Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
PBcastcoLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gord water canteen

I put 4 on op of my kitchen cuborads and the rest in my somewhat heated garage, trying to figure out which would be better. I may try scraping my two greenest ones to expedite drying.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0BC5FB15-CFB5-4D85-B206-D44BE22F1CCA.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	213967

Name:	38295E74-CB00-4A50-9C02-212E72B45D65.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	213968

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I did coat the inside and outside of the gourds with fiberglass resin for my wife to make flower pots or knick necks out of.
    It made them stronger , but I never made them into canteens
    Ah, it is a comfort in old age to find how fifty year old memories return! They make, or used to make, a special tasteless resin or gelcoat for boat water-tanks.

I think the wax they use for candle-making has a higher melting-point than the hand-mouldable kind I used to remember in childhood, and certainly than beeswax. Although I am sure the last is the type used back in the earlies, the candle wax is probably more durable and less likely to impart a taste.

I remember someone breaking a lamp she had had for several decades, made from sort of dried tropical calabash. It turned out to have numerous examples of some kind of weevil glued to the inside by whatever had dried there. That could be a social liability if you say, like Colonel Kilgore in "Apocalypse Now", someone you admire can drink from your canteen. You should always choose the lesser of two weevils and I think it might be the resin.

Scraped two in about 10 min.

Name:	1E96BFA2-A7B9-4FC0-A5EF-BA9672015265.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	213984

Boolit Master
    keep us posted. i had one i used for years, took to all of the F&I events and kept it in my attic till one day i found out that MICE rely like them, end of my LARGEINAREA GOURD WATER BOTTLE! so do not store them were the little critters may be, where ever that might be? there every where!!.

In Remembrance
    The canteen that I HAD was about 14" tall with a long neck. They also make great Bluebird houses! Here in Wisconsin it is best to start seeds indoors as they take a long time to mature.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

SOOO.....scraping two of my gourds resulted in them starting to turn into a raisn rendering them unusable for a canteen. Bummer! I have two left that I did not scrape and are just about dried, have a good shape and size, not to big not to small.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Many Many years ago, I grew Gourds and Pumpkins.
    I made some two piece molds out of plaster of paris.
    Then while the gourd would still fit inside, I clamped the mold around the gourds or pumpkin and let it finish growing.
    It wasnt always 100% , but it was and interesting project.
    I tried it after I saw something in school in the '60's about a pumpkin farmer making Aluminum molds and growing pumpkins that looked like Abraham Lincolns face.
    In Japan they grow square watermelons using glass boxes . They have better stacking and eye candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12