Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gord water canteen

Gord water canteen

Wanting to grow a gord and make a water canteen. I saw one a few years ago and it was real simple. Anyone try making one? If so what type of gord do I need, methods used to keep if shaped the way you want it while growing. I'm assuming you have to waterproof the the inside.....melted beeswax? Any info and pics helpful

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Try this https://www.gardeningknowhow.com, then use the custom search "gourd canteen".
    Last edited by dagger dog; 04-21-2017 at 06:50 PM.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Thanks I'll check it out. I found a place in WI, Quarry Farm Gourds that sells seeds for all sorts of gourd varieties. I bought 12 Canteen gourd seeds for $6 shipped. The are up to 12-15" diameter up to 6" tall. I saw this gourd used for making a canteens as well as Pumkin hollow gourds. They take a year to dry though. Hurry up and wait.

In Remembrance
    I had a nice gourd canteen several years ago ( note the key word......had). You need to be careful in handling them when filled with water. Mine fell off a table and split, well, like a water filled gourd! If you do rendezvous events, you may find one already made.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Well I got two mounds of guards planted after soaking and then trimming edges to help germination. I have one that has started sprouting after a week. Hopefully everything works out! Mazo Kid.... did you coat the inside of yours you had with beeswax! I hear that is a method some use. I'd imagine it would be fragile when filled with water.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    My Mom has a bowl of dried gourds she puts out every fall for the holidays as a decoration. same bunch for probably over 30 years. Im pretty sure she got them fresh and let them dry. some rattle, some dont. Mostly all small ones. I doubt they would be very strong for canteen use. It would probably work, but after the time and effort spent to dry them, and have them leak or drop... Might have to make them in bulk and expect some...loss

I would suggest sandwiching a few of the gourds between a couple of boards, so that the boards can be drawn together to gradually compress the gourds into a flat shape while they're growing.

Please don't forget to post pics of your endeavor for us to drool over.........

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Look here.
    http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/gourd.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on my Canteen Gourd trial this year. I had 2 out of 12 seeds make it, with a couple not even germinating. I started 2 mounds with 3 or 4 seeds in each outside after clipping and then soaking seeds for a week and keeping on top of my water heater to help the process. Those seeds sprouted and began to grow however spring rain led to stem rot and they started to die off, I dug the remaining seedlings out of the ground and move em into my 5' x 5' green house and they took off quite well. Late August, the two plants just grew like will fire and crawled up my fence and one up my bean strings. They then blossomed and produced gourds that stayed about the size of a golf ball for the longest time. About Mid August to the third week I wrote this season off as a bust as I didn't think they would grown big enough in time, however I was wrong, the gourds plant with the most sun produced some nice big gourds, prolly to tall for a canteen, the plant with half sun has some nice size hours growing. According to the inter web I should pick them when the vine turns brown which I am assuming when the plant starts to die, then wash the gourds in a mild bleach solution to kill any mold on the gourds which would ruin or create dark spots on the gourd. Also I was watering 2x daily, morning and evening, the evening watering on my zucchini and butternut squash led to leaf fungus which spread like crazy, but not much on the gourds. Also the Cucumber beetles were chewing things up purdy good so I had to spray a few times to keep them at bay. I'll post some pics soon of my two gourd plants. Next will be harvest and then a long drying time until I can make a gourd.

Boolit Man
    How much shine can one carry?

Boolit Master
    Many Many years ago, I grew Gourds and Pumpkins.
    I made some two piece molds out of plaster of paris.
    Then while the gourd would still fit inside, I clamped the mold around the gourds or pumpkin and let it finish growing.
    It wasnt always 100% , but it was and interesting project.
    I tried it after I saw something in school in the '60's about a pumpkin farmer making Aluminum molds and growing pumpkins that looked like Abraham Lincolns face.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to make gourd canteens to sell at rendezvous. Not hard to make, just takes time.
    You have to scrape the gourd to get them to dry properly. After they are dry, you have
    to coat them with shellac or varnish to help keep them from cracking. Then you need to
    coat the inside with beeswax. Even coated with wax, the water never tasted that good
    and they were very fragile. I use to have my wife make a macramé net around the gourd
    with a carry strap. While I sold quite a few, the guys used them mostly for their persona
    as a mountain man or colonial soldier for historical reinactments. Fun to make, but not
    practical for everyday use, being so fragile.

Boolit Grand Master

Wonder if you used a long cure clear epoxy instead of the shellac / varnish if it would soak in and strengthen them some. maybe same on the inside to seal better. A couple coats would seal from the gourd and maybe make a better barrier. But then I've never tasted really good water from a canteen LOL

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    How much shine can one carry?
    Ditto, I was right there with ya man.

Boolit Master
    I did coat the inside and outside of the gourds with fiberglass resin for my wife to make flower pots or knick necks out of.
    It made them stronger , but I never made them into canteens

Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    I used to make gourd canteens to sell at rendezvous. Not hard to make, just takes time.
    You have to scrape the gourd to get them to dry properly. After they are dry, you have
    to coat them with shellac or varnish to help keep them from cracking. Then you need to
    coat the inside with beeswax. Even coated with wax, the water never tasted that good
    and they were very fragile. I use to have my wife make a macramé net around the gourd
    with a carry strap. While I sold quite a few, the guys used them mostly for their persona
    as a mountain man or colonial soldier for historical reinactments. Fun to make, but not
    practical for everyday use, being so fragile.
    Can you elaborate on scraping? Just curious. Good tips!

I thought about board type clamps to keep em flatter, however one of the gourd plants that grew in half shade is producing small diameter and "squatter" gourds than the plant in full sun....makes sense. I have tried to upload pics to my phone to then upload here but it keeps giving me an error message. I have not exceeded my 10mb on my photo limit for this site so will have to figure it out on my apple desk too which is always fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by duckey View Post
    Can you elaborate on scraping? Just curious. Good tips!
    ducky; The gourd will have a waxy like skin when ripe. This has to be scraped off with a
    sharp knife so the gourd will dry quickly. The hardest part will be getting the seeds and
    membrane out of the gourd. Working through the small neck opening I use a 1/4 in rod
    flattened out like a small spoon, bend it into a small curve and scrape the inside till the
    seeds and junk fall out. Go easy so you don't break the neck. Sounds like fun. don't it.
    Good luck with your project.
    webfoot10

A good way to work against their fragility is to pad the gourd canteen with leather.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    ducky; The gourd will have a waxy like skin when ripe. This has to be scraped off with a
    sharp knife so the gourd will dry quickly. The hardest part will be getting the seeds and
    membrane out of the gourd. Working through the small neck opening I use a 1/4 in rod
    flattened out like a small spoon, bend it into a small curve and scrape the inside till the
    seeds and junk fall out. Go easy so you don't break the neck. Sounds like fun. don't it.
    Good luck with your project.
    webfoot10
    Thanks for the tip. I have not scraped any of mine. Had one darn near dry by Late November, all the others started to turn about a month ago.ill post some pics today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast