• I'm A Moderate

35 12.24%
  • I'm Under 30, WTH Is It?

1 0.35%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Corned Beef Hash

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I think that a lot of people (but not on this thread) really don't know what the food "hash" is. It's really nothing more than a dish made of any cooked meat cut into small pieces and cooked again, usually with potatoes (and/or other vegetables). Granted the one most people hear about and purchase is corned beef hash, but it can actually be made with any meat and vegetables.

I've made "hashs" with roast beef, left over steak, chicken, turkey, sausage, ham and even bologna. I bought a small slab of bologna at the store, diced it up, diced up some potatoes and tossed some seasonings in and fried it up. Had it with some pork&beans and garlic bread and sweet tea. The kids (then age 12 and 14) would not even try it. Mom did just to please me but she said it didn't really please her palate (she did not like it either). I loved it.
    Hash is the dry version of whatchagot soup. I love a good hash from the remnants of Sunday’s roast of pork, beef or venison. Whatever left over vegetables there are too, add more potatoes if needed, works with left over mashed taters too. Always add have onion in it!

Well done with crunchy edges please

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 415m3 View Post
    Absolutely right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 415m3 View Post
    Is there any other way?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Rabbit hash, yummy!

Agreed

Boolit Master

I made some CORNED BEEF Hash today.
    Mainly because the Corned Beef I made yesterday for Dinner turned out strange. It crumbled when I tried to slice it from the fridge this morning.

I've never overcooked one in 40+ years. Never had this happen.
    So the Wife said make Yourself Hash. She will eat a CORNED BEEF Sammich, Hot or Cold.

But GOD forbid she should eat any kind of CB Hash.

So I made some. It's been YEARS since I made any because My Wife never leaves leftovers.

I don't know what I did wrong. 2 Big potatoes, a quarter onion, chopped small, 3 big garlic cloves, minced, generous salt and pepper.

Fried veggies crispish in Bacon Fat and tossed in CB. Cooked medium for 20 minutes.

Tried a 3/4 cup, a bit dry & bland. Just then My Wife came home. 1430hrs, Why aren't you taking a nap, you know you have to nap between 14-1500hrs. I'll put this away after it cools, go to sleep. So off I go as ordered.

After dinner, as we put things away and clean up. I looked for the CB in the fridge. Couldn't find it, asked ?

Oh, It's in the orange top container. THAT'S ALL OF IT!!!

Jeez, there wasn't enough to fill a can of Mary Kitchen CB. 2 big potatoes, a 1/2 cup of onions and a pound of Corned Beef. All I get is 2 cups of HASH ????

What the heck happened? Did It cook down THAT much.

Or.......... Did My WIFE secretly eat some ? ? ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Oh she ate it.
    They do that. Lot like with money. They never have any if you want something. But they can magically produce it if they need it

Boolit Master
    Hi Shaner.That`s fer sure.On all counts.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Man
    Growing up, my mom would mix a little ketchup and a hint of mustard in it. Cover a piece of bread with it and top it with a slice of cheese. Put it in the oven and bake it until toasty. I loved those sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by shaner View Post
    I created a new dish Sunday. I love Brussels sprouts. Normally I fix them with bacon or ham or smoked sausage. Onions garlic. Fried till good and brown around the edges. Well Sunday I decided to use CBH as my meat. turned out very well!

IF you like Brussels sprouts here is one for you to try.

You start with two 1lb bags of the "Baby Brussels sprouts" and a package of Wright's Bacon (I used to get these at WalMart, but the last couple of times I've looked they no longer have them(?)
    ends use as much of the bacon ends and pieces to line the bottom and sides of a
    covered casserole dish then add the sprouts with as much bacon as required (the bacon ends come in a #3 bag) cover and place in a 350degree oven until the bacon appears done (all visible pieces Have had their exposed fat turn clear)

Don't burn your mouth on a sprout until they've had a chance to cool
    (I know you will anyway

I would give more precise instructions but I'm still working them out.

Last time I did this I included several red-skinned potatoes, that I cut in 1/2" thick slices

If you ever discover anything better than Potatoes cooked in Bacon fat, tell the world!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    IF you like Brussels sprouts here is one for you to try.

You start with two 1lb bags of the "Baby Brussels sprouts" and a package of Wright's Bacon (I used to get these at WalMart, but the last couple of times I've looked they no longer have them(?)
    ends use as much of the bacon ends and pieces to line the bottom and sides of a
    covered casserole dish then add the sprouts with as much bacon as required (the bacon ends come in a #3 bag) cover and place in a 350degree oven until the bacon appears done (all visible pieces Have had their exposed fat turn clear)

Don't burn your mouth on a sprout until they've had a chance to cool
    (I know you will anyway

I would give more precise instructions but I'm still working them out.

Last time I did this I included several red-skinned potatoes, that I cut in 1/2" thick slices

If you ever discover anything better than Potatoes cooked in Bacon fat, tell the world!
    Sounds great! Thanks

Boolit Master

I boiled a whole corned beef for 3 hours and threw it in the refrigerator overnight. Next morning, I diced it up. In a large sauté pan, I put a diced whole onion, 5 cloves diced garlic, 1 chopped red bell pepper and fried until the onion started to get translucent. I then added the corned beef, salt, pepper, 1 tsp Gebhardt’s chili powder & 1 package of frozen potatoes O’Brien fried everything, turning every so often until the mixture had a good crispy crunch. Fried some ranch eggs sunny side up & put those on top of each plate of my version of corned beef hash & got rave reviews from the friends I cooked it for! You can Also sub sausage or leftover steak cubed for the diced corned beef! Have a great Xmas everyone!

