Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Savage 10FP - new 20 yr old rifle

Boolit Master

Savage 10FP - new 20 yr old rifle

I bought this back in 1996 and never fired it. Heavy barrel, non accutrigger. I want to shoot it with the NOE 311322, 190 gr cast. I'll use it on stand for coyotes, and blasting jackrabbits. Any advise from other Savage/308 shooters would be appreciated .

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a 110FP from about 93, before Savage started making short actions again, wish I still had it.

Advice? Put a good scope on it, sight it in and laugh at the people that think you have to spend $1500 on a rifle to shoot bugholes with.

You might need to stiffen the forearm, especially if you shoot with a tight sling. I never shot cast with mine, but it was very very hard to miss leaves and rocks with M80 ball.

Robert

Boolit Master
    The pre acutrigger will adjust down to about 3 lbs .for end is bendy but if you don't put too much pressure on it, it won't touch the barrel my 116 308 shoots Lee boolits very well .

Boolit Master
    I bought a savage 110FP back about 1995. Long action in 308 and the stock was so soft that the front action screw was hitting the screw hole in the stock. Didn't shoot as well either. Acraglass gel was packed into the recesses under the front of the receiver ring as well as the recoil lug. The area under the front receiver ring was divided into 4 squares so literally mean it when I say I packed the gel in there. Used popsicle sticks. Let sit about a week then pulled the barreled action out and cleaned it up. Shot way better. Think I have 1100 rounds of j-words through the barrel. Rynite I believe is what the stock is/was made out of. Haven't been shooting in awhile. Hope to remedy this soon. Trigger breaks clean after playing around with it and since the safety works off the trigger have not had any problems. Frank

Super Moderator

.............I bought a Savage M10FP about 8 years ago:

The plastic factory stock was rapidly replaced with this Choate model. The scope is a Burris 30mm Euro Black Diamond 6-24.

LEFT: Three rounds @ 100 yards, Federal Gold Medal Match. RIGHT: Five 150gr PSPFB Privi-Partisan slugs, 43.0 grs Surp WC844, WLRP, R-P cases, 100 yards .651".

And just for fun, 5 Lee C309-113RF (The ubiquitous Soup Can) over 8.0 grs of Red Dot @ 50 yards Not much more expensive (if any) then 22RF these days, and about as quiet. They'll flat ANCHOR a ground squirrel!

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

And that's what Savages do. My daughter's Stevens 200 .243 has a Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole stock and the Inaccutrigger set at 3.5#.
    It shoots .75 MOA every time I break it out with 55gr Dogtowns and 95 gr Ballistic Tips.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Buckshot , I have to have that stock! I put a leupold base and rings on mine. Mounted a Simmons Whitetail Classic, 6.5-20 x50 AO. I have 2 NOE molds to work with, 311365 and 311332. Another project for sure.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    Buckshot , I have to have that stock! I put a leupold base and rings on mine. Mounted a Simmons Whitetail Classic, 6.5-20 x50 AO. I have 2 NOE molds to work with, 311365 and 311332. Another project for sure.
    ............I don't recall now what outfit I bought it from but IIRC it was about $250. Solid aluminum block bedding, sling swivels on both sides of the butt and forend, and a rail on the bottom of the forend so the bipod could be slid fore and aft.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

had one in 223 and it was a tack driver!

Banned

That stock buckshot has is the B&C Tactical Medalist

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    That stock buckshot has is the B&C Tactical Medalist
    Thanks, I'll be searching for it.

Banned

It looks like the Choate Tactical. I was using my phone when I looked at the pic the first time. But it is the Choate. I have had a bunch of the B&C stocks and they are really good. I have not had a Choate as they were always a cheap plastic stock before. But this one gets good reviews.

Super Moderator

..............Yes it is the Choate tactical. It's quite heavy, or it makes the rifle a bit heavy. I wouldn't want to have to hump it over hill and dale. But then I a long ways past my 20's s

...............Buckshot

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    I bought a savage 110FP back about 1995. Long action in 308 and the stock was so soft that the front action screw was hitting the screw hole in the stock. Didn't shoot as well either. Acraglass gel was packed into the recesses under the front of the receiver ring as well as the recoil lug. The area under the front receiver ring was divided into 4 squares so literally mean it when I say I packed the gel in there. Used popsicle sticks. Let sit about a week then pulled the barreled action out and cleaned it up. Shot way better. Think I have 1100 rounds of j-words through the barrel. Rynite I believe is what the stock is/was made out of. Haven't been shooting in awhile. Hope to remedy this soon. Trigger breaks clean after playing around with it and since the safety works off the trigger have not had any problems. Frank
    This is great advice. I've done this to a .223 & .308. The barrel may be a little rough inside but it'll smooth up with shooting. You'll end up with a 1/2 inch shooter.