Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: getting my buffalo soldjahs ready ...

Banned

getting my buffalo soldjahs ready ...

... for the coming spring matches.

Boolit Master
    How do those shoot for ya? they are might long, heavy, and blunt. How fast are you spinning them? 18 twist or 16? What kind of match?

Boolit Master

that be a chunk of lead

Vendor Sponsor

That's about a 1/2 to 3/4 caliber ogive. A hunting bullet?

Looks like the German made wiping felts in the backround. Those are good. I am shooting PP again and will be using those as part of the wiping system this summer for sure.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 03-28-2017 at 09:55 PM.
    Chill Wills

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    How do those shoot for ya? they are might long, heavy, and blunt. How fast are you spinning them? 18 twist or 16? What kind of match?
    haven't baptized them yet, next week if the weather co-operates. this is a new slick, the accurate 45-530P, but built on the 44-525P mould, drops @ 524 grains using 1:20 rotometal. the slick i cast and shot last year was the accurate 45-505XR that dropped @ 491 grains, just trying out something a bit heavier and longer. 18 twist pedi roller. they're 3.45" long and no problem chambering if the hammer is pulled fully back so that the case head rim just clears it. spring matches are only 200 and 300 yards.

oh yeah, 80.2 grains of swiss 1-1/2, a milk carton wad and a pair of newsprint wads. brass was fire formed and after sliding in the ppb i gave each case neck a slight love tap with a redding neck taper die. papermill 9# onion paper.
    Last edited by rfd; 03-29-2017 at 07:23 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    That's about a 1/2 to 3/4 caliber ogive. A hunting bullet?

Looks like the German made wiping felts in the backround. Those are good. I am shooting PP again and will be using those as part of the wiping system this summer for sure.
    not enuf flat for a hunting bullet i'd like, it's just a slick, and accurate moulds will always sport a small meplat.

will be trying/testing the BACO wipers out, too ...

Vendor Sponsor

Yes - I shot/talked with a few people that are using them. So far, good reports.
    We'll see what you think too.

I think, especially for PP bullet shooting on the clock, that could be an answer.
    Many versions of these 'one trip bore wipes' have come before. They keep getting better.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 03-28-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I have a mold much like that, but it's a 500gr BACO Creedmoor. For such a short bullet it shoots very well out of my 1:16 twist .45-90 at close range. I've never tried it past 200 though as I have slipperier bullets.

Chills you are jumping back into the world of paper patching? .

I might shoot PP in the Worland midrange match but I'm not sure yet. My .45-70 has shot some nice scores in practice at 300, but then so has my Shiloh .40-65 shooting greasers. I think the PP gun has the edge at 600, but the little .40-65 has the edge on the 200 yard target and maybe the 300.

EDIT: I think the short bullet works well because it has a super long bearing surface.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

Much like the old Fischer cleaner Ned Roberts used. I have had some luck with one.

Banned

late report, was hoping to shoot more, but due to weather constraints have only had one day at the range for an hour before the rains came, ending the session.

the bore wipes work pretty good. i use plain water to wet 'em down good, shake off the excess, push into the chamber with the delrin rod, then add an arsenal patch and push it all out the muzzle. load up and fire again. it's a new process, so i did the testing off bench styx, need to practice off the cross styx next.

rain for this week again, drats.

Perma-Banned
    Some good stuff right there rfd!!!