11 3.85%
  • I'm A Moderate

35 12.24%
  • I'm Under 30, WTH Is It?

1 0.35%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Corned Beef Hash

Boolit Master

I like it, but at $4 for a 10 or 12 oz can, I will wait. I must admit that it goes well with eggs and home fries or hash browned potatoes.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I like it, but at $4 for a 10 or 12 oz can, I will wait. I must admit that it goes well with eggs and home fries or hash browned potatoes.
    I usually make my own form leftover roast beef and the potatoes and carrots I roasted in with the meat. But I keep 2-3 cans in the pantry for that craving... it is REALLY salty so I limit it... I used to ignore how much salt was in my food... then I passed 60 years old...

Already got potato plants sticking above ground but no corned beeves vines.

By the way, Morton's "Tender Quick" product is a pretty good basic do-it-all corning mixture to add your spices to. Obviously not for the rub-snubs and aficionados of meat cookery but extremely useful for the casual beef and pork processing kinda guy that wants to turn cheap meat into special treats. Besides, like at breakfast this morning, it makes the wife happy to have smoked bacon that's almost all meat.

I have to have a can of Mary Kitchen every month or so. I alternate between the Roast Beef and Corned Beef Hash. I love both.

Boolit Master
    I can’t believe we’re reviving a six roll thread about corn beef!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Corned Beef Hash

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    I have to have a can of Mary Kitchen every month or so. I alternate between the Roast Beef and Corned Beef Hash. I love both.
    Ditto. We usually buy the corned beef cans and add our own taters. Makes more for your $$.

I just counted seven cans of it in my pantry.

Love it fried in a cast iron skillet.
    Fried crisp, to be exact.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

I opened a can for breakfast for some reason it would not crisp up in a enamel pan next time I will try cast iron pan . Nothing better then corned beef hash with the eggs poached on it with Bacon and toast .

This is a large can of corned beef hash from Adli's at least 4 breakfasts from it before it is gone now for the next big question . Which do you like best on the toast cream cheese or Jam?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Corned Beef Hash

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I opened a can for breakfast for some reason it would not crisp up in a enamel pan next time I will try cast iron pan . Nothing better then corned beef hash with the eggs poached on it with Bacon and toast .

This is a large can of corned beef hash from Adli's at least 4 breakfasts from it before it is gone now for the next big question . Which do you like best on the toast cream cheese or Jam?
    Gotta B sourdough!!!
    Gramps would say Cheez Wiz!

Boolit Master

Knott's Boysenberry Preserves on sourdough toast.
    Butter on rye toast.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Vendor Sponsor

I just now had some Libby's CBH! Topped with eggs over easy and warmed nacho cheese. Poor man's Eggs Benedict. I WISH there were some black olives in the pantry but not this time.

I can't like the Mary Kitchen the taste is just not there for me. and the Libby's, I like to open the can, turn it over and stick a hole in the bottom, blow in the hole and push out 1" then carefully slice it and drop the slices into a clean dry non stick skillet cook them on medium until you see the edges browned at the bottom, now bump the side of the pan just a little and see if the slices slide around. If they do it means there is a nice browned crispy bottom and you can flip it over and do the same. Don't "test" too early the slice will just loosen up and go to pieces.

Something about the Libby's brand, it develops a certain taste when deep browned on both sides that only Libby's has.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I just now had some Libby's CBH! Topped with eggs over easy and warmed nacho cheese. Poor man's Eggs Benedict. I WISH there were some black olives in the pantry but not this time.

I can't like the Mary Kitchen the taste is just not there for me. and the Libby's, I like to open the can, turn it over and stick a hole in the bottom, blow in the hole and push out 1" then carefully slice it and drop the slices into a clean dry non stick skillet cook them on medium until you see the edges browned at the bottom, now bump the side of the pan just a little and see if the slices slide around. If they do it means there is a nice browned crispy bottom and you can flip it over and do the same. Don't "test" too early the slice will just loosen up and go to pieces.

Something about the Libby's brand, it develops a certain taste when deep browned on both sides that only Libby's has.

I like your slicing technique ... Attaboy !

If you've got Libby's , Libby's , Libby's on the Label, Label, Label , you will Like it , Like it , Like it , on your Table , Table , Table !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-21-2023 at 09:18 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Old thread but yea, hash is awesome. If I am buying canned I will buy corned beef but have enjoyed the Roast Beef and Roast Pork variety but not as good as the CB. I actually like the cheap stuff from Aldi’s, it has less salt ans a bit more taters in the mix.

I just made home made from a left over pork roast (a nice fatty one from half a pork butt). When I made the pork roast it had a dry rub of salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. I let that sit in a pan for two days with the seasoning (the roast wasn’t quite thawed so I put it back an extra day).

I used about 1.5 pounds of left over roast, two white potatoes and a carrot. I diced the carrot and potatoes and put them on to boil. Precooking those two avoids having hash with uncooked carrots in it. After all hash is basically made from leftovers. I ground the roast with a cast iron hand crank grinder with the biggest (least blades) grinder.

Add a couple tsp of pork fat from the bottom of the tupperware to melt in the pan. Add pork, onions, carrots and tators. More black pepper, a bit of salt, a pinch of cayenne pepper, a couple shakes of crushed red pepper. Mix it up, pat it down and let it crisp up. Flip it to crisp other side, mix it up a bit and crisp it more. In a seperate pan fry two eggs in more of that pork fat from the tupperware I stored the leftover roast in. As Emeril Lagasse says... Pork Fat Rules. Plate up a generous amount of hash, place the two fried eggs on top and I had two pieces of dry rye toadt. (I’d normally butter my toast but I had ample fat in the meal already).

Ah ha, a timely reminder to go get the last of the carrots up out of the garden.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I once did a lot of cruising with a sailboat. Crossing oceans etc. One of my main staples on board were those somewhat triangular tins of corned beef from Argentina. Chop up some onions and garlic and let everything simmer a while and then add Tyme and canned whole kerneled corn from a tin. Simmer a bit more, if you had some hot peppers, that was always a plus. Simmer a few minutes more and serve on rice. It’s one of the best boat meals that can be made from tin cans.
    I still make the same thing while I am on land.

Boolit Buddy
    I think while y'all were eating CBH we was eating canned salmon or something. Never had CBH till I was in my 50s. Don't figure on having either for the balance of my days. I'm guessing it really never made it to my part of Texas. IDK

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Papalote View Post
    I think while y'all were eating CBH we was eating canned salmon or something. Never had CBH till I was in my 50s. Don't figure on having either for the balance of my days. I'm guessing it really never made it to my part of Texas. IDK
    I remember when canned salmon was one of the cheapest canned meats you could buy. We would mix it with some flour and make cakes and then fry them in bacon fat. They were sure good.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314