Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me S&W 64

New to me S&W 64

Picked up a S&W 64 from GB. It needed grips and a hammer nose. Picked up a set of Altamont grips and a couple of hammer noses from the internet. It's a DOC or LE trade in, however it appears to have been carried a lot and shot very little. Some cosmetic scratches that I plan to polish up a bit with flitz, however the bore and cylinder look very good. Loaded up a few 158 grs round nose flat point over 3.2 hrs of American Select with CCI primers. Shows some potential for accuracy. Grabbed a chunk of cardboard and stepped off 15 yards. Was able too keep all six shots on a 12x12 inch piece plywood at 50+ yards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170427_185427.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	194834

Name:	20170505_194602.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	194835

Attachment 194836
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master
    Very nice. My first revolver is also a Model 64. I didn't know anything about revolvers, but my son is a police officer in KY, and has a part time gun shop. He found it for me and assured me I would like it. Mine also is LE trade-in. For what its worth-- if you are steady enough the 4 inch barrel Model 64 will keep your shots in a 12" square at 50 yards.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I just traded one off couple months ago. I have no use for a gun of that type. Mine was a 3" job
    very good shape.Attachment 194837

Congratulations, waarp8nt, good acquisition. Can almost never go wrong with a S&W.

Great guns. I carried one off duty for about 8 years. The only reason I stopped was I opted for the smaller "J" frame 60. Both of mine were 2" and in competent hands could put all shots in the 10 ring on a "B-27" target at 15 yds.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Banned
    The S&W Model 64 is a great gun. It's basically a stainless version of the model 10 with a heavy barrel. They were work horses and will not let you down.

I've had several different Model 64's over the years. Here's my current 4" model 64:

Attachment 194865
    I need to get those grips off of it but just haven't got around to doing it. Those grips on the OP's gun are sharp, I may look into those.

When you buy a used K-frame chambered in .357 mag, like a model 13, 19, 65 or 66; you have no idea how many magnum loads were shot through the gun before it came to you. When you buy a used K-frame chambered in 38 Special, you have no such concerns.

Boolit Master

Jealous! Can't find a 3" anything around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Grand Master
    For many years, my old shop issued the S&W Model 64 revolvers--both 4" for uniform/general duty and 2" for plainclothes duty. They probably still have them in inventory, though personal-purchase sidearms of about 300 makes and variants are authorized--rollers and sliders. The S&W K-frame M&P series revolvers were and are among the best firearms ever made in this country.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Love those K-frames! Last summer I got a really sweet ex-California Dept. of Corrections 10-10. Only problem is the yawning cylinder to barrel gap of .010 which allows a lot of fouling and velocity to escape. Is a gap this large typical of the later K frames?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    ............Is a gap this large typical of the later K frames?
    Not that I've seen but they're worth fixing.
    Get someone to set the barrel back one thread, recut the breach face/forcing cone and correct any end shake if needed. You'll have a great gun after that and still will not have a lot of money in it.
    You can do the work yourself but all of the jigs and cutters will cost you more than paying someone to do it.

If you check the Midway gunsmithing videos on YouTube there is one about shimming the cylinder to remove gap and back to front movement on the Smith revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Love those K-frames! Last summer I got a really sweet ex-California Dept. of Corrections 10-10. Only problem is the yawning cylinder to barrel gap of .010 which allows a lot of fouling and velocity to escape. Is a gap this large typical of the later K frames?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Banned
    Shimming the yoke will help to eliminate end shake but it will not reduce the barrel/cylinder gap.

If the only issue is a B/C gap of .010" and the gun shoots ok, I might be inclined to leave it alone. However, if there were other problems such as end shake or a bad forcing cone it would be worth the effort and money to set it right. In the end you would have an excellent gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have been looking for one at a reasonable price for some time with no luck, I envy you your success.
    For the non-enthusiast, there is no better gun. I once watched a San Diego sheriffs Deputy put 6 out of 6 off-hand standing in the 10 ring on a B-27 target from the 50 yard line with one--a feat I could scarcely match with a tricked-out bull barrel PPC gun. And I was a pretty good shooter then.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Heavy Barrel K Frame

Nice purchase. I have the Model 65 which is really the same other than it's chambered for the 357 cartridge. They look like a plow horse, but run like a race horse. Great revolvers.

This one hasn't missed a beat since I bought it new in 1977. I'm here today courtesy of its reliability and accuracy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S&W 65 02-800-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

Mine is a California Department of Corrections trade in and a bit stubbier...

Name:	64-4(760).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	195016

My only beef with them is the silver on silver sights. Fixed mine with some flat black and Chevy engine orange.

Name:	64sights.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	195017
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I have a 4" and a 2" and both are here to stay.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Mine is a California Department of Corrections trade in and a bit stubbier...

Name:	64-4(760).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	195016

My only beef with them is the silver on silver sights. Fixed mine with some flat black and Chevy engine orange.

Name:	64sights.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	195017
    Drooling!

Put a bit of a Flitz shine on it by hand yesterday evening, surprised at how nasty the rag looked when I was done. This weekend was too busy for joys of shooting, I missed out on an offer to go squeeze off a few with a good friend of mine from here on the forum. Planning to shoot it more later this week, if the spring rains hold out.

Name:	20170505_153029.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	195029
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master

Oh yeah!

Banned
    Looks Good !

Get a couple of Safariland Comp II speedloaders and find a good load for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast