RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 9mm to 308 Weight Range ?

Banned

9mm to 308 Weight Range ?

I was thinking about one of those 9mm to 308 conversions sets later in the year, and wondered what range of bullet weights can be made with it. Can you fill me in?

Boolit Buddy
    150 grain with 6s point for me......don't do it .....too much work for mostly **** bullets. Got a bullet stuck and quit.

Boolit Master

I believe BTSniper has played in these waters a bit and may be able to provide you more insight, as well as Swaging dies if needed.

Corbin's makes a die for sizing 9mm down to jackets, and then their swage dies for a .308 bullet.

I tried swaging some 9mm dies just to satisfy my curiosity, but didn't like the looks of the "Jacket's" I had made - not having a "Punch" of the correct diameter and form I was getting some skewing of the brass to one side as I sized it down. Probably works better with a good punch/punches in the sizing operation.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I am making 30 cal bullets from 9mm brass, with BTSniper dies.
    The weights with no exposed lead is from 125- 135 grains.
    I have not tested their minute of angle potential, instead burning them up practicing ambidextrous standing and, rapid fire with transitions to sitting and prone at 25M.
    I really do not recommend the practice of making 30 caliber bullets from 9mm, you need to have a lot of time to spare.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

In Remembrance

The better bet, in my opinion, is to use the 5.7 X 28 FN brass for making wonderful .308" HP bullets. The 150 gr bullets I make are perfect for my 300 blackout. And, I have made them as heavy as 168 grain, for use in my M1A with 308 Win ammo. However, they can be made quite heavy if you are OK with an exposed lead tip. Possibly up to about 200 grains.

Sure, the 5.7 X 28 FN brass is a bit more difficult to get. But, I have traded over the years for the equivalent of at least two full 5 gallon buckets full. That's several tens of thousands of bullets. And, every one is sub MOA.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Duke is right, 5.7 brass does not require near as many steps to become a jacket. The time savings is well worth the cost of the brass.
    And the bullets I make with 5.7 brass weight very close to 165 grains with no lead exposed.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    I use Dave Corbin's 9 to 308 die after annealing one pass done. 9 brass or 5.7 both work.
    " CANCER SUCKS" I swage .224, 6mm, 7mm, .308, 9mm, .40, .429. Also 9 to 30 jackets, and 9 to 9 jackets.

Banned
    So just pick up the 9mm to 308 dies, and run 5.7 brass through it?

Boolit Buddy
    Anneal first,then one pass thru die.
    " CANCER SUCKS" I swage .224, 6mm, 7mm, .308, 9mm, .40, .429. Also 9 to 30 jackets, and 9 to 9 jackets.