Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Lyman handles...........

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

Lyman handles...........

I recently acquired 3 new to me Lyman moulds with handles at an excellent price . 2 singles and a 4C . The moulds were from an estate and had been well cared for , in thinking about it I'm not sure the the 4C was used at all . The handles are really stiff , I've filled them up with NOE mould lube at the pivots and the 2 singles are "serviceable" but still require more force than I'd like to have to use . The 4 cavity nutcracker handles when up to temperature even after the top ,side and bottom and several full swings require a lot of force to swing and don't move at all after release these are an honest probably 20ftlb to swing . I made about 120 pours to check out the 3 moulds and at least 25 were with the 4C . Is there something I can do to loosen the rivet like hinge bolt or is it just a wear in process ? I'm thinking these ought to run about 100,000 cycles .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

older lyman SC handles should have a collered rivet, if so, tap with hammer on one side to tighted the rivet, tap on other side to loosen rivet. If the nutcracker handles have the same rivet, you can loosen them the same way. If the tightness issue is because of rust, and you loosen the rivet with a hammer tap, then once the rust works it's way out, from use, you may need to tighten the rivets.

PS, this would be a good subject to create a pictorial post...as I had the same question when I acquired my first Lyman SC mold and handles.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

I guess it's not exactly as easy as I recall?
    here is a better answer.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l=1#post302505

posted 03-08-2008, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by floodgate View Post
    monadnock:

Look real closely at the pivot pin, and you should be able to see that on one side or the other there is a faint ring about 1/2 of the diameter of the round button where it is riveted together. Lay the handles, this side up, across the jaws of a good vise, opened just enough to clear the button, but fully supporting the handle bosses it runs through. Take a hammer and a good-sized (3/8" or larger) flat-ended punch and give a light whack on the center; try and see if thehinge has loosened up a bit; and repeat until it just works freely (you can re-rivet it a bit on the vise pad if it gets too loose). Lube it with Bull-Plate and get back to casting.

Floodgate
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Thanks that's perfect . Almost too easy .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

We used to have the same problems with Klein pliers a week after getting rained on when working. I used to soak them in penetrating oil overnight and then the next day manually pull them open to full opening and force them closed a couple hundred times and that would usually fix the rust problem.
    You'll see the rust oozing out when you soak them, it takes a little perseverance and elbow grease.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell