WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Any experience with FEG AP 63, the "civilian" version of Hungarian PA 62 automatic?

Boolit Man

Any experience with FEG AP 63, the "civilian" version of Hungarian PA 62 automatic?

Gents,

I just bought, and haven't yet received, an FEG AP 63 pistol in .32 ACP. It's described as the smaller-calibered civilian version of the Hungarian PA 63 9mm Makarov semi-auto pistol.

I'm wondering what to expect in the way of handling characteristics, typical accuracy, model-specific idiosyncrasies, etc.

Anybody out there have any experience with the .32 ACP "civilian" version of the pistol, or the 9 Mak-calibered military auto-loader? If so, lemme know.

Thanks and happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

I have the 9X18, it is a fine gun, but kicks, yours should have mild recoil. They are acurate, I stopped a charging large pit bull with mine a good number of years ago.

Boolit Master
    I do. It's a good gun. However the trigger sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolff makes a hammer spring that greatly improves the trigger.

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot the best group I have ever shot with an off-the-shelf auto pistol with one. The trigger is poor, but I put 5 shots that could be covered with a postage stamp at 20 yards standing two hands offhand with a .380 version of one. I'd like to have one.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    From what I understand it is a well executed PP copy. I have seen them with FN slide markings, perhaps FN sold them at some point?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I had one in 9x18 and hated it. Barked hard against my palm and bucked noticeably. I sold it off shortly after buying it.

Yours in .32 will probably be much more manageable.

BDGR

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    Wolff makes a hammer spring that greatly improves the trigger.
    I think I have that and never installed it. Thanks for the reminder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Man

Thanks gents,

You've provided just the sort of hands-on experience I was looking for. I've never had a .32 auto, and I was hoping the AP 63 would provide a proper introduction to the caliber. From what I gather from your personal anecdotes, I'm unlikely to be disappointed.

I'm especially gratified by the accuracy "Rintinglen" noted. I doubt I'll ever equal his postage-stamp sized 20-yard offhand groups, but if I can put five rounds in an apple at that range, I'll be tickled commie-pink. With accuracy of that sort, I shouldn't have much trouble "making the skillet stink" with squirrel and bunny backs and legs.

I'm guessing the pistol will make a fine, little trail companion, and will maybe help me understand the ".32 magic" our "Outpost 75" speaks of so eloquently here.

Thanks again, and happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Boolit Master
    FWIW, the .32ACP is an accurate cartridge. High end center fire target pistols available in .32 I had a Colt 1903 for quite a while and it shot as accurately as my tuned 1911 and Python (I did upgrade the sights). It was a joy to shoot with the low recoil. The only downside was collecting brass. Small stuff and scattered. Progressive reloading may be a pain depending on the brand. Some brass would not go in the shell plates.

If I wanted another plinking gun I would get one again. I even thought about getting a larger auto in .32 for a while.

But, I ended up with my P-64 instead (another PPK style pistol). Cheap gun, accurate and cheap ammo. Yes, the 9x18 does kick a bit in a small gun, which is the only drawback to it being a good plinker.

I think you'll have a lot of fun with the .32

Boolit Grand Master
    For the record, I was 32 years younger then and had been shooting 20,000 or so rounds a year for the previous 7 years. I have only ever equaled that group twice, both times with a high-dollar heavily customized 1911. I could not do it today for love nor money.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    IME, the 32 ACP is FAR MORE accurate than either the 380 ACP or the 9mm Makarov. Walther makes one of their target pistol variants (the GSP-C) in 32 ACP, along with the usual 32 S&W Long WC and 22 LR versions.

The 9Mak is a vigorous little monster when loaded to its full potential. The late Frank Barnes in his Cartridges of the World wrote that the Makarov took blowback operation to its upper limits, and 9Maks do have stalwart recoil spring tensions. One of the 32 ACP examples that stayed with me after going through about a dozen different makes/models was the Walther PP, of which the OP's mentioned pistol is a close Hungarian copy.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Oh boy! It that's going to be your first 32 caliber gun, I'm pretty sure it won't be the last!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    .....The 9Mak is a vigorous little monster when loaded to its full potential......
    Yes it is. If you ever want to explore that potential get some Buffalo Bore loads for it If you think the factory load is stout get ready for the extra push. I use them in my carry gun.