• I'm A Moderate

35 12.24%
  • I'm Under 30, WTH Is It?

1 0.35%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Corned Beef Hash

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    FWIW, Wal-Mart has the Great Value brand of corned beef for $3.48 a can. I picked up a can, or several. It's good until 2021!
    It's got a date on it? That stuff has the has the half life of uranium!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Cans used to be considered good if they were not bulged or leaking. No dates.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldscool View Post
    Cans used to be considered good if they were not bulged or leaking. No dates.
    This is still the case. Most dates are "best buy" and not expiration dates. There will eventually be degradation but canned goods last many many years.

Moderator Emeritus

How's the flavor om the Walmart brand compared to Mary's Kitchen(my favorite for canned).

It's ok, actually probably made by the same people just a bit different recipe. Fried up with an over easy egg, tough to compare. I like the Mary's Kitchen if I don't have any left over corned beef (love corned beef) to make my own.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Was going to pick up some corned beef the other day.THEN,I saw the price for a 1lb can.WalMart store brand was $3.68 for a can.Hormels was more.That`s just legalized robbery.It can sit on the shelf till it rots.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

I wouldn't pay that either. Check Aldi's hash if you have an Aldi's store.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This is still the case. Most dates are "best buy" and not expiration dates. There will eventually be degradation but canned goods last many many years.
    The only canned goods that give me concern are your high acid foods like tomato products and pineapples. I've had cans in date eat through both. Never saw that as a kid but I seem to have a can let go every couple years. What a mess too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    The only canned goods that give me concern are your high acid foods like tomato products and pineapples. I've had cans in date eat through both. Never saw that as a kid but I seem to have a can let go every couple years. What a mess too.
    That's why all my tomatoes get canned in glass mason jars

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Was going to pick up some corned beef the other day.THEN,I saw the price for a 1lb can.WalMart store brand was $3.68 for a can.Hormels was more.That`s just legalized robbery.It can sit on the shelf till it rots.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    Wally Mart Great Value is $1.98 for the 15 ounce can and the reviews were pretty good. I'm going to give it a try.
    I have found I actually prefer some of the Great Value products to the name brands.
    I have been a Spam lover my whole life and tend to be brand loyal but tried the Great Value canned Luncheon Meat ( after a hurricane supply run cleaned the shelves of spam) and I hate to say it but it was good and I liked it.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I have found I actually prefer some of the Great Value products to the name brands.
    I as well. Their white bread is pretty darn good.

Moderator Emeritus

Great Value tuna is really good too. and usually a LOT less money!

Banned
    gwpercle,

Fwiw, the BEST TASTING canned refried beans that I've ever found are the HEB house brand for 58 cents a can.

LOTS of store brand items are A-OK.

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    One of my favorite meals. Anyone have a recipe for some "from scratch"?

From scratch, ehmmm. Do you all know what the corn beef is made with? lips and *******. I guess briskets could come close to "from scratch". Basically corning meat just about destroys, covers, or eliminates any basic structure of the initial meat started with. It is basically just curing meat with salt. Sometimes fats are left on like the briskets that might add to the flavor of a dish like a corned beef dinner. But, a corned beef dinner taste nothing like beef.

So, you could take any meat source and corn it with salt. I take all my deer shank meat and other similar scraps when butchering deer and cut it up into small pieces. Get a five gallon bucket, fill it 2/3 with water, add enough Tender Quick to almost float an egg, add a generous Tbs or more of pickling spice (if that may float your boat), stir, then add meat. When the meat starts to sink or mid depth take it out. Rinse if you want. Really the salt solution or its intensity, the length of time on the soak, and the choice of the rinse is where salt becomes to the palate, too salty or not salty enough. Experimentation is needed at this process to you own palate. Something like cooking up a silver stream for the gun you just bought in the spring and needing to figure a load for the fall deer season. You can play with other spices as well. Can in 1/2 pints or pints depending on your possible corned meat consumption.

Finely dice enough taters for the pan you would be using, pour a little oil in, chop up an onion, and add a meaty portion of your corned product and cook with cover slowly just about when the taters are done then turn up the heat and crisp the hash. When you do the process to your liken it can get pretty tasty with "Ah , I ate to much and can't breathe after breakfast" tendencies.

The canned corned meat can also make decent sandwiches. Along with a variety of tablefare uses. Like maybe when the cheese and crackers come out with the salamis, pepperoni, braunschweiger, and the cold dark beer for supper.

Diver ducks, Mergansers, coots, bad tasting wild hogs or their leg parts, porcupine, possum, whatever meat that is really not palatable tablefare is a candidate for this process. Or, if it is too sinewy for the grinder, corn it.

Last edited by MaryB; 10-16-2017 at 08:50 PM.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master

Small potato, diced in 1/2" dice, browned in bacon grease, add teaspoon of garlic (from a press), stir in some, 1/2 can of room temp corned beef, stir in and cook until sorta crispy. Serve w/tabasco & ketchup...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Small potato, diced in 1/2" dice, browned in bacon grease, add teaspoon of garlic (from a press), stir in some, 1/2 can of room temp corned beef, stir in and cook until sorta crispy. Serve w/tabasco & ketchup...
    Mmmmmmm boy howdy sounds delicious

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Eggs over easy...
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ol skool View Post
    Eggs over easy...
    Might as well throw couple biscuits on too

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

As j was reading your post I was thinking to my self he must be from the south and low and behold from my neck of the woods but I'm from Ashland, my corn bread recipe is

1C cornmeal
    1C self rising flour
    1/2 C sugar
    1C milk
    1 egg
    put about 2 table spoons of Crisco in your CAST IRON skillet (about a 8")pre heat oven ton350 an d get your skillet nice and hot pour in your mix (you want it to start cooking on the edges when you pour it in) bake until done around 35-40 min. And you will have the best cornbread ever and by the way I'm 31 and
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I prefer to make my own hash.

Cook in oil, maybe 1/4 cup
    5 medium potatoes diced
    1 good sized onion diced
    parsley to taste
    salt and pepper to taste

when this is cooked

add a can of corned beef
    cook until blended well

cornbread to go with it

1 cup yellow meal
    3/4 cup flour
    1/8 cup sugar, can omit
    mix with fork

milk enough to make a thick batter
    mix

1/8 cup melted bacon grease, added last, stirred well

pour into a cast iron skillet greased with bacon grease

back on 425 until edges a crispy and top is golden brown

Thats the way we do it. Mom taught me, she is from the georgia mountains.

~Bazoo
    Last edited by 43PU; 11-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Crisco???? Nahhh! Bacon fat!!!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast