WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Improvised Primer Handling

Boolit Buddy

Improvised Primer Handling

So I was working with my lee loader last night. Still new to me so I'm still ironing out my rhythm. I went searching through the bathroom cupboard looking for tweezers to move the primers into position. Instead I wound up walking away with one of my wife's roller pins. And that worked lovely. Spring tongs basically. Rubber tipped for a bit of grip and a little bump that's almost tailor made for moving a primer.

Any other "it sounds stupid but hey it worked" discoveries out there?
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Whatever works, works. Wife and daughter get mad at me when the are no Qtips left. I got guns to clean.

Boolit Master

For years and years the catch wire of a mouse trap,the piece of wire that holds the guillotine down was my most useful reloading tool, especially for pushing primers up and out of the shoot on my first lee pro 1000 and getting ground walnut hulls out of primer pockets. Now I use a dental pick.

You fellas need a dillon, no need for any of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    You fellas need a dillon, no need for any of that stuff.

Have 2 of them and how many other presses. Sometimes a fella has to do/try something different.

Boolit Master

There is just something cool about loading with hand tools like Lyman 310 or Lee loaders.

Yes, I do have a Rockchucker.
    Yes, I do have a Dillon. 450, 550, 1050.

Sometimes a fella has to do/try something different.

Boolit Master

I am an old dinosaur and I like the old stuff. The older and heavier, the better. I started on Lee Loaders and to this day, I have never had a press that will load more accurate ammo and that includes the 5 Dillon's I have owned. Of course the only semi-auto I own is a Garand. My experience and .02, james

Boolit Grand Master

I just like things that work! I have 5 Lee Loaders along with 3 single stage, one turret and one Co-Ax and I'll occasionally get one out and "pound out" a few rounds.

The roller pins (have no idea what they are)seem to be working for you so cool! I was a Heavy Equipment Mechanic/Electrician for many years and my fingers are kinda blunt so picking up primers for my Lee Loaders and ram prime tools was, to say the least, difficult. I found that in I dumped the primers on a paper towel I could pick them up much, much easier.

Hint; I had only one LL tool that would pop primers, my 44 Magnum loader, and I found that if I chamfered the primer pocket, just like for removing primer crimps, the pops were reduced by 99%...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Sometimes it is also just about sitting down, relaxing, and focusing on a small task such as reloading. I'm not always in such a hurry to knock out 1k rounds. Sure, for my 1911's I love cranking them out. But for some hot hunting 44 mag loads? Eh, I'll do them one at a time and enjoy every second.

Boolit Master
    I use make up brush things have a nylon pad on the end to lube case necks ,cotton buds only last for a couple of cases but these things last for thousands of cases and cost pennies ,even given some to friends because they work so well.