MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Kansas school offering gun safety class

Banned

Kansas school offering gun safety class

I have coached air rifle teams at two high schools now and some high schools here even have trap teams, but I didn't figure this would happen. Good news.

http://ksn.com/2017/04/20/kansas-hig...-safety-class/

Boolit Master

This is good to see; right after the election at an NRA dinner for frontline volunteers the speaker said one thing that would be happening is gun/hunter safety/ shooting teams in schools across the nation and political/student groups on every college campus.

Boolit Master

Us "fly over" folks get it right once and a while. I didn't even have that when I went to school. Of course, we were allowed to bring rifles, shotguns to school with us. We either put them in the Principals office or it seemed every boy with a pickup had a back glass mounted gun rack.

Good for them! As it is a constitutional right, make it part of Civics class...
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

It is a good thing. Make it an elective class for those who want to learn about firearms and the safety needed to use them.
    And then for the anti gun people, offer a class on how to survive when you can't go to the supermarket to get a TV dinner for dinner. Or when the thugs come to take what you have. Or anything else that is needed when everything falls to pieces.

Boolit Buddy
    That's great news. teaching firearms "safety" doesn't mean anyone has to support firearms use by individuals, just that we need to teach our kids how to be safe around guns. Juneau (AK) Middle Schools all require the 6th grade classes to take "Outdoor Skills" which has a firearms safety component. But we live feet from a huge forest with lots of bears, so it's only smart due to the large population of gun owners here. I'm glad to see this.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master
    This is a good idea. When I was in the eighth grade in the late seventies the game warden for Bates county came and gave a week long hunter education class to all eighth graders. The next year we had week long boating safety course taught by the Missouri State Water Patrol.

I don't know if it was the principal or the superintendent that set it up, but I had fun and learned a lot in the classes. I think at least the gun safety class should be mandatory.

Robert0

There is about 4 or 5 high schools in my county and the surrounding 3 counties that have trap shooting teams. I have a Grandson and a Granddaughter on one of the teams. Now to shock you folks, this is in California!!! That would be Northern CA. that is far more conservative then other areas in CA. I met the trap coach, retired law enforcement, that helped to get the teams going and I donate a custom knife to them for their yearly raffle to obtain funds for the team member kids.

Boolit Master

A proposal is in the Idaho legislature for the same classes
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia