Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: S&w 14-2

Boolit Master

S&w 14-2

I just purchased a S&W 14-2 in .38 Special. I don't know much about this model. I would like to hear from those that do.
    thanks
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

I have one, it was made in 1967 and was new in the box when I got it a few years ago.
    I haven't shot it much, maybe 300 rounds, but it likes 148 gr. wc with 2.7 grs. of Bullseye.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

K38/Model 14

I've shot a K38 for more years than I care to remember. It's always in the queue when deciding what to take to the range. Almost any 38 Special load will shoot well in them. I mostly shoot 148 grain HBWCs in mine, but 150 grain RN or 158 grain SWC designs are just fine too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S&W 14-800.jpg   S&W Model 14-640-90%-2.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 04-22-2017 at 12:00 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Man
    I have two, a 14 no dash and a 14-2 that is unfired with the box, tools, paper work and the original bill of sale. The 14 no dash is my go to small game gun. With a Lee 125 RNFP cast from wheel weights, 6.0 of CFE Pistol, and a WSP primer it will put them all into a quarter at 50 feet off bags. The 14-2 remains unfired and will probably remain so until the other one wears out.

Perma-Banned

The 14's were great guns. I really have a soft spot for them.

Moderator Emeritus

IMO, it may be the most accurate out of the box revolver ever made in DA or SA. I like a load from the speer manual that is now rated as over pressure so I will not republish it but it is with the 358477 LY bullet. Mine has shot so much DA ppc it needed a new hand but has accounted for a lot of grouse, rabbits and ground squirrels.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    I love them. I have 2 currently, a 14-3 and a 14-6, and they are wonderful guns. Load 'em with wadcutters and they'll last for ever. There is no better gun for the one gun owner.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

In Remembrance

My 6" 14-3 likes 3.3 gr. HP-38/Win. 231 powder with a Lyman WC. Neighbor got an unfired 14 - 4 that had been a `store gun` for a small store owner. There were 2 loaded rounds in the cylinder, the remaining chambers still had the factory grease in them. The pistol was hidden from view in the top of an open nail keg, I can`t talk the neighbor out of that pistol as he says it`s more accurate than he is.Robert

These were designed as target revolvers. There were three in the series, K22, K32 and K38 chambered for the 22 LR, 32 Long S&W and 38 Special respectively. Dispite the caliber differences, they all matched in weight. This was accomplished by different barrel profiles to compensate for the variance in cylinder weight.

The K38 became the Model 14 when numbers replaced model names. You have an excellent revolver which you will find to be a great shooter. Keep the loads to standard factory pressure (non +P) and it will serve you well for a very long time. It can be used for target shooting, small game, plinking and defense.

I have had quite a few of these over the years. I now have only a K22 and a K38. Here is the K38.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K-38 (640x321).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I have been shooting my grandfathers old colt .38 special, and needless to say I have been gentle with it. I just figured it was time to retire that revolver and get a newer .38 special. Although, a couple of nights ago I loaded it with bird-shot rounds and finally nailed that rat that has been going after the bird feeder. Now that felt good !
    I have been shooting a lot of .357 in my other revolver, but don't like shooting 38 rounds in them as those rounds really darken the ends of the cylinder.
    Basically I just need an excuse to buy another firearm...
    thanks for the information guys..
    atr
    Last edited by atr; 04-21-2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    I have one an love it. It is one of my favorite SW guns.

Mine is a 14-2 as well. 1968 production IIRC
    148wc and 3gr of BE=way too much fun!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Great revolver. Got a pair myself, but there isn't much to add to what's been said. Also have a Model 16 which used to be cheap practice for the Model 14, but now it's just about the other way around!

Boolit Master
    Model 14's are a keeper.
    Will have mine for life any way. Wouldn't mind a nice set of grips though.

Banned
    My current model 14 is a dash 3 and was in like new condition when I got it. I can't say for certain that it was unfired but it certainly may have been.
    They're incredible revolvers.

Restrict it to standard pressure loads and it will outlive you.
    You have a great gun !