Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply PBcastco
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Ship Ammunition Via UPS - Yes It Can Be Done - Follow The UPS Rules

Boolit Buddy

I have some old collector ammo to sell and that will probably motivate me eventually to give this a try with fedex sooner or later. I'll write back to this thread when I do so as I'm looking to hear from people who have scheduled a pickup of ammo before and so far it seems no one has in this thread unless I missed something. I'm really far from a shipping center and the drivers are very friendly here so I have a feeling it will all work out but I want to try it one time to be sure before planning on it.

Boolit Mold
    Even though the policy is the same, the implementation varies from location to location.
    NRA Patron Member; SCI Life Member; RMEF Life Member; NSRPA Life Member; NAHHC Life Member; HHI Member; Cast Bullet Association Member

Boolit Buddy
    How is the shipping label handled at the UPS customer service center? Does UPS generate it, or do you have to put a generic label on and UPS puts on a cost label

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I just shipped some, and it was a pain. Fed EX and UPS employees are not sure about their own rules and you get the runaround. I called FED EX and was told no. I called UPS after reading what was on their web site and the lady that answered the phone had to yell across the room and ask someone every question that I ask her. In the end I used factory cartridge boxes with the individual compartments, wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a bigger box, severely taped up. Just like they advise on their web site. When I went into the store and said I was shipping small arms ammo I was told that they could not ship firearms for an individual. Go figure! I had to explain the difference between a firearm and ammunition to the clerk. Fortunately the manager was sitting close by and things went ok after that. They furnished the required ORM-D stickers for me and were nice enough. Use the smallest box that you can get by with, it was pretty pricey. Just to be sure, I ask at the Post Office. I get along with them pretty well. They said no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Steven View Post
    How is the shipping label handled at the UPS customer service center? Does UPS generate it, or do you have to put a generic label on and UPS puts on a cost label
    I've always provided my own.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I was able to sign up on UPS website and input my package data and print out a paid label, Lady at the UPS counter weighed it, my weight was low by 2.6 pounds, she said that was close enough and off it went.

Boolit Master

I don't bother to tell UPS or USPS anything, everthing is "Machine Parts"
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quoting Walks...

"I don't bother to tell UPS or USPS anything, everthing is "Machine Parts" "

This is similar to the axiom I learned earlier in life. "It's only illegal if you get caught."

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Name:  ORM-D shipping snip.JPG
Views: 2468
Size:  15.9 KB
    My "Swappin & Sellin" feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=btreanor

Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Quoting Walks...

"I don't bother to tell UPS or USPS anything, everthing is "Machine Parts" "

This is similar to the axiom I learned earlier in life. "It's only illegal if you get caught."

Cheers,

Dave
    I'm reminded of the axiom that the squirrel has to beat the dog to the tree or the fence every time, the dog only has to get there first once, by skill or by luck it sure doesn't matter one bit to the squirrel that didn't get away fast enough that one time.

UPS will do it legal if you follow their rules, the USPS it's not going to be legal. Me I think I would avoid the yard with the dog. Dog might be slow but still get lucky. And it isn't like there has never been a box split open by any of the shipping operations.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I'm reminded of the axiom that the squirrel has to beat the dog to the tree or the fence every time, the dog only has to get there first once, by skill or by luck it sure doesn't matter one bit to the squirrel that didn't get away fast enough that one time.

UPS will do it legal if you follow their rules, the USPS it's not going to be legal. Me I think I would avoid the yard with the dog. Dog might be slow but still get lucky. And it isn't like there has never been a box split open by any of the shipping operations.
    This topic reminds me of a trade I did many years ago, with a member who is now on the deadbeat list. Of course he wasn't on the list, when I did the trade.
    anyway, his part of the trade was to send me some used 44 mag cases. What I got in the USPS flat rate box was a mix of 44 and 45 colt brass, some with live primers, and some were live ammo, loaded with cast boolits. While it went through the post office with no one the wiser, I often wondered if the box did get inspected (or broke open), if I as the recipient was liable for anything. So, if a sender is breaking the USPS rules, they may be putting at risk another party, who doesn't have a clue to what was done.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Quote Originally Posted by badbob454 View Post
    My ups box store
    Accepted my shipment 18 lbs of 270 ammo he asked what I was shipping I told him ammunition. Cost 49.00. But worth it.
    My local UPS box store refused to ship a wooden rifle stock. I explained that the content of the box was 100% wood, didn't matter. They said they would not ship a gun. I explained that this wasn't a gun, it was a piece of wood; no metal. Didn't matter, they won't ship a gun.

This all came about because it was an expensive rifle stock, and I wanted to insure it. When I asked to insure the package for $1000 they insisted on knowing what was inside. I thought that was reasonable, but the outcome was very unreasonable.

Banned
    I think the bottom line is that the clerks no longer represent their companies policies, They exercise control of the shipping by reason of their political ideology. I went through the same thing with FedEX. The "woman on the phone" told me stuff that was directly different and opposed to their written policy. Godless workers have no compunction to tell the truth so they give you the run around.

