Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

View Poll Results: Which W.C.F. caliber do you prefer for your rifle and pistol combos?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32 W.C.F. (32-20)

12 17.14%
  • 38 W.C.F. (38-40)

16 22.86%
  • 44 W.C.F. (44-40)

42 60.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rifle Pistol Combo: Which W.C.F. Caliber?

Boolit Master
    Went that route years ago around the date President Reagan banned assault rifles. Winchester Trapper purchased new from Jerrys Sports Center prior to the Button and Angle eject models in 44 mag and a NIB 7-1/2" Ruger Red Hawk in caliber 44 Mag w/ EPaso holster.
    Couldn't develop a reasonable accurate loading that could be used in both 44s. So the Trapper went down the road. Kept the Ruger 44 Mag. Have only one regret.
    "I should have purchased that Trapper in 30-30." If asked would I match another pistol to a rifle? No I would not.

Boolit Master

Was gifted great grandfathers Winchester 38wcf deluxe many years ago, it's still in fantastic shape and I shoot it often, a few years ago I called Cimarron looking for a SAA in 38wcf and was told they were not making anymore, asked to speak to a supervisor and they put me in touch with the CEO, we talked for about half an hour and he agreed to make me one when they made their next run of SAA, about 8 months latter he gave me a call and said it was ready.
    had it sent to my LGS and have been very happy with this gun. Polished blue 5.5" case red dot frame. Shoots great and great companion to my Winchester.

I voted for the .44-40 because I like the cartridge. Traditional. Fun to reload for. Getting it right is part of the challenge. But, that having been said, what would be wrong with a .44 Mag combo? You could use black powder, if that is your desire, and can also used .44 Spec. (assuming that it would feed through your rifle) for practice. The .44 Mag./Spec. is easier to load for and you get away from the thin walled neck of the .44-40.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the 32 WCF covered with a ca. 1902 1892 and a somewhat newer Navy SAA clone. Working on the 38 WCF with a ca. 1923 1873 but still looking for an 1873 Colt to go with it. No interest in the 44 WCF at this time. 32 is a sweet little cartridge that's easy on your powder and lead supply, the 38 is a cool cartridge. 44 rifles and carbines are a bit pricey and won't do anything I won't try to do with a 38.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 05-03-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for the votes and replies. I believe at some point I will have to give the 38-40 a try. Currently I have a rifle in 44-40 and revolvers in 45colt. I have found that I really enjoy shooting 45 Schofield from the revolvers. I like how the Schofield and the 44-40 both use the same shell holder. After a day of shooting black powder I can easily decap all my Schofield and 44-40 brass together and throw them into the tumbler. The short Schofield cases are also easy to sort out from the 44-40. For now the 44-40 rifle and the 45 revolvers are my combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Buddy
    My 1914 vintage Colt Single Action Army-Frontier Six Shooter .44-40 goes very nicely with my 1905 vintage Marlin 1894 rifle .44-40. Both still shoot as well or better than I can.

Being an old guy myself I tend to appreciate the old guns. Haven't paid enough attention to the newer stuff to recommend one over another.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Went that route years ago around the date President Reagan banned assault rifles. Winchester Trapper purchased new from Jerrys Sports Center prior to the Button and Angle eject models in 44 mag and a NIB 7-1/2" Ruger Red Hawk in caliber 44 Mag w/ EPaso holster.
    Couldn't develop a reasonable accurate loading that could be used in both 44s. So the Trapper went down the road. Kept the Ruger 44 Mag. Have only one regret.
    "I should have purchased that Trapper in 30-30." If asked would I match another pistol to a rifle? No I would not.
    So you never went that route?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I voted 44WCF as that's what I shoot in long and side arms. I do have a 25/20 1908 vintage 1892 Winchester and a selection of 32WCF rifles, but no handguns in those calibres. They are all enjoyable and very useful.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I have 7 44-40's, 4 pistols and 3 rifles, so I reckon the obvious choice would be 44-40.

A few years ago, I would've quickly said "44-40", because it would seem to be a more practical, all around cartridge. But, because they're less expensive than 44-40's, I picked up an 1886 production '73 Winchester in 38-40, then another made in 1890, then a 1903 Colt Bisley found its way into the fold, then a 1902 Colt SA, then another Bisley made in 1905, ALL in 38-40. I now love the cartridge and shoot the rifles a lot, and at my 200 yd. steel target where they do very well:

The revolvers, especially for their ages, shoot very well too:

And finally, my old rifle has proven its worth in the field twice in the last few months!

Here are the two bullets I use. The one on the right, from an RCBS mould, is loaded over black powder and used for hunting.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Agree with the above 35 Whelen for the same reasons. I have also a bisley like above and have my eye on a 73 Winchester for 1K that looks pretty good in 38 WCF. I think 38-40 is maybe easier to work with from the start and the advent of 40 S&W has made a vast amount of 40 caliber bullets available although some don't work in a tube fed rifle. Hey and "dinging" steel at 200 yards is just flat out fun with these rifles that have a time delay from the "bang" to the "ding".

Boolit Master
    For What Its Worth
    I ran a Rossi '92 in 357 mag on black - no problems
    21 Grains FFF - Lee 158Gr Flatpoint (mold no 90303) .....357 mag makes a nice simple blackpowder round - brass is everywhere cheap
    as to the original question I think my choice would be 38/40

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12