Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 Winchester

Banned

.270 Winchester

Never really thought much of the .270, seemed a weird bore size, but I picked one up a few years ago as part of a package trade and because it was the only kind of centerfire rifle ammo that never sold out at our local Wal Mart during the scare. I put a few rounds of factory ammo though it and set it aside to play with other things, but did pick up a set of old dies for it when they presented themselves cheap.

This past Winter, we cleared my folks out of their house and moved them into assisted living. Have been going through all my Dad's reloading stuff to figure it out. Dad never owned a .270 I can recall, but there sat a coffee can full of nicely cast Lyman (I think) 280412s, lubed with some kind of black lube that had hardened up over the years. I'm pretty sure these were cast by a friend of his that died about 35 years ago and Dad got some of his stuff. Anyway, I figured I'd try my hand at loading for the rifle. I lightly tumble lubed these just in case and loaded some in front of 11.5 grains of Unique and shot them this evening. Considering the cheap scope and windy conditions and twilight lighting, they grouped alright and didn't lead. The 11.5 grains was starting load in my Lyman manual, but I think I'm going to drop it down a grain or so next time and see how that does.

Not many cast .270 shooters it seems. The rifle is an old Sears 54, commercial Mauser. Any thoughts or advice? Not sure I want to get into casting for another caliber, but I'll sure use these up.

Banned
    i still have a ruger #1 in 270. i only shoot j-words thru it. it would be nice to see if anyone does a cast boolit.

Boolit Master
    I bought a lyman 150 grain mould for the 270 back when they had the huge spring clearance and have yet to use it, picked up an old RCBS .278 lube die a few months back on ebay and now all I have to do is get to it hopefully by fall.

Boolit Master
    I load the .270 with an RCBS 150 grain GC boolit, max load of 4198 according to the RCBS book for around 2,000 fps. I think I also used 4227 for some loads. Major disparity in POI between cast and 130 grain jacketed so I've loaded cast very little.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Many years ago a 150gr Lyman GC bullet over 4227 (unknown gr). Was a great practice load for a new rifle shooter in a left handed Savage 110. My first left handed rifle shortly after we move to New Mexico. I learned the rifle and how to shoot in the high desert. Wish I still had the rifle! Still have the mold.
    NRA Benefactor Member

I never warmed to it; it's too versatile. Stuck between two of my favorites, the 25&30-06, I've let all three I've owned go. That Sears 54 is a good one to have. I noticed .270 ammo on the shelf during the drought as well. Good luck with the CBs!

Boolit Master
    We have a 270 that also just sat around for years and I also picked up a rcbs 150 mold and lyman 122 gr mold but I never played with them till last year. I decided to see what happens and that was the easiest gun to shoot cast in we have. I regret I did not use it years ago.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I would be interested in what loads you all have found to work in your .270. I have been playing with one but have not found a working load yet.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Banned
    130gr nosler bt with imr4320(max load)

270's move pretty fast for cast. I picked up a bunch of stuff and there were some boolitz's. so I haven't got around to casting any yet. After all yearly round count is pretty low. I've got about 500 pc of brass with maybe 30 reloads on hand.

Boolit Master

270 Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    I would be interested in what loads you all have found to work in your .270. I have been playing with one but have not found a working load yet.
    My 270 up to now has been a jacketed bullet rifle, but I bought a 150 grain GC mould last year. I just have to break the mould in, but there are lots of projects in the queue and it has low priority right now.

Here are some loads with 130 grain bullets that I have found useful:

130 grain Winchester Power Point
    RP cases, OAL 3.325"
    Winchester LR primers
    52 grains of H 4350 powder

Av: 2875 fps Es: 41, Sd: 17

Accuracy is 1.5 MOA day in and day out

All components same as above
    54.5 grains H 4350
    Av: 2,995 fps, Es: 55, Sd: 18.5 (for 10 shots)

Accuracy is just over 1 MOA for 10 shot groups

My rifle is a Pre-War Model 70 Winchester equipped with a Weaver 330 (3X) scope in Stith mounts. I believe the rifle will shoot tighter groups with a modern scope and mounting system. The Stitch mount has slight play at the objective end of the scope. I'll leave it as is though as it is the poster child of a classic rifle from the 40s and the 50s.

After shooting this rifle, you'll understand why Jack O'Conner was so smitten with the Model 70 in 270.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winchester 70 Pre-War 270-800-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Major disparity in POI between cast and 130 grain jacketed so I've loaded cast very little.
    Poygan,

That is quite common and to be expected. I have had up to 12 MOA difference depending on the load used. A good aperture or scope sight with repeatable adjustment will solve any issues in zero between cast and jacketed bullets.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I guess I should have been more specific. I am looking for information on cast loads for 270. I have the Lee 277-135 mold and I am interested in other people's experiences with cast in the 270 at velocities under 1600fps.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Banned

I have several 6.5 molds. I wonder how paper patching one of these up might work? Never tried patching before.

I bought 2 moulds from BadBob454 and some gas checks, I will post the results I get this summer with my 270

Boolit Master

I have a couple of 270 molds and 270 reloading data if anyone is interested. I have yet to shoot my 270 Encore pistol with cast but have used both molds in my 6.8SPC.

Boolit Master

I switched to cast in my 270 about two years ago, I'm now shooting nothing but cast.

I use a wide range boolits from 108 to 150 grains.

Pm me if you wish to discuss.

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago I used a Lyman 280473 with Red Dot in my old M700 270 for practice loads. Made a good load to break my son into centerfire with as well. Since then I've picked up other rifles, and especially other cast bullet rifles and the ol 270 is now my "big" rifle, relegated to waiting on elk season.

Boolit Man
    I have loaded cast bullets for my .270, a Remington ADL, for decades. The majority of the loads were using the Lee 130 grain bullet with gas check. I have also fired a couple of hundred of the Lyman spire point (number unknown as I bought them in a coffee can at the local gun store). My normal load has been 12 grains Unique as I have been using these for practice. My load development consisted of checking my Lyman manual, selecting a mid range load and found that 12 grain was accurate.
    As for sighting disparity with my jacketed loads, I found that at 50 yards I could use the thick part of the duplex crosshairs as an aim point. Or, one complete turn of the elevation dial would put the rounds onto point of aim. So, in spring and summer I dial the scope for cast, and reverse it just before hunting season for jacketed.
    This load is accurate, and provides great practice from hunting positions such as kneeling and standing.

Boolit Master

I also reload the .270 win with the Lee 130 grain. Works great and POI is only a few inches lower. My cast bullets run 2100 fps with 26.5 grains of Reloader 7. My jacketed loads run about 2850 fps with 4064. My paper patching thus far hasn't been to successful. They don't lead, I just haven't gotten the velocity and accuracy. I haven't given up though. I haven't shot Jacketed bullets since I switched to casting 2 years ago.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast