Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Elk hunt--125grBP + Blackbelt(powerbelt)--long

Boolit Grand Master

Elk hunt--125grBP + Blackbelt(powerbelt)--long

A report on the hunt and performance of the bullet, using the 125 gr load, from my other post.
    Actually, I had gone my limit for the day(hurt foot) and was heading back to the truck. Elk had been bugling all around me for hours, but never got close to them. Making my way down thru the edge of the aspens and stopped to enjoy the view, when there was a bugle about 100yds thru the trees. Walked over to the edge of the aspens and looked. Saw something and got out the bino's and spotted cow elk bedded down. Watched them for 10 min or so, and they got up and moved towards the higher country. Saw a nice rack following them, and then heard another bull bugle lower, so moved deeper into the trees. The first bull came back towards the lower. Drew a bead many times, but trees in the way (and shaking like you wouldn't believe). Saw an opening in the trees where the bull was headed, so put the sights there. He moved into the opening and stopped.
    He was slightly quartering away, and shakes momentarily stopped, so pulled the trigger.
    At the shot, once I could see, he had walked about 10 ft and looked around to what caused the noise. I thought I MISSED!. How could I have missed, it was only 75 yds or so and felt good. I grabbed a speedloader out of the bag(shaking), poured powder in, got bullet out, and started in muzzle. Bull was still standing and looking around. Pulled ramrod out and seated slug. Replaced ramrod and pulled capper out of bag, heard a noise, but didn't look as was capping the nipple. Finished loading, and looked. No elk in sight. Thought he took off, so walked to where he had been, and started checking the area. Found him about 40 ft away.
    Took him behind the shoulder, angling forward a bit, and a bit high, about mid-way up the body. Found the bullet, or should I say what was left of it. No exit hole, but when we cut off the quarter, it dropped on the hide. Looks like it probably just destroyed the upper lungs on its way through and came to rest against the right shoulder. Might have penetrated a fraction in the shoulder. Some fragments of the bullet were against the hide, actually almost penetrating the hide, probably 6" away from the main part. Too high a velocity at impact, bullet acted more like a varmint bullet with its violent expansion, but where I hit it, it worked perfectly. Final weight was 223.4gr, but a bit of hair/blood still on it, so probalby close to 220 would be the final weight. Fragments were probably close to 80 gr or so.
    Definitely too hot a load and will go down quite a bit, if I draw muzzleloading again. Was a nice 5 X 5 bull. First bull I ever took.

[IMG][/IMG]

Congrats on the bull! Good account of the hunt.

Boolit Grand Master

Well done!

Larry Gibson

Vendor Sponsor
    Welcome to the leadhead meat getters society. I hope to bag my first lead head bull this November. I booked a guided hunt just NE of Gardinier MT in Jardine MT. I am going to use a 1895 japchester in 405 win. I had Dan of Mountain moulds make me a 350 wln plain base mould. I seat this on top of a grease cookie, cardboard wad and 45 gr of H4895 surplus for just under 1800 fps, and very close to MOA accuracy. I will post pictures if I have them.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nicely done; that young 'un will make some dandy wapiti sausage. Similar to chorizo but much better flavor. Just remember that BP and cast lead almost exterminated the bison. They definitely play well together.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Looks to me like a

BUNCH of Fun and EATING lying there.

Congratulations!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

great lookin bull! Told you about how sensitive they are with heavy loads.

guy on my forum shot a cow with a 348gr aerotip powerbelt and 80gr blackhorn209, 60 yard shot and the bullet exited.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well done. Love to hear the real world results and analysis of loads and how they work. I think you are right that so much speed made your bullet act like a varmint bullet. Frontier gander's observation about his friend that used the same bullet at a much slower speed to give deeper penetration is very instructive. Happy BBQ'ing.

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you for the picture and the GREAT reading... Next season I get a turn again ! It is a toss up between my .58 flinter or an 1881 45-70 Marlin ...

Boolit Master
    Great story.... and bullet autopsy....

Aloha...

congrets on the bull elk. had eaten elk once, if that is too much meat for ya. send some to me

wow what alot of weight lost on the bullet.