Boolit Master
    A few months ago I tried to ship live ammo at our Fedex hub location. Usually I go there to send out a firearm but this visit was only for an ammo shipment. Their clerk told me they do NOT accept ammo shipments at their hub location, only from an FFL storefront with a pre-scheduled pickup appointment. This sounded wrong from everything I have read so far, but she was the only one there I could speak with. It also sounded like they would not carry a shipment from one private person to another, only business shipments. I then asked if she had the blue ORM-D stickers I could apply to future shipments. She responded "no, ask our drivers for those." All of her answers sounded very odd for a hub location's operations. I will make a few calls and try to find out what the Fedex regulations currently state for this activity.

Boolit Master

I have shipped before by FedEx and UPS (live ammo & primed brass) and all the Government regulations require is the label as shown by Btreanor. IF it is loaded ammo, it needs to have the Cartridges, small arms label on it(you can print the one he shows or a hand printed label works), or if it is primed cartridges cases--not loaded ammo--you only need the label without the Cartridges, small arms(only needs to read ORMD-D(I think the D no longer needs to be on the label). USPS will NOT ship either loaded or primed and it is illegal. Your call as to whether it is worth the chance. The last time I shipped ammo, the local UPS store owner told me that UPS now was requiring it to be brought to a UPS hub store that had Hazmat trained employees. But he took it and mailed it for me anyway saying "once I accept it they will ship it and just warn me not to do it again" "I have done this before for customers". Your call, james

Banned

Shipping Ammunition
    How to Ship Ammunition (Cartridges, Small Arms)

UPS accepts for transportation such ammunition as constitutes "cartridges, small arms," as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59. All other allowable ammunition shipments are accepted only on a contractual basis, and must be prepared under the rules for a fully regulated hazardous material.

Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 (Hazardous Materials), and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials. To meet the exception for Limited Quantity/ORM-D, ammunition can be shipped via UPS Ground only within the 48 contiguous United States, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska.

To qualify as "Cartridges, small arms ORM-D" or limited quantity, ammunition must be:

Ammunition that does not exceed 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol cartridges or 8 gauge for shotgun shells; or
    Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition

How to Package Cartridges, Small Arms

Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, partitioned within a snugly fitting outside box or in metal clips. Cartridges must be properly cushioned and protected from accidental initiation. The inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packaged in securely closed outside packaging that will not open during transit. The package may not exceed 66 lb. (30 kg).
    Is a Hazardous Materials Label or Marking Required?

Yes, (until December 31, 2020) packages that meet the definition of Cartridges, small arms must be marked with the proper shipping name "Cartridges, small arms", and designated as "ORM-D". Materials marked "ORM-D" and shipped by UPS Ground within the 48 contiguous states, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska do not require hazardous material shipping papers. This marking may either be in the form of an ORM-D sticker, or written by hand. If written by hand the letters "ORM-D" must be enclosed by a rectangle that is ¼" larger on each side than the designation "ORM-D". (Note: The image below can be printed, cut out, and securely taped to the box with clear packing tape.)
    ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms

Alternatively, a black and white limited quantity marking (approximately 4 X 4 inches) may be used. (see example).
    ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms

Print the ORM-D or Limited Quantity marking and securely affix to your package. If using the limited quantity marking, please place on package as a "square on point" or "diamond".
    Getting the Package to UPS

Cartridges, small arms may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Cartridges, small arms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location.

Domestic Cartridges, small arms shipments that meet the exception for Limited Quantity/ORMD packages and that comply with all UPS requirements for the shipment of ammunition (as set forth above, in the "Shipping Firearms or Ammunition" guidelines, and in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service and the UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping ("UPS Terms")) may be delivered by UPS to a third party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location in the United States.
    Will I Pay An Additional Fee For Shipping Cartridges, Small Arms?

When shipping ORM-Ds or Limited Quantities of hazardous materials by UPS Ground within the 48 contiguous states, UPS Ground Intra-Oahu or Intra-Alaska, only the standard shipping charges apply. There are no "accessorial" or additional charges.
    Important Additional Information

Ammunition may not be packaged with firearms
    Ammunition may not be shipped to individuals under the age of 18
    Ammunition is not accepted for shipment internationally

For additional information regarding firearm and ammunition shipments, see "Shipping Firearms or Ammunition," at the link below, or contact UPS.

Shipping Firearms or Ammunition

UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions (U.S)

All shipments tendered to UPS for service must meet the terms and conditions of service found in the UPS Terms. For specific information applicable to the shipment of ammunition, please follow the link below, download the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States and go to Section 3.6:

UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service

A trick I use on pickup shipping is to have the prelabeled package on the doormat on a day when an Amazon or such package is arriving. I just put a post-it note on it with ‘UPS, please take with you, thanks much’.

...always need something from Amazon or Midway or such.

Print label from UPS.com, label package with the ORM-D and done.

Shipping ammo by UPS

Heard there were some new UPS rules around shipping loaded ammo. Something about different labels. Last time I shipped, the box needed to be shipped from a hub with ormd sticker. What’s the skinny? Anything new?
    When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. Otto von Bismarck

Moderator Emeritus

need the black and white diamond label for Hazardous Materials

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...mmunition.page
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for this. I may need it in the near future.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    The black and white diamond marking and a UPS customer service center (not a satellite service center) should work. I have done without issue. Note that UPS stores are not necessarily customer service centers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast