MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Wichester 1894 Legacy 38/55

Boolit Master

Wichester 1894 Legacy 38/55

Been a too long since I have been out shooting some cast boolits., so I finally loaded up the F150 and set off.

Using my Winchester 1894 Legacy rifle in 38/55. Attachment 193595

Cast load is Accurate Mold boolit from Tom, (excellent), 255 gr. GC with PC, sized .381", ACWW and gas checked (annealed)
    Starline 38/55 brass, 25gr/Imr 4198, 1703 fps @ 50 degrees. Attachment 193596

Using tang sight @ 200 yards, here is a picture of the 4 1/4 in group.(Measuring lower right hole and top left boolit hole). Boolit hole in mid target is holding bead dead center of paper plate. (Blue tape covering other old boolit holes) Adjusted elevation up 5 clicks to put group right on top of bead @ 200, holding bead in center of plate. This provided a good sight picture, as the white/ivory bead I had installed on the rifle just fit into the white paper plate at this distance.Attachment 193597

Happy with this load, time to get off the paper and then enjoy shooting at rocks, clod of dirt, etc. @ 200 yards.

Yes I could have shot another 5 or 10 groups on paper, but this load groups about 1 1/2" @ 100 yards, so I was satisfied it would keep grouping @ 200, no matter how many groups I shot. Shooting rocks and clods and grass clumps, load does well, and I'm not trying out for the WVU rifle team, I am out to enjoy the day!

The rear tang sight was 53 clicks up from the bottom most setting to put this rifle and load on zero @ 200 yards.
    Last edited by Hickok; 04-19-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Well, I would be very happy with that! Nice looking rifle and environmentally conscious green boolits as well!

Boolit Master

About time you got out with that beauty!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Do the same now and then with the Marlin CB. Had a heck of a time with accuracy until I cut back on the 4198 and went to about 22 grains. I was using a Lee mold and think the bullets too soft for the velocity. I was getting over 1600 with Winchester cases and 23.5 grains of 4198. Your mold is a gas check which would help with the heavier loads. Still good for plinking like your doing. Had a bunch of ammo to shoot up and went out and shot a bunch of stumps and other stuff, very entertaining.

DP

That is one gorgeous rifle! I have had the itch for a 38/55 for awhile now.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by three50seven View Post
    That is one gorgeous rifle! I have had the itch for a 38/55 for awhile now.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
    The 38-55 is a great round and coming from a '94 Winchester makes it even better!!! I shoot the 38-55 at the Gong Matches and it does good!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !