Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New IMR Powders

New IMR Powders

Dose anyone know anything more then what they got on there website of these powders. IMR Red,Green ,Blue? Are they to be about the same as the Dots powders? Any idea.Also IMR Target .I know there is one of the new ones is already being talk about Unequal .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I'm also curious about Unequal considering Alliant products are hard to find in this area.

Banned

I wish they would have come out with a "1200 +1200"
    Good to see any and all powders out there
    I like it
    I see no reason that the powders will not perform well

Boolit Grand Master

I have 24 38sp loaded with 158gr Berrys plated over Target to try out with a chrony. Started at 3.2 and have 6 each 3.2/3.4/3.6/3.8gr which is max before +P I think. I'd have to go back and check on that. I'll try them today and put up a report on the results. The velocities according to IMR are well over anything else with the powder charges listed
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I wish they would have come out with a "1200 +1200"
    Good to see any and all powders out there
    I like it
    I see no reason that the powders will not perform well
    Amen, Brother! Amen!

Target=Bullseye
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned

in some applications they will be similar to the dot powders.
    in volume I think the same but in weight not so much.
    unequal will be pretty direct, and target will be close but I haven't seen any actual printed hand gun type data for them yet.

Boolit Buddy
    IMR Target and Bullseye are identical weight and volume wise. I loaded a test batch of .45 Auto for a Pepsi Challenge to see how they stacked up. When switching from Bullseye to Target, I didn't change the charge bar setting. I just made sure the measure was completely empty and filled it up. Still set for 4.0 grains of Bullseye, it dropped 4.0 grains of Target.

According to Quickload, Bullseye's charge weights run roughly two tenths of a grain higher to match the velocities given with the load data on Hogdon's website.

The actual comparison shooting has been delayed for a couple weeks. I'll be sure to post the results when I get a chance to go to the range.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Looking forward to it. Target is a few bucks cheaper around here and Bullseye is often out of stock. If Unequaled works as well as Unique in light .30 WCF loads that would be pretty sweet.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I wish they would quit coming out with new and improved powders and just make a sufficient amount of the old powders so they would be on LGS shelves like they were 10+ years ago. Hard to find the old powders which worked just fine.......but then the new ones and constant short supply of the old ones keeps the prices up.........

Larry Gibson

Stock up here Larry. Looks like 4 or 5 bucks for 25 pound kegs. They claim 50 to 100 gunpowder mills in the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/1861/08/10/ne...pagewanted=all

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Stock up here Larry. Looks like 4 or 5 bucks for 25 pound kegs. They claim 50 to 100 gunpowder mills in the US.

LOLs......but even holy black has gotten in short supply and is almost impossible to get in many locals.....then the price of it also has gotten ridiculous......

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Looking forward to it. Target is a few bucks cheaper around here and Bullseye is often out of stock. If Unequaled works as well as Unique in light .30 WCF loads that would be pretty sweet.
    As promised, here it is....

Like Waco said, IMR Target is a dead ringer for Bullseye.

I did up test batches of Bullseye and Target and here's what I did.

.45 ACP with a charge weight of 3.5 grains of powder. The bullet was a Lee 200 grain semi wadcutter sized to .452 and lubed with Carnauba Red. The lead was range scrap of unknown alloy. I used virgin Remington brass primed with Remington large pistol primers. COAL was 1.235".

Powder density was identical. I set the measure on my Dillon 550 using Bullseye. Charge weights were identical using the initial setting of the charge bar.

I was unable to discern any real difference between the two. Target might have felt a hint milder on recoil and has a slight eau de 700-X.

Am I a weirdo for wishing for a 700-X inspired aftershave? I'd think any self respecting man would wish to smell like a trap range...

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Picked up a can of Target today. It was $4.00 cheaper than Bullseye and hopefully it will work well with Winchester and CCI primers, whereas Bullseye works the best with the now-extinct Federal. Gonna try it in .38 Special and .380.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Saw the Red and Green at a local shop today for $22.99 a can. Didn't have any of the other varieties. I started to get a can of Green, but the lack of handgun data stopped me. I know I could have worked up some loads with it, but I'd rather use my limited reloading budget on powders with known data. Will definitely try the Target and Unequal when I can though.
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I wish they would quit coming out with new and improved powders and just make a sufficient amount of the old powders so they would be on LGS shelves like they were 10+ years ago. Hard to find the old powders which worked just fine.......but then the new ones and constant short supply of the old ones keeps the prices up.........

Larry Gibson
    I couldn't agree more. And their entire marketing program would just have to be the words "In Stock". It would have saved them a bunch of advertising dollars.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post

According to that article we don't have a shortage at all:

"We have more than enough already to drive a bullet to the heart of every traitor that breathes in our land."
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Y'all do realize that article was dated 1861 right?
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I wish they would quit coming out with new and improved powders and just make a sufficient amount of the old powders ....
    Larry Gibson
    Some of that is related to new manufacturing processes. Can't remember where I read it, but some of the old powders produced a lot of waste - that has EPA **** all over it. and some of the new powders generate more product per unit of initial ingredients and less waste - so in effect they can make more of the new powders faster, in greater volume - in a given allotment of time - than the older tech powders. More powder with less waste is more money, and faster to market. Whether or not that is BS, is beyond me. But I do know some of the chemistry is better, control is better, and there are new compounds out there that didn't exist when say - bullseye - was a new powder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast