Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: cheap optic at Amazon

Banned

cheap optic at Amazon

I don't know if you guys would be interested but I saw these on Amazon. I bought two as backups for my Bushnells. I haven't received them yet but for the money I thought they would be worth a try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boolit Master

I hope you have great luck with them. My experience is that you get what you pay for, especially with optics. A lot of the ebay and possibly some Amazon listings are for Airsoft optics that are knockoffs of name brand items. I'm not saying that these are, just in general, what I have come across. What firearm do you plan on using these on? It may work well on a 22 or low recoiling firearm, but I wouldn't want to trust it on a moderate or heavy recoiling firearm or for it to hold zero from one range session to the next. I have a rule that I will spend at least $100-150 on an optic and feel much more comfortable with a $150-250 optic. I know these are red dot optics and not necessarily the same as typical riflescopes, but I think there is a parallel in quality and price.

I don't own any S&B or Nightforce, but have some mid-range - higher end Leupolds, Burris, Vortex, Bushnell, etc and for the most part a $100 and up optic usually provides good service. $75 and less optics have not lasted for me and have been relegated to the trash heap after failing/not holding consistent zero. Just my experience. I hope that your luck is better than mine.

You can buy these several times after each craps out or you can buy quality...once.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy

4 mil dot is a bit large for me on a rifle. I prefer my 1 mil dot, 2 at the most. That one will cover 4" at 100 yards.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    You can buy these several times after each craps out or you can buy quality...once.
    Every time I see a thread with 'cheap' written in the title...well, I just cringe!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I have purchased many a "cheap" optic and have either gotten lucky or something, but only twice have I had one actually fail on me. One was a Redfield 3x9x40 scope, an internal lens was doing somersaults after two weeks, the other was a Russian "armored", AKA rubber coated, scope that just would not sit still due to the rubber cover. Of course I won't put one of these cheap optics on a large bore rifle, but for most ARs and .22 these things work just fine. I do own more expensive optics, but for the most part I stick to under $200-$250 because all I really need is a repeatable reference point to place on the target.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned
    i have bought a sightmark mini shot for my ruger sbh. it was about $60 or so. i tried it for about a year, it did everything that i could ask for. now my sbh now has a warren peep sight. i'm going to take the sightmark and put it on my handi-rifle(45-70/1400fps with 405gr boolit). i'll see how that will go.

I recently purchased an airgun scope at Amazon.
    Just under 62$. This scope has seriously impressed me in the last month.

https://www.amazon.com/Hammers-3-9x3...ir+Rifle+Scope

For starters it comes with a rock solid one piece mount designed to take the double recoil of a magnum spring/vortex air rifle. Such as my Hatsan 135, shooting 14.3 gr pellets to 1000 fps and FPE in the 27-29 range. She's a beast.

Thus far scope has been rock solid, no slipping, no wandering zero, no problems.
    And it does one thing most scopes will not do. It has an adjustable front objective lenses which will let you focus from 20 feet out to infinity.

For the price I don't consider this a cheap scope. Reasonable, solid, with an excellent reputation among other airgun fans. But not cheap.

I would rather spend my money up in the 50-70$ price range where you have a little better chance at getting a quality product. But I don't have to spend 2 years saving for it either. YMMV

Boolit Master
    If an optic will handle a springer airgun, it will handle most any heavy bore rifle.... that I want to shoot anyway.

Most of the reviews seem favorable.

Boolit Mold
    I too have purchased some of these "cheap" optics off of Amazon and eBay and the like. There seems to be mixed opinions in this thread though. I guess if it's fit for your particular purpose.... To be honest, I have had no complaints whatsoever. Would they be suitable for military or law enforcement applications? Probably not. Are they fit for purpose if you're just putting a few rounds down the range? Absolutely! I have been more than happy with ones that I have experienced. My Pinty 3-9X40 Red Green Mil-Dot deserves a special mention. Absolutely faultless for what I use it for and still going strong. Just $29.99! It is worth taking a look at some of these cheaper optics for sale online and taking a punt for the sake of $25-$30. Give them a try and see what you think.

I have purchased used secondhand high end scopes on http://www.used.forsale/ in the past and had more trouble with them than I have ever had with any of my low end scopes straight off the shelf. Just my 2 cents worth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71eEjW1PbZL._SY355_.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	194434
    Last edited by Lee77; 05-02-2017 at 12:50 AM.

I bought one on ebay that looks identical for 1/2 the price. If you don't mind the wait for the boat from China. It is still working a year later, but I only use it very little and not hard. It has been drop from about 3 feet, and not as a test.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Boolit Master
    For recreational use and it works the way you want, buy three or four of them. Probably cheaper to scrap the unit than it is to change batteries.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I bought a holographic red dot sight from Amazon for about $20, and it works fine on my .22. I have heard the stories, too, but all I can say is that mine works fine. I sometimes wonder if all these optics come from the same factory in China, and the price is determined by the name that goes on it.

Thanks for the heads up.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I have a holographic from Amazon and put it on my HiPoint TS 4595 carbine about a year ago. It is still functioning just fine with about 300 rounds down range. To accessorize the cheap red dot, I purchased two 20.00 bipods. The bipods work well and don't seem too much different than my Harris.

How the Chinese can manufacture, package and ship from China for less that 20 bucks amazes me.

Like you, I'm conducting an experiment with cheap optics purchased on ebay. I have more than a few rifles and handguns, with what were, high end scopes. So, a couple weeks ago, I purchased a new 3x9 Dusk for Dawn Bushnell for $24 delivered. Having received and inspected my purchase, I'm shocked at the quality available for under $25. The fit-finish, contrast, sharpness, etc. are as good as any other scope I've looked at.

That looks good enough to be worth trying. 25$ is pretty cheap for 3x9x40. Will have one next month to play with.