RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Need help deciding

In Remembrance

Need help deciding

I have a .177 springer that shoots very well and takes tree rats pretty well out to 25-30 yards. I need something to have a little more punch at out to 35-45 + yards. I have done some research and determined that I need a gas piston gun in 22 caliber. I need the gas piston for longer times that it can be cocked without losing power or setting the spring.

I have limited amount of money to spend so here are the two that I have narrowed it down to. If you have experiance with these or something in to price range of 125-160 that is accurate and still have the power I need please tell me about it.

Here are the two: Gamo Wildcat Whiper in .22 And Hatsan M85 in .22.

Help please.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

For me I'd go for the Hatsan.

I also active over at the Gateway to Airguns forums. If you go read over there for a while after a bit you will discover you have made a mental note to yourself to never buy Gamo. Not that any one line is bad, more like it is a **** shoot with no way to predict what you will get.

I have been looking hard at Hatsan 85 95 line, as I would like another .22 with a bit easier cocking, a bit less speed than my beast of a 135. Not that I don't like her, but she can be intimidating.

Now some will say that you can get a bad one from Hatsan as well, but from what I have seen the odds are much much better that you won't. And what can I say, I am a sucker for turkish walnut. Man that stuff looks GOOD.

I like Hatsan's combined weaver/11mm dovetail rail. I wish their scope stop went further back. In order to get the scope right I had to remove the scope stop entirely.

The good news is the Hammers 3x9x32 with the one piece mount I got on Amazon is holding rock steady without it.

As to Vortex/gas ram I only have one true springer. A Chinese B3 under lever.
    That gun is a pain to shoot, littorally. Forward, back, torque, buzz, twang you name it it has it all. The 135 in comparison is a pussycat. While not really quiet, it is a much shorter cycle with less noise and moderate recoil.

For sure I am a fan of the gas piston guns.

For me it all comes down to 1 standard. Will it shoot as well as my old blue streak? With more power? And no ties to high pressure air bottles, or other hidden costs? And will it shoot Crossman Premier Hollowpoints accurately?

Old blue sets the bar fairly high. And I refuse to spend 100$ of dollars in endless searches for the perfect pellet. So I tend to stock fairly decent quantities of HPCP.
    Anything I buy has to be able to shoot them at least reasonably well. YMMV.

Boolit Master
    You may want to check out Field Supply for a hatsan. They run some pretty good buys now and then. I bought a Torpedo 105 in .22 for about 150.00 from them and could not be happier with my purchase.

Boolit Master
    At the moment midway is having a decent sale on hatsans. I should be getting a bt65 in .25 in any day now.

Ebner

My brother recently bought a Hatsan 95 in .22 cal. and is very happy with it so far. Says it's very accurate.

Boolit Master
    That price range is hit or miss.
    For accuracy.

Boolit Master

Hatsans are accurate and they are reasonable. I have an Edge Vortex 22
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

In Remembrance

Thanks Guys. Keep it coming.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    I just picked up a Crosman Vantage for under a hundred. No frills, hits hard. Too new to comment much on accuracy, seems promising.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 04-25-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hw 90.

Boolit Buddy

Here is another option,

http://www.airforceairguns.com/

Can be bought in one caliber and then changed to another cal with just a bbl change,
    bbl lengths run from 12 to 24",

I am working a dealing on a 22 cal Condor.

There a couple of the guys shooting and hitting out to 1000yds+.

YMMV,

Tia,
    Don

Boolit Buddy
    Hatsan .25 barrels are large diameter (unless they have changed in the last few years). The only pellet I could get any accuracy with was marksman. Most of the hatsans could do with a deburr internally when you get them. They are still great value. Modern springs don't really lose power if you leave the gun cocked. There is no need for gas rams.BB

Boolit Master

Disagree gas rams are great.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.