Boolit Master

The Target near my home is now carrying 50 oz cans of Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash for $3.86.

BOY HOWDY ! Hash 2 days in a row.

Just noticed the can has a "regular bottom". That means if I put it in the fridge over night. Next morning I can open both ends. Push just enough out for 3/4" slices.
    Six slices to a can, 3 today, 3 tomorrow.

Just like I used to cook it in the long gone days of Bachelorhood. A Poached egg on each one.
    Last edited by Walks; 04-15-2019 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Auto-correct
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    The Target near my home is now carrying 50 oz cans of Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash for $3.86.

Wow that's a can for sure. Plus a great 22 target when it's gone!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Best campfire meal with coffee you can have on a cool morning just before the hunt.
    Amen!

Love the stuff and there is nothing like it on a sub-freezing day in camp cooked in a cast iron skillet with eggs over the fire.

Unfortunately, I started a low-carb diet three months ago and have not been able to enjoy it since. But I have lost 30lbs...

Funny story...

Years ago, my ex-wife and two young kids and I were traveling up from AZ to Moscow, ID and stopped in New Meadows, ID for supper. We stopped at a little cafe on the South side of the main drag through town.

We were the only customers that time of night and a somewhat distraught looking teenage girl came out and took our drink order and left us with menus and two very grouchy and hungry kids. About a half hour goes by and there is no sign of the waitress.

Soon, another waitress shows up and apologizes and explains that our waitress just found out that she was pregnant. Our new waitress was her best friend and worked at the steak place across the street and would take our order. But, the cook was the father and he and our former waitress were out back freaking out, so the cook from the steak place would have to substitute.

Now, normal people would have just left in a huff, but my ex and I were intrigued by the drama unfolding and decided to see how it played out, so we ordered chicken strips for the kids, fish and chips for me, and my wife ordered her favorite sandwich, a rueben.

A few minutes later, the young substitute cook comes out and asks my wife what a rueben was. She patiently explained that it was corned beef, sauerkraut, and thousand island dressing on rye. He seemed satisfied so went back into the kitchen.

45 minutes later, the waitress brings us our food. Smells delicious and looks good and we are all starving by then.

Wife takes a bite of her sandwich and suddenly stops. Slowly puts it down. Swallows hard, and starts laughing. She took the top piece of bread off to reveal that the cook had prepared it with corned beef HASH.

She absolutely hates corned beef hash. Then we discovered the kid's chicken strips were raw on the inside. We decided that we had had enough and left. We ended up driving another little ways up the road and stopping at a fast food place.

Laughed about that experience for years.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Amen!

Love the stuff and there is nothing like it on a sub-freezing day in camp cooked in a cast iron skillet with eggs over the fire.

Unfortunately, I started a low-carb diet three months ago and have not been able to enjoy it since. But I have lost 30lbs...

Funny story...

Years ago, my ex-wife and two young kids and I were traveling up from AZ to Moscow, ID and stopped in New Meadows, ID for supper. We stopped at a little cafe on the South side of the main drag through town.

We were the only customers that time of night and a somewhat distraught looking teenage girl came out and took our drink order and left us with menus and two very grouchy and hungry kids. About a half hour goes by and there is no sign of the waitress.

Soon, another waitress shows up and apologizes and explains that our waitress just found out that she was pregnant. Our new waitress was her best friend and worked at the steak place across the street and would take our order. But, the cook was the father and he and our former waitress were out back freaking out, so the cook from the steak place would have to substitute.

Now, normal people would have just left in a huff, but my ex and I were intrigued by the drama unfolding and decided to see how it played out, so we ordered chicken strips for the kids, fish and chips for me, and my wife ordered her favorite sandwich, a rueben.

A few minutes later, the young substitute cook comes out and asks my wife what a rueben was. She patiently explained that it was corned beef, sauerkraut, and thousand island dressing on rye. He seemed satisfied so went back into the kitchen.

45 minutes later, the waitress brings us our food. Smells delicious and looks good and we are all starving by then.

Wife takes a bite of her sandwich and suddenly stops. Slowly puts it down. Swallows hard, and starts laughing. She took the top piece of bread off to reveal that the cook had prepared it with corned beef HASH.

She absolutely hates corned beef hash. Then we discovered the kid's chicken strips were raw on the inside. We decided that we had had enough and left. We ended up driving another little ways up the road and stopping at a fast food place.

Laughed about that experience for years.
    Great story

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I think that a lot of people (but not on this thread) really don't know what the food "hash" is. It's really nothing more than a dish made of any cooked meat cut into small pieces and cooked again, usually with potatoes ……
    The kids (then age 12 and 14) would not even try it. Mom did just to please me but she said it didn't really please her palate (she did not like it either). I loved it.
    Sometimes we just have to make “me” food !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shaner View Post
    Oh she ate it.
    They do that. Lot like with money. They never have any if you want something. But they can magically produce it if they need it

+2!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post

Target is Very left wing liberal pro-lgbt. They even tried the whole choose your sex at the bathroom door thing till there were sexual assaults & lawsuits. They go with “gender neutral “ toys for kids. I refuse to go there. My $ is better spent elsewhere.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast