RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Newbie at casting and coating

Boolit Mold

Newbie at casting and coating

Hello this is my first post. Ive been lurking cast pages for some time and decided to get into it since powdercoating came about. My problem is im not sure what to pitch and what to size and load. Im getting basket marks on the bullets and feel like they should be remelted but most have these marks. Am i being over cautious or no?

Boolit Master

Welcome aboard solider! Are you pc'ing or using hitek?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

a photo would speak a thousand words. said by the guy who can't post photos

Boolit Mold
    Ive tried to post a pic but wont work from my phone. Im using harbor freight red in a fankford tumbler for 15 min putting in a basket to strain extra powder then toss in oven for 20 min at 400

I am no expert but I started with Harbor Freight Red. First thing I can suggest is to get your paint from Smoke4320. I was amazed at the better coverage I got while using his powder and BB's. Next think is to use a pair of needle nose pliers and stand them up on a silicon backing sheet. I put mine in a #5 bowl and shake and swirl for 1 to 2 minutes. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Make sure that you verify the temp of your oven. I bought a convection oven and with it set at 375 it maintains the 400 degrees. I also put a tray in the bottom slide to deflect the direct heat from the bottom heating element.

Boolit Buddy

I went with the HiTek coating , lot less work and works great, powder coating is good too but just more tedious
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Welcome to the fun and games of casting and PC

HF is not a forgiving powder but it will work. I, too stared with it

by standing them up you only will have marks on base which is no big deal.

Even if they are on sides of bullets, stop and consider: the barrel steel will smooth them right now as soon as they start their trip to the target--try them as this is the final test that is really the only one that counts.

please be sure NOT TO USE THE KITCHEN OVEN as there is an off-gassing that will leave a thin film inside--it will build up the more you use the oven.

I use the hemostats and set each one on its base. my trays will hold 150+ bullets and while cooking one I can load the next. usually do 3 trays before I take a break or go on to something else.

keep working with it as PC is part 'art' as well as science
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

the wire marks ain't that big of a deal.
    think about how much naked lead rubs down a barrel on a regular lubed boolit.

when you size them much of that wire mark will disappear and the ones that don't probably don't touch metal anyway.

I stand my bullets up for baking so like Walter, only faint marks on the base. It doesn;t seem to affect accuracy, but I have never Ransom rested them. When I get some time I will tryu an extensive testing of PC & HT with perfect bases & not so.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Harbor freight Red will work but as said, other powders will do better. I still use HF red on occasion. One thing I have noticed, when people are talking about cook time and temp. Every powder I have used, states "x" minutes AFTER paint is melted. So if it is a 15 minute bake time, you are most likely looking at 25+ minutes. AS for what to keep...size them and test them. In a pistol round I doubt you will notice any loss in accuracy. YMMV

Boolit Buddy
    First off welcome to the forum, lots of priceless information here and lots of people who are happy to answer your questions . So long as you keep up your end by looking 1st. +1for using Powder from Smoke. Also +1 for temperature verification. I use an el cheapo dial thermometer I bought at Wal-Mart. Also do a smash test to ensure you got the PC cured properly. I sacrifice 1 of each batch just to be certain that things are still in line. You can always resmelt these, so no loss of alloy.
    I prefer to pre size ,then PC , then some of them (mostly pistol boolits) I run through a push through sizer to smooth any roughness from the bearing surfaces. Not sure it is needed,but makes me feel better. Just my .02- CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Buddy

PLUS 1 on Smokes Powder (get the sample pack at first).I only swirl a 30-35 count,but I coat,size and recoat,OCD ya-no . And two colors attract the pretty girls .
    Quote Originally Posted by daloper View Post
    I am no expert but I started with Harbor Freight Red. First thing I can suggest is to get your paint from Smoke4320. I was amazed at the better coverage I got while using his powder and BB's. Next think is to use a pair of needle nose pliers and stand them up on a silicon backing sheet. I put mine in a #5 bowl and shake and swirl for 1 to 2 minutes. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Make sure that you verify the temp of your oven. I bought a convection oven and with it set at 375 it maintains the 400 degrees. I also put a tray in the bottom slide to deflect the direct heat from the bottom heating element.
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Dalapor, gave you very good advice, I would suggest you go with it. However most powders only require 400 degrees for 10 minutes, but the extra time is not a problem.

Boolit Master
    I agree with using smokes powder, as well as his methods. It just works, period. The marks from the wire basket really aren't a problem for most pistol applications. Won't need to worry about it until you get up there in fps.