StainLess Steel MediaRotoMetals2RepackboxGraf & Sons
WidenersInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Ship Ammunition Via UPS - Yes It Can Be Done - Follow The UPS Rules

Vendor Sponsor

I have some old collector ammo to sell and that will probably motivate me eventually to give this a try with fedex sooner or later. I'll write back to this thread when I do so as I'm looking to hear from people who have scheduled a pickup of ammo before and so far it seems no one has in this thread unless I missed something. I'm really far from a shipping center and the drivers are very friendly here so I have a feeling it will all work out but I want to try it one time to be sure before planning on it.

Boolit Mold
    Even though the policy is the same, the implementation varies from location to location.
    NRA Patron Member; SCI Life Member; RMEF Life Member; NSRPA Life Member; NAHHC Life Member; HHI Member; Cast Bullet Association Member

Boolit Buddy
    How is the shipping label handled at the UPS customer service center? Does UPS generate it, or do you have to put a generic label on and UPS puts on a cost label

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I just shipped some, and it was a pain. Fed EX and UPS employees are not sure about their own rules and you get the runaround. I called FED EX and was told no. I called UPS after reading what was on their web site and the lady that answered the phone had to yell across the room and ask someone every question that I ask her. In the end I used factory cartridge boxes with the individual compartments, wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a bigger box, severely taped up. Just like they advise on their web site. When I went into the store and said I was shipping small arms ammo I was told that they could not ship firearms for an individual. Go figure! I had to explain the difference between a firearm and ammunition to the clerk. Fortunately the manager was sitting close by and things went ok after that. They furnished the required ORM-D stickers for me and were nice enough. Use the smallest box that you can get by with, it was pretty pricey. Just to be sure, I ask at the Post Office. I get along with them pretty well. They said no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Steven View Post
    How is the shipping label handled at the UPS customer service center? Does UPS generate it, or do you have to put a generic label on and UPS puts on a cost label
    I've always provided my own.

Boolit Buddy
    I was able to sign up on UPS website and input my package data and print out a paid label, Lady at the UPS counter weighed it, my weight was low by 2.6 pounds, she said that was close enough and off it went.

I don't bother to tell UPS or USPS anything, everthing is "Machine Parts"
    Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

Boolit Bub
    Quoting Walks...

"I don't bother to tell UPS or USPS anything, everthing is "Machine Parts" "

This is similar to the axiom I learned earlier in life. "It's only illegal if you get caught."

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Name:  ORM-D shipping snip.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  15.9 KB
    My "Swappin & Sellin" feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=btreanor

Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Quoting Walks...

"I don't bother to tell UPS or USPS anything, everthing is "Machine Parts" "

This is similar to the axiom I learned earlier in life. "It's only illegal if you get caught."

Cheers,

Dave
    I'm reminded of the axiom that the squirrel has to beat the dog to the tree or the fence every time, the dog only has to get there first once, by skill or by luck it sure doesn't matter one bit to the squirrel that didn't get away fast enough that one time.

UPS will do it legal if you follow their rules, the USPS it's not going to be legal. Me I think I would avoid the yard with the dog. Dog might be slow but still get lucky. And it isn't like there has never been a box split open by any of the shipping operations.
    Je suis Charlie
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this way of getting casting material somehow.
    Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat I do trade a bit from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I'm reminded of the axiom that the squirrel has to beat the dog to the tree or the fence every time, the dog only has to get there first once, by skill or by luck it sure doesn't matter one bit to the squirrel that didn't get away fast enough that one time.

UPS will do it legal if you follow their rules, the USPS it's not going to be legal. Me I think I would avoid the yard with the dog. Dog might be slow but still get lucky. And it isn't like there has never been a box split open by any of the shipping operations.
    This topic reminds me of a trade I did many years ago, with a member who is now on the deadbeat list. Of course he wasn't on the list, when I did the trade.
    anyway, his part of the trade was to send me some used 44 mag cases. What I got in the USPS flat rate box was a mix of 44 and 45 colt brass, some with live primers, and some were live ammo, loaded with cast boolits. While it went through the post office with no one the wiser, I often wondered if the box did get inspected (or broke open), if I as the recipient was liable for anything. So, if a sender is breaking the USPS rules, they may be putting at risk another party, who doesn't have a clue to what was done.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badbob454 View Post
    My ups box store
    Accepted my shipment 18 lbs of 270 ammo he asked what I was shipping I told him ammunition. Cost 49.00. But worth it.
    My local UPS box store refused to ship a wooden rifle stock. I explained that the content of the box was 100% wood, didn't matter. They said they would not ship a gun. I explained that this wasn't a gun, it was a piece of wood; no metal. Didn't matter, they won't ship a gun.

This all came about because it was an expensive rifle stock, and I wanted to insure it. When I asked to insure the package for $1000 they insisted on knowing what was inside. I thought that was reasonable, but the outcome was very unreasonable.

Boolit Master
    I think the bottom line is that the clerks no longer represent their companies policies, They exercise control of the shipping by reason of their political ideology. I went through the same thing with FedEX. The "woman on the phone" told me stuff that was directly different and opposed to their written policy. Godless workers have no compunction to tell the truth so they give you the run around.
    AKA hans.pcguy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12