RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 7.62x39 Questions

Boolit Buddy

7.62x39 Questions

I've been reading the stickies and past articles on loading the 7.62x39 using the Lee 312-155-2R boolit and 14-15 grains of 2400 powder. I have lots of A2400 available, and just picked up a Lee 312-155-2r mold and boxer primed brass cases from members here. What I can't seem to find any concensus on is die selection, particularly neck expansion. I'm going to throw out for input the following for comment. Note I am planning to shoot these in my Russian SKS.
    Step 1: Lyman universal decapper
    Step 2: full length resize with lanolin/alcohol lube with RCBS 7.62x39 die with the expander plug removed
    Step 3: Lyman M expanding die with the 31R plug (planning to start with .311 sized boolits and gas checks).
    Step 4: RCBS 7.62x39 seating die
    Step 5: "Lightly" applied crimp with Lee 7.62x39 factory crimp die to remove the neck expansion.

My apologies if I have missed a sticky on this, but I would like to get the dies ordered and would appreciate the feedback. Jim

Are those bullets going to be big enough? Fit is king, get it right first and the rest falls into line quickly and easily.

My Yugo SKS slugged at .312. Standard .312 185 gr gc bullets from a lee mold were too small and leaded like a !#!#^$%.

Yes I know that is a large for caliber bullet. Part of my reasoning was to slow the speed roughly a third. From 2400 ish fps down to 1600. And upped the mass to maintain energy.

You might want to read this.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...LeveRevolution

Boolit Grand Master

Lee's C312-155 sized at .312 shoot very well with no leading in my Russian SKS. It had a groove diameter of .311. I have shot other cast bullets sized .311 w/o any problems. I use GC'd (Hornady's) bullets and a good NRA 50/50 lube such as Lars White label. Mostly these days I use 2500+ though. Alloy is most often range lead (high in antimony) mixed with 50 - 70% lead and then 2% tin added. Bullets are WQ'd out of the mould.

I load them over 26 - 28 gr H4895 for best accuracy depending on case and primer size.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    What rifle are you shooting these through? My CZ 527 like a bullet sized to 311 and doesn't lead but groups go to hell with 312 sized bullets.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Banned
    [QUOTE=Larry Gibson;4158126]Lee's C312-155 sized at .312 shoot very well with no leading in my Russian SKS. It had a groove diameter of .311. I have shot other cast bullets sized .311 w/o any problems. I use GC'd (Hornady's) bullets and a good NRA 50/50 lube such as Lars White label. Mostly these days I use 2500+ though. Alloy is most often range lead (high in antimony) mixed with 50 - 70% lead and then 2% tin added. Bullets are WQ'd out of the mould.

I load them over 26 - 28 gr H4895 for best accuracy depending on case and primer size.[/Q

Larry, are you using dacron in these?

Boolit Grand Master

No, 26-27 gr H4895 will be right at 100% load density. Velocity will be 1800-1900 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

You need to find the size of your rifles bore groove diameter and throat diameter size. This can be done with a pound slug.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...o-a-pound-cast

RCBS dies are good, they have both case neck sizes. You might find that you need a custom boolit sizing die. neck expander and oversized molds. NOE as a good selection.
    A deplorable that votes!

Quote Originally Posted by acoop101 View Post
    What rifle are you shooting these through? My CZ 527 like a bullet sized to 311 and doesn't lead but groups go to hell with 312 sized bullets.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    my CZ527 also likes NOE 155 sized to .311 and not .312