MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? One six shooter or two five shooters?

Boolit Master

What would you do? One six shooter or two five shooters?

I was dragged into a wonderful dilemma today. A had traded for a pistol that had some YouTube gunsmithing done to it making it unsafe. The gun shop honored it and gave me back everything I had in it. So I had some "gun money" to use up.

I'm thinking about going this:
    1) blowing almost the whole was on a Kimber K6s. For those not in "the know", the K6s is a DAO 6 shooter. From Kimber, but Grant Cunningham had allot of input in it. I really respect that guy! I have shot them and know people that actually carry them and love them. No problems. Nice trigger on them too. Three dot sights that you can actually see! Decent hard runner grips. Chambered in 357 Mag as well.
    2) getting two 642/442. They are on sale. Would be my summer carry, one on the hip and one in the front cargo pocket. Would have enough to throw a LCRX on the mix IF it gets here on time. My 638 and 637 need a hammerless buddy!
    3) one slightly used SP101 for the hip and a 642 for the pocket.

I have a good idea what I'm going to do, just wondered how everyone else would choose.

I do like have a snubbie with a hammer on my hip, and can't believe I'm saying this, and the LCRX looks promising. As would the SP101.

As for shooting a snubbie, it's what I grew up on. I have no problem going around armed with a couple of 5 shot j frames. And I had shot several j Frame until the trigger were smooth.

As I look as my "gun room" I notice fewer semis and more revolvers. Guess I'm getting tired of chasing brass!

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lefty Red; 04-20-2017 at 07:18 PM.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Personally I would and actually have gone with two 5 shot j frames. I will only trust my life to the pre-lock or no-lock variants
    649-3 (pre lock) and a 340 (no lock) both in 357mag.

If I feel like carrying 6 shots I have a few serviceable snub K frames. 19-3 shown on the bottom.

The big thing I have against the Kimber is it is DAO. One of the best things about a double action revolver is the option of a beautiful single action trigger. It's also a little big and heavy for pocket carry in my opinion. The alloy framed S&Ws or even the Ruger LCR are better suited for pocket carry.

I do not much care for the SP101. The gun is as heavy and pretty much the same size as six shot models offered by S&W and Colt. To each their own.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 04-20-2017 at 08:45 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    One six shot 38 and a 5 shot of your choice, and change left over. I have seen several tight Colt Cobras recently in the 400$ relm for the pocket. Then a nice M36 for daily shootin. That Kimber ,,, well ,it's a bunch of money for a heavy ish snub. To my mind anyway, I like my 350$ Cobra and bobbed M36. Down side is there aren't a lot of smith's left to work on Colts.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Super Moderator

Nice grips! Who made those?

Boolit Master

rking22, are those great options.

2ndAmendNut, absolutely beautiful revolvers! I have to confess, I love starting threads like these because members share there wheelguns. And they don't disappoint.

SP101 and the K6s are heavy. They are belt guns for me. But they both make actually shooting 357 mags doable.

Are those stocks from Altamount?

Boolit Master
    Yes!
    I'd like to know also!

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

No question here, always two given the circumstances.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Man
    I really don't get these hypothetical dilemmas. If I truly feel I need two revolvers where I am going, I might re-assess where I am going.

One revolver is fine for me, usually a 642.

When I carry revolvers I carry two six shot.

Here is one of the pairs that get carry sometimes.

I'd take option #3 if the sp101 in question is the 4.2" bbl. Otherwise, the pair of jframes.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXSlade View Post
    I really don't get these hypothetical dilemmas. If I truly feel I need two revolvers where I am going, I might re-assess where I am going.

No "what ifs" here.

When carrying a semi, I always carry an extra magazine. Not because I think I would have to reload, but because the odds of losing the one in the weapon or something goes wrong with it or the ammo.

I don't know of any LEO or armed citizen that had to reload due to being out of ammo. But they did have to go to the back up mag due to a malfunction. It was easier to drop the original mag. It's not because of multiple attacking Ninjas, but because of Murphy and his Laws of Life.

As for carrying two snubbies, it's like the second magazine. And like everything 123 stated, it's just easier to go to another weapon instead of the primary one. We aren't talking about carrying two Glock 19s with extra magazines! And there may never be a situation where I need 16 rounds instead of the 15 rounds I have in a magazine. But there may be a need for a sixth round when I just fired my fifth and last round. Much easier to draw another snubbie than to use a "speed strip" or "speed Loader".

But I understand what you posted. It's just that I feel better if I have more than 5 shots at my ready. And not have to fumble a reload.

Lefty.

Personally I would go for the SP101 and the 642. Those are some nice options you have there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gtrpickr View Post
    Personally I would go for the SP101 and the 642. Those are some nice options you have there.
    They is a great pair! The only reason the LCRX is in the lead is because it has a hammer and this SP101 version does not. Although not a deal killer, I like my SP101s with a 3" barrel for hip carry.

Quote Originally Posted by TXSlade View Post

Im with TXSlade, why in the world would you go into a area that you thought it necessary to tote
    two belly guns. What area would you go into where you would carry a N frame 44 and a SA ,
    about 6lbs of revolvers? Get real.

Boolit Master
    Interesting conversation/question scenario, with, "What would you do?"..

I think if I were to carry a revolver( and have), and not a semiauto, I don't think it would matter 5 or 6 shot & I would only carry one. I would also tend to try to avoid situations/areas where it would be necessary to use it at all. I live & most of my life have lived rural/semi rural & just don't feel I have the need for anything more, really.

Someone who lives in a city or in the proximity of thugs may have a different viewpoint & I understand this.

If I were spending a lot of time in a situation/area where the possibility of a bad situation happening is greater, then I would likely be considering different options to carry also, like the OP & some of the others here.

I have two thoughts that come to mind...

1) Avoid any situation /area that may create a need to actually pull the weapon(s), and if you do have to deploy it, use it to get the hell away from that area/situation promptly. So, I would carry what "I" thought necessary & not even pause to think about what others think. It is my life( or my family), not theirs... Which leads to...

2) "Walk your own path", & don't worry about what others think of your choice of paths. Also, don't worry about others paths when walking your own... Since, everyone has a different set of abilities & environment to deal with on a daily basis. Those who are asking why one would carry two rather than just one may not have been exposed to the same environment as those who do feel the need to carry two. Some folks don't have a choice in where they have to travel or live, so they have to make decisions on how to safely get themselves through their own particular situation/area. Some folks may not be as comfortable with semiautos or not trust them as much as a wheelgun. It does not really matter to anyone, but the person who wants to protect themselves. If someone wants to be a martial artist(vs OC/CC firearm), does it matter to anyone else if they are versed in Kung Fu, Ju jitsu, or Aikido, etc? Or, even more than one of them? No, and it shouldn't matter to anyone else at what level of expertise someone else has either in their using a firearm or in a martial art like I mentioned as an analogy. So, as I said, I think folks should "walk their own path", & not worry what others think about it, if it is not affecting them.

Interesting topic! Good Luck with your decision, Lefty Red!

P.S. - I too, had to pause a bit, when one of the folks that posted earlier said they carried 2 , plus a boot gun. But, I don't walk that persons path & to be honest... Don't want to need to walk it either if I would have to go armed in such a manner. Be safe & I hope none of ya ever have to use one to defend yourself, or others, let alone more than one.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 04-21-2017 at 03:26 AM.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 01:30 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    123.DieselBenz,

Like I was trying to say in the post above, IMO your or anyone elses choice of what/how/etc to carry is your business, not mine,since I don't walk the same path as you do. I have been told enough about Xcntry trucking & some of the places folks have to go, from friends of mine & although I am not a trucker, I have been some places where carrying more than one could be a pretty good idea.

So ya really didn't have to explain to me, although I appreciate it... but maybe some of the others will now understand more than they did before.

Be safe & like I said, I hope ya don't ever have to use one for defense, let alone more than one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    Are those stocks from Altamount?
    No, they are made by Craig Spegel.

http://craigspegel.com

Spegel's grips are of the highest quality and the standard grade woods are not much more than Hogue or other factory available grips. The draw back is it can take a while for your name to come up on the list. Give Mr. Spegel a call, he might have what you need available, if not have your name put down on his calling list. Well worth the wait and money.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 04-21-2017 at 08:07 AM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    I'm a Ruger guy, sp101 and LCR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast