CB from the supermarket.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Never had any but the canned stuff. Dad used to fry patties of it and some fried eggs. It was good, bit a little harsh on the back of my throat. I always took some when I went on an overnight fishing trip....it seems my buddy and I always ate better down by the lake.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    After reading this most informative thread I think I have the universal recipe for corned beef hash.

1. Get some corned beef.

2. Find some other stuff you're not afraid to eat.

3. Mix it up

4. Fry it.

5 Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    I wouldn't pay that either. Check Aldi's hash if you have an Aldi's store.
    I cannot tell the difference between Aldi's and Libby's and neither compares to Hormel's "Mary Kitchen".

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    No thanks. You can keep that and scrapple all for yourself.
    Love Corned Beef Hash...but scrapple....I don't eat anything with the word "****" in the middle of it...

Boolit Buddy
    Oh yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    I cannot tell the difference between Aldi's and Libby's and neither compares to Hormel's "Mary Kitchen".
    Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I don't want to be cruel, but--

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005827.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	220807

click to enlarge.

Fried gold potatoes, red onions, corned beef, La Victoria Salsa Brava.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ate at a place in Northern Wisconsin, Woodruff, at a place called Tulas. Probably the best CB hash I have had. They used hashbrowns, cooked a bit crisp, with onions too. The CB they used was excellent.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast