Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Three times is not a charm....can't get powder coat to stick

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Attachment 194959

Passed the smash test too...it took a good 15-20 hits with the first couple not even phasing the bullet. Thats some tuff WW lead.

Banned

I love the happy ending! I'm not powder coating, but this is a great thread for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Attachment 194959

Passed the smash test too...it took a good 15-20 hits with the first couple not even phasing the bullet. Thats some tuff WW lead.
    GREAT Product Tripp.
    I think that we found the MOST important part of this fun is GOOD PAINT!!

After I use up my All Powder Paints brand I will get some from Smoke--You know keep it local and all..

For ME, the final wash with GumOut Carb cleaner, and heat with a heat gun also makes the difference on a good product..Bill.
    Outdoor Sportsman For Life

Happiness is a GREAT Sprue

Orange county and a cabin in the mountains
    I'm having issues with the bullets sticking to the tin foil. I'm using non stick and on the proper side but they're still sticking. .223 on their sides. No issues with coverage. Just the stcking. Is a small flake of aluminum foil going to be an issue with transfer?

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

When I have had some sticking issues if I let everything cool it helps you may want to give that a try. I would not shoot foil down my barrel small piece here and there may add up after awhile. But my luck is called BAD LUCK.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

Try name brand (rynolds) parchment paper. I stand mine up, but that stuff is so slick that after the bullets cool on the tray I just tip the tray a little bit and they slide off. Cheap and in the same area as the tin foil.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy
    Parchment works best for me.
    I have found if using non stick foil, if I gently shake (just enough to topple them, I stand them up on bases) roll them around a few seconds to cool as I remove them from oven they do not stick to foil or each other much at all.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by natty bumpo View Post
    I'm having issues with the bullets sticking to the tin foil. I'm using non stick and on the proper side but they're still sticking. .223 on their sides. No issues with coverage. Just the stcking. Is a small flake of aluminum foil going to be an issue with transfer?
    I didn't use foil. I bought the mesh basket at walmart for $5.99 and set on on top of a flar cookie sheet covered by tin foil so ot catches the paint drips

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Smokes powder is the bomb! My first tumble and bake I had too much powder so the second batch I dropped each one in a separate empty tuperware container and bounced them a few times...wala!!!! THANKS SMOKE!!!!!

Attachment 194344Attachment 194345
    This one...

Boolit Master
    I can't believe you guys are still using consumables like parchment paper and aluminum foil when silicon baking mats do not have a sticking problem, the bullets don't slide and the mats last for years.

So what's wrong with parchment paper Rich...?...when it's too brittle to bake another batch I use it to write sweet letters to my mother-in-law!

Recycle...I'm all in!

charlie . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Parchment work great for one or two cooks, but my big problem is the bullets tend to slide around when moved. I know it's not me because I am steady as a rock and my sense of balance as good as it was back when, 50 or 60 years ago, so it must be the paper.

I use the same pie plate and no more liners. They were sticking but after a few bakes, it got better.

Needed some 40s PCd quick today so I tried TL with hf red. Bingo - worked. Put on hot plate and 10 min later- finished. Phase of the moon I guess.
    Whatever!

Attachment 196267Attachment 196268

I received my lee .452 300g mold this week. Day off yesterday so I casted, PC, and GS.The first photo is a mix of smokes blue and green with a little harbor freight red...my new favorite color. I first mixed smokes blue with red to get purple. The powder was purple but after shaking the bullets came out blue...go figure, the red wouldn't stick and stayed in my Tupperware container. Harbor freight red powder did make a little specks in the blue green mix(I just added green to the mix and tumbled). Hope they shoot! It's only costing $.04 per bullet to make them...the lead was free, GS are 1000 for $40, and a pound of paint was $20 that I swear will do a million bullets. Sure beats the 2 boxes of 50 hornady 250g ftx's I paid $36 each plus $12 shipping.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-25-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234