11 3.85%
  • I'm A Moderate

35 12.24%
  • I'm Under 30, WTH Is It?

1 0.35%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Corned Beef Hash

Banned

nope but one of my favorite breakfasts is taking a can of has about 8 eggs and some cheddar cheese mixed together and putting a blob of it on a biscuit and pour sausage gravy over it. I sometimes if ambitious enough add bacon to it too. I make my sausage gravy in big batches and allways have glad containers of it in the freezer. Its good on fried potatoes or chicken fried steak or about anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    My wife and kids wouldn't eat it so I rarely buy a can but I have a question.
    Has anyone ever replaced the sausage in sausage gravy with a can of corn beef hash? I'm tempted, as in corned beef hash and gravy over biscuits, oh wow I can feel the arteries hardening up just thinking about it.

The Mary Kitchen from Hormel is the benchmark, Libby's Corned beef hash should be avoided due to it's higher water content.

I like mine pan fried in it's own fat but when it is just about done (I like some bits to be crispy) I make divots in the hash with the backside of a soup ladle and into those depressions I add a single pat of butter and one jumbo egg and put the lid on the pan (preheated on a pot of boiling water) and turn off the Heat and allow the residual heat from the hash cook the eggs.

The only seasoning I'll add to the eggs is a shake of Morton's "Nature seasoning"...

Banned
    MaryB,

SOUNDS YUM to me.

yours, tex

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Sorta a "Love it but trying to keep my fat & sodium intake low" position here. So it's a rarer pleasure.

Moderator Emeritus

That is when it is good to make your own. You can make a lean corned beef from a round roast.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Hmmmmm good thought. Folks in this forum are good folks, the lot of you ARE definitely ENABLERS of my firearms addiction, mind you, but good folks LOL

This is a recipe for making corn beef from scratch that comes from a New Mexico Boys Ranch cook book written by my wife Martha with help from others.

CORNED BEEF
    10 LBS Brisket or beef 1 c up brown sugar 1 cup smoked salt
    4 cloves garlic chopped 1 tsp paprika ½ tsp ground mustard
    ½ tsp saltpeter ½ cup water 1 medium onion diced
    2 bay leaves ½ cup Apple cider vinegar
    1 large carrot sliced 1 Tbl salt
    Debone the meat and remove surplus fat.
    Wash the meat well, dry with a cloth and place in a stone crock jar with brown
    sugar smoked salt, garlic , paprika, ground mustard and salt peter dissolved in ½ cup of water. Cover the jar with a plate weighted down on top of the cloth..
    Let stand 12 hours and then add enough cold water to cover the beef.
    Leave the jar in a cool place for 10 days. Then take the beef from the brine.
    But, do not wash it. Place the beef in a kettle with onion, bay leaves, vinegar,
    carrots, brown sugar and salt.
    Cover with cold water and boil until tender. Let the beef cool in the liquid.
    This meat is delicious almost any way you want to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    For those of you that buy the canned stuff, what is your favorite brand?
    Mary Kitchen from Hormel the Libby's brand is too wet, as is the canned hash from Aldi's stores

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Heck... Im thinking bout trying another batch of hash myself. Might add some green peppers and see how that is. I aint ever added egg.

Sometimes we do the same thing as hash, but use ground sausage instead. Ats pretty good too.
    Hormel's "Mary Kitchen " brand offers hash in three varieties and my local Walmart carries all three types
    Corned Beef, Roast Beef and Sausage(Which I've never tried)

To be honest, The Sausage hash gave me an idea, to make my own.
    starting with a 1lb roll of fresh sausage and two medium Onions and a bag of Ore-Ida
    Frozen precut potatoes from the freezer section.
    Break up the sausage and cook until it is almost done then add the onions
    when the onions turn clear add the frozen potatoes.

Serve with fried eggs cooked in the left-over sausage grease. and coffee (If You don't drink coffee can you be trusted?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Armour is a common brand round these parts. Its salty.. but not bad. If you make some taters to add to it, it evens out the saltiness decent.
    A good way to get potatoes diced correctly for adding to it, is Ore-Ida brand frozen precut Potatoes O'Brian sold at most stores and all Walmarts

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    I have never acquired a taste for it.
    I've found that if you spend enough time outdoors at sub-freezing temps that you will do strange things like eat the disc of congealed fat found at one end of a can of chili and discard the rest, or eat a stick of butter like a popsicle. (perhaps sugaring it)

Boolit Master

After several months and several pages, it's still hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by lead-1 View Post
    Ok, I did it finally and it didn't turn out too bad for as ugly as it looked.
    I'm not in the know for homemade biscuits or gravy so a packet of McCormick's country gravy mix worked in it's place, a can of Armour corned beef hash and a couple of Mary B's buttermilk biscuits. I just heated the hash in a sauce pan and made the gravy while the biscuits were in the oven. When it was all done I just poured the hash in the gravy, mixed it up and poured over the biscuits.
    Like I said it didn't look real appetizing but it was pretty tasty with a dash of pepper. Maybe next time I will fry the hash until crispy then put in the gravy.

Awww, my mom taught me to make sausage gravy by adding flour and bell's poultry seasoning
    and a can of evaporated milk, I added additional onions and minced garlic on my own.

My father is the one that makes the biscuits and he NEEDs Numbers and I tell him 2% milk and biscut mix to consistency,
    SCREW the numbers, and he goes off on a rant about language and I suggest putting the bowl on his head and going to dig worms somewhere far away.

It is too simple a task for him to deny the need to screw it up with overthinking it.

Sorry guys I keep coming back to this thread... I'm going to put the can of Mary Kitchen Roast beef hash that sits on my desk back in the pantry

Moderator Emeritus

hmmm you just gave me an idea to try. Tator tots when broken up are the right size for hash... thaw and smash then cook...

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    A good way to get potatoes diced correctly for adding to it, is Ore-Ida brand frozen precut Potatoes O'Brian sold at most stores and all Walmarts

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    After several months and several pages, it's still hideous.
    It sure is!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Man
    I had never tried corn beef hash before, and not because I'm under 30 Living in the Philly suburbs our goto breakfast meat was always bacon, scrapple & Taylors pork roll. After reading this thread, I asked the wife to put some Mary's Kitchen on the grocery list. Tried it this morning for the 1st time and have to say...it was really really good Just fried it up in a pan with a couple eggs over easy on top & buttered toast. I think next time I'm going to try it with some Texas Pete hot sauce...just because everything tastes better with Texas Pete on it.

My wife is frying that can of Mary's Kitchen low sodium right now. Going to add 2 fried eggs and some shredded cheddar. I'll know in a few minutes if it's good.

It was pretty good! A little bland, so I added a little salt, fresh ground pepper(with my awesome pepper mill), and some green Tobasco sauce. That made it very good!

Boolit Master

I start it off with melted butter or bacon grease, and chopped dried onion with minced garlic. Add the CBH and sprinkle with Lawry's Seasoned Salt. It takes a while to cook out the water in the taters and get some crispness in the beef, all the while making the cook shack smell really good.

Moderator Emeritus

I use a griddle to fry it on, spread it out in a thin layer to cook off the water and crisp it faster. More crispy goodness that way too! And yes, start with a little bacon fat! The onion/garlic are optional if you are in a hurry.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast