RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Rook rifle

Boolit Buddy

Modern Rook rifle

I've wanted a rook rifle for a long time but they are usually too expensive or chambered in some obscure caliber. This is one I built in .32 S&W long. I made the stock and forend from black walnut a friend gave me from a tree he had removed from his yard. The barrel is a 9/16" TJ liner. It shoots quite well with both factory and handloads. Best 50 yard group so far is .727" CTC for 3 shots. Best 25 yards is .620" CTC for 5 shots. It likes 1.8 grn of bullseye under a speer 98 grn HBWC.

This is a straightforward project for someone with the right tools.

Plenty good enough for letting the air out of squirrels, bunnies, groundhogs and other tasty critters.
    Last edited by Buckshot Bill; 08-29-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Boolit Master

One of the coolest things I have seen in a long time! I am a .32 S&W-L addict.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bravo Zulu!

Delightful!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

Very nice. WHat action is that built on?

I have a ruined .30-30 barrel for a Savage 219 I plan to do something similar with one day.

I believe that is the Yildiz folding 12 ga action from Academy sports.

They sold for about 100$. Although in theory you could do it with most single shot break action shotguns, H&R etc.

Nice stock!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks men!

It's a chiappa little badger, formerly a very inaccurate .22 WMR. Not a tank of an action but I wanted slim and lightweight. And it has held up fine so far with factory pressure loadings.
    Last edited by Buckshot Bill; 08-29-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Boolit Mold
    @Buckshot Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot Bill View Post
    Thanks men!

It's a chiappa little badger, formerly a very inaccurate .22 WMR. Not a very strong action but I wanted slim and lightweight. And it has held up fine so far with factory pressure loadings.
    That may be because the SAAMI MAP for the 22 WMR is 24,000 psi and the MAP for the 32 S&W Long is only 14,500 psi (and most commercial ammunition is downloaded from that because of all the weak break actions in this caliber).

Marshall

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I believe that is the Yildiz folding 12 ga action from Academy sports.

They sold for about 100$. Although in theory you could do it with most single shot break action shotguns, H&R etc.

Nice stock!
    Those little Yildiz .410s would be just the platform for something like this if the trigger pulls could be made good.

I love the whole Rook Rifle concept. My Savage 219 in .22 Hornet comes pretty close, I love to squirrel hunt with it. A .32 might be a bit better on small game and would have the ability to interchange ammo with a good trail gun as well.

Banned

Just googled Chaippa Little Badger because I didn't know what they were. Man alive are those ugly. If nothing else, you sure improved the looks of that one.

Something to consider, a while back gnoahh tald me about some quality 3/4" tubed scopes being imported that are clones of the old mini Redfields. Just the ticket for some dimunitive rifles, and I've been wanting to get one for a .22 Hornet I want to keep slim and light. I'll so some looking around and see if I can find a link to them again.

Modern Rook rifle

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Something to consider, a while back gnoahh tald me about some quality 3/4" tubed scopes being imported that are clones of the old mini Redfields. Just the ticket for some dimunitive rifles, and I've been wanting to get one for a .22 Hornet I want to keep slim and light. I'll so some looking around and see if I can find a link to them again.
    Do you have any more information on these scopes? I'd be interested if you could find a link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

Ebay link here;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rimfire-4X-r...MAAOSwHMJYOdtJ

Was meaning to get one for a Winchester 72A I have, that short little action would be nicer if it had a scope that was the right size.

Boolit Grand Master
    Love the idea of a Rook Rifle. You made a dandy there.

Boolit Master
    That is a wonderful little scope. I have two now, mounted on dainty little single shots that would have been dwarfed by any "modern" scopes. Excellent optics- better IMO than the discontinued Redfield it was cloned from. Positive repeatable adjustments, little or no parallax, sharp image from edge to edge- what's not to like? Made in China troubles you? Know this: Chinese optics manufacturers will give you a crummy product or a first class product depending on what you ask for/expect from them. I got the impression from the entrepreneur who had these made that he rode his Chinese guy hard to get the quality he was looking for, and it paid off.

I'm going to get yet another one just to salt away in case they disappear from the market.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Ebay link here;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rimfire-4X-r...MAAOSwHMJYOdtJ

Was meaning to get one for a Winchester 72A I have, that short little action would be nicer if it had a scope that was the right size.
    \Might have to try one of those eventually. I'm spoiled by illuminated reticles for low light shooting.

That is such a neat little rifle.

Well done!!

Very Cool, thanks for sharing
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

instead of a .75" tube scope, I'd put more stock into an EER scope. in .75" if you could find one of course. But folded, the scope sticks out too far IMO. An EER scope would be just the ticket. Depending on how the balanced shifted when unfolded.

I like it. and VERY impressive given no lathe. I'd like to make something similar. But I have a lathe.

Banned

I have one of the old Redfields with the EER, not sure what to do with it. Was thinking it might eventually be good on a break open single shot.

Boolit Master
    There was a Burris 5/8 tube pistol scope I think 80s. I have one mounted out front on a Sheridan blue streak. Wish I could find another.

Great job on the rifle! Massive improvement to the appearance too! 32swl just rock!!!!

I have one in 32SWL on a Yildiz, thinking a lighter mainspring could do wonders for the trigger. I can accept it as is. But it really would be more fun with a decent trigger pull. It's smooth enough just HEAVY. The mainspring was designed for shotgun primers, lots tougher cup than a special primer, gotta find that rountuit and see what I can do.

Ment to add, I got one of the Redfield copies and it is a very nice scope, plain and simple,,, just right.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    There was a Burris 5/8 tube pistol scope I think 80s. I have one mounted out front on a Sheridan blue streak. Wish I could find another.

Great job on the rifle! Massive improvement to the appearance too! 32swl just rock!!!!

I have one in 32SWL on a Yildiz, thinking a lighter mainspring could do wonders for the trigger. I can accept it as is. But it really would be more fun with a decent trigger pull. It's smooth enough just HEAVY. The mainspring was designed for shotgun primers, lots tougher cup than a special primer, gotta find that rountuit and see what I can do.

Ment to add, I got one of the Redfield copies and it is a very nice scope, plain and simple,,, just right.
    I'd love to see yours, the yildiz look like much higher quality than the hatfield I was planning on using for my 45-70 liner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast