RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: .357 Magnum, bbdewc?

Boolit Master

.357 Magnum, bbdewc?

Has anyone got a favorite load, using Unique with a 158 gr. DEWC, bevel base? My go-to load is/was a 150 gr. RCBS 150 gr SWC over 5.5 gr. Unique, chronoed 860 fps, 4" barrel A very pleasant and accurate load, about .38 +P level in 357 brass.

The full wadcutter I have has a crimp groove just below the bevel, and seated that much deeper than the SWC, will affect pressure, I think.

I am shooting () for about 800 fps. Should I reduce my load to 4.5-5 gr to make up for the decreased powder space? With 3.5 gr Unique under a 158 SWC, and ~10 gr. Cream of Wheat, (lead-cleaning load) the boolit exits the barrel, so no problems there, so far. I have not found any information in my reloading manuals that address my specific need. Or, should I just go with .38 Spl. data, working up, and call it good?

I shoot these in my Smith 586, which is no skinny chick at 42 ounces, which dampens recoil nicely, but may buy a lighter gun...like maybe 20-25 ozs. for SD and carry, which will be a whole different ballgame.
    Thanx

Banned

try the 5gr load.
    your getting down to the area where switching powders will give better results.
    but I'd start there and come on back up a bit at a time.
    your gonna have to get the speed back up from the lower load [and more weight]
    I'd look for accuracy and not worry about 20 fps.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think 4.5-5.0 grains will get you where you want to go velocity wise, but I can only echo the Wisdom of runfiverun and say find what load in the ballpark you're seeking shoots best, load 'em up by the bunch and enjoy.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    In my S&W 28-2 I am using 3.4 grs. of Bullseye with a DEWC that has a bevel on both ends a Lyman 358063.Never have run it over the Chrony but I would be surprised if it went 800 fps.I am using Starline 357 case and the revolver has a 4 inch barrel. It is a very accurate load with very little recoil and make the steel plates ring nicely.

Boolit Grand Master

Like TCFAN I found Bullseye to be and excellent powder with DEWCs in 357 cases just as it is in 38 SPL cases. I've also used 231 and 700X with equal results.

I used 3.2 gr Bullseye in the 357 case.

Larry Gibson