RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Which CZ ?

Boolit Buddy

Which CZ ?

Need opinions on a rifle purchase.
    Would you buy a CZ 527 LUX or the CZ 527 American?
    Caliber choice: .223 or .222?? Have no intention of using lead cast (I feel I'm too old to find a load that will shoot consistently so it will be for J's only. The .222 I have now will only group a little over 1"/100 yds and I need a tighter group than that, and these are not consistant.
    Please state a reason for your choice.

Boolit Grand Master

The American stock fits me better for scope use. .223 brass is much more available than .222.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-24-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Boolit Master

I bought the American version in the Russian 7.62X39 calibre and they are a quality rifle. I bought the Soviet calibre version as I have good 223s already and I took advantage the affordable surplus Russian ammo that was available several years ago.

The American version in the Russian calibre... Just doesn't sound right does it.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    CZ 527 FS (Full stock). The full-length stock only touches the barrel loosely at the muzzle, and the barrel is full floating from there to the receiver, so the stock nowhere influences the barrel. Mine is in 223 Remington and the accuracy is amazing. On a still day, I have been able to get groups less than 1/2" off sandbags.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master
    LUX or American? The LUX feels better when shooting anything other than from the bench. The American looks better, at least to American eyes.

.222 or .223? .222. The only rifle I had in both calibers was the Remington 788, and the deuce would consistently outshoot the .223. Not by much, and the .223 is slightly more powerful; but I looked at both of these rounds as finesse not brute power rounds. Easy ammo availability goes to the .223, but I don't think you are going to be buying your ammo anyway.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have a 527 American and a 550 full stock. If you are looking for sub moa then you're going to want the American. This is not to say the Lux or the full stock are not accurate because they are very accurate. The stock is set up so the use of a scope while the hog back stock is better suited for open sights.
    When shooting my 550fs I have to have my cheek sitting higher on the stock than I normally do and it takes time to get used to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I've owned two 527
    first one was a American in 223, a beautifully figured blond stock, and shot J-words very well, that was years ago, and I don't recall the bullet/powder combination I settled on?
    But I wanted to shoot boolits, so I sold the American to a friend and bought one in 222, the only one on the shelf at my LGS was a LUX, a very dark walnut, so dark, that if it had figure, you couldn't see it. I'm still working up loads, so that jury is out. The 222 has a longer neck and slower twist, which should favor the boolit...that is my reason.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 04-24-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    For all around shooting, I feel the LUX is much better. I have 6 CZs in 452 and 527, all stocked with the LUX style stock. I shoot them from the bench just fine. I suppose if one is only going to shoot from a bench rest the American stock would be more suitable.

Despite what one poster stated about the American stock looking better to American eyes, I must disagree. I am an American and much prefer the LUX style stock to the plank that passes for a stock on the American models. Back in the 60s when it was fashionable to bash any thing related to the "Monte Carlo" style stock, (stocks, manufacturers and owners), in favor of the straight comb style, I kinda got my back up and haven't owned a "classic" stock except when it was no option such as the ruger 77, none of which I any longer own due to ruger's asinine decision regarding distribution in the late 80s, and the fact that I don't like their stocks.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I have an American 527 in .222. I haven't found the best cast load for it yet but it is very accurate with J bullets. I just wanted a .222 because when I started reloading in 1977 all the reloading books loved the .222. Also everyone has .223's. Brass is easy to form from .223's if you need cheap brass.

I personally would go LUX or FS. But the American will work better with a scope. I have the carbine in 7.62x39 and my next 527 will probably be a 223 in a FS. I like open sights....
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

I gotta agree with Hick above. I have the same rifle and with a small Leupold scope this thing is a tack driver out past 250 yds. I need to find a decent mold for a spire point boolit of 50 - 55 gr and then work up a decent load for it. My LRN's cast boolits are OK but nowhere as good as the J words. This is a fine gun and well worth the bucks.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the LUX, looks good, longer barrel and etc. But are these difficult to scope?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    What do you mean by "difficult to scope"?

The only problem I ran into when I scoped my 452s was the rear sight had to be removed because of the objective bell interference. Otherwise, clamp on the rings and mount the scope. I have the Leupold 3x9 Compact AO on all my CZs except the 221 which has a Leupold 3-9x40 AO.

crashcorrigan: If you find a load using a spire pointed 50-55 grain cast bullet, PLEASE let me know. I have an old Lyman "pointy" bullet mold that casts beautiful bullets and they shoot, on a good day, a pattern that would embarrass a load of buckshot from a blunderbuss. I have tried this bullet in many different rifles and calibers from Hornet to 223, hardness, lubes, and within the sizes allowable from .223 to as cast, gas checked and no gas check, seating depth, with grease wad and without, various powders and primers, all to no avail.
    Last edited by roysha; 04-26-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by buggybuilder View Post

I like the LUX, looks good, longer barrel and etc.

But are these difficult to scope ?

They're a cinch to scope, but don't buy the expensive CZ rings, as their fit/finish is awful.

I installed a set of nicely polished & blued Burris CZ rings @ half the price of the CZ rings ( www.swfa,com )- and didn't need to remove the rear barrel sight because I used a Leupold 2-7x28 scope, which has a smaller objective bell than larger scopes.

FWIW, I've had a .22H M-527 Lux & a .223 M-527 FS, both bought new - the FS ordered sight unseen.

I returned the .223 FS because of both the so-so accuracy and the stock that looked like peanut butter (absolutely no grain/figure).

The Lux was the best IMO, due to the upgraded wood.

I had them before the American model was introduced, and so had the magazine shortened to flush fit and the TG webs removed/refinished by a fellow forum member ($60).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    So, did you guys buy from your LGS or Cabelas or Gander MT? The latter of the two have their prices set at manufacturers suggested list price of over $700 and I feel that is too much for a Lux. I also thought about "BudsGunShop" but have read the reviews and they were not that favorable. Suggestions please!

Moderator Emeritus

I bought my lux (in 222) from my LGS, it was 3 or 4 years ago, I recall the price being around $650. I try to buy from my LGS as much as possible. The last gun I bought at cabela's was a plain savage axis (in 243), for $219, my local shop just can't and won't compete with those type of sales.

Many Gander Mt stores are closing or are gonna close soon. Maybe they'll have some closeout deals?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    used to have an American in 19-223 very nice little rifle
    between your choices I would opt for the 222 rem in the CZ American
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    I've read the reviews about BudsGunShop. Many were not favorable. Anyone had trouble with firearms orders?

I have a 527 Lux in .22 Hornet purchased new 15+ years ago. To my knowledge the American-style stock was not being imported yet. The rifle came with very high rings . I am not sure if they are CZ or Millet rings, cannot remember. In any case, they make the 2-7x Leupold sit above the action far higher than needed. With the minimal recoil of the Hornet it is not a problem. If it was in a caliber with significant recoil, the high scope mounting coupled with Lux stock drop would make felt recoil more noticeable. The setup looks a little strange with the very high rings, but this is not the fault of the rifle. I have never got around to changing the rings. It shoots fine as is. I shoot offhand almost exclusively.

Also have a 550 American in 7 X 57 Mauser purchased new about 15? years ago. It has a 3-9X Burris which is mounted in Millet rings of appropriate height to comfortably clear the barrel. With the straight stock and normal height scope rings, recoil is not an issue. It is a fairly heavy rifle too. The wood is nothing special, rather plain. The Lux wood is noticeably better. Two examples comparing wood quality do not prove anything, however.

I like both rifles very well. If I was buying one in a hard kicking caliber I would go with the American style stock.