RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: working on a "soft" bullet 30/30 load

Boolit Master

working on a "soft" bullet 30/30 load

I have embarked on a project to get a decent grouping 100yd load with LY31141 cast soft. Purpose will be for deer hunting. Hardness is about (Lee Tester) 9.2ish. Gun is Marlin 336 CB. It shoots COWW bullets very well at 100 (1 1/2 inches or so depending on the day) at a vel. of 1875ish fps. with 21gr IMR 4198/dacron. Can't get the softer alloy 31141 to shoot as well with that load. I'm getting 4-5in groups at 100. I intend to try slowing the load down and use a slower pwdr like 3031. Should I clean the bbl well and start evaluating accuracy with a clean bbl, or should I foul it first with harder bullets then use the softer ones. My purpose for asking is I was wondering if the softer bullets would need some lube in the bbl first to shoot without leading. I want to evaluate loads in small groups, so I don't have to pull a lot of inaccurate rounds. If I shoot 5 rounds and they are accurate, I will load 5 more etc. I know if the bbl is clean, a couple shots may be necessary before the group begins to form.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Keep velocities to .32-40 levels, ~1400 fps and you will be fine. I use 16 grs. of 4064 with 175-grain plainbased bullet cast 1:30.

Attachment 193085
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Outpost...that's pretty impressive looking. What was the test media?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Have you been able to retrieve a fired bullet? Perhaps the softer lead bullet is skidding in the rifling...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I hunt with the 311041 that soft. I start with a clean barrel and clean every 7 or 8 rounds. My 30-30s will hold best accuracy (about 2 moa) for that many shots then accuracy opens to 4+ moa as the barrel fouls from the softer alloys. I push them 1950 fps from my carbine and 2150 from my rifle. Works fine for hunting. If Ive not got the game in 7-8 shots I might as well go ome and clean the barrel anyway.....

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

No, I have not recovered a bullet. I really just started this project. I'll start with a clean bbl.What pwdr you pushing them with Larry?

Boolit Grand Master

4895 in the carbine, any flavor but mostly use H4895. Was also using 4895 in the rifle but have switched to LeveRevolution powder for better performance.

Larry Gibson

I'm A Honcho!
    Outpost75,

what bullet is that?

JB

Just shot mine today @ 50, 185gr GC ~1600fps, haven't chronyd yet. Soft alloy, 15.8 gr 2400. Sized 311 for my 336 but I nose size ~ 0.1" of the nose to fit the lands. Big improvement. Group is 3x larger without the 'trick'. Seating short has always hurt my groups.
    Attachment 193107
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Outpost75, what bullet is that? JB
    Started as RCBS 30-180FN, had modified by Erik at www.hollowpointmold.com to bore out GC heel to provide .312 base band, did Cramer conversion to cup point while truncating nose to provide 0.25" meplat.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Outpost...that's pretty impressive looking. What was the test media?
    Water jugs at 50 yards.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Went to the range today. 25.5 gr IMR 3031. Had 7 rnds loaded. After the fouling shot, had 4 dead on and w/in 11/2 in and 2 fliers- 1 4 in. high and 1 4 in low. Don't think the fliers were me. This is better that the 21gr 4198 since I got 4 dead on but the 2 fliers out of 7 total is troublesome. The fliers were not in the first part of shooting, they were #3 and #6. Guess I will go up a grain or so, if that doesn't work, will go down a grain or so . Or go get some LeveRevolution or 4895. These are slower than 3031?

Banned

4895 is the next step slower than 3031.
    I'd look at a larger diameter boolit and double check that the nose in engraving the rifling.
    311 would maybe be a bit on the small side for this.
    if you have some 4831 try 34.5grs of that, it should just about fill the case and give you around 1800 fps with a soft gentle push. [you can move towards 36 with no problem]

Boolit Master

Been sizing this boolit .310 for years for this gun and it does well with COWW. Not sure it drops large enough to size larger. I think I have some 4831left over from 25/06 and jackets may give that a try too. I got my microgroove 35 Rem to shoot soft boolits very well at about 1750 fps a couple years ago with 3031 after failing with 4198. Thought it might work in the 30/30 too.

Banned

The mold I made drops a 187 gr boolit, size to .311" and it has done less then an inch but not all the time. The Marlins are not easy to bench. I just shot some over the chrono and got 1952 fps with 28 gr of 3031.
    Tried IMR 4895, 25 gr and it shot well but dropped to 1609 fps.
    The gun shot very good with Varget and I need to test that more. Varget shoots so well in other calibers, even the 7R and 7BR pistols and is top rate in the 6.5 Swede. It is the most versatile powder I ever used, you would not expect it to burn so clean in 10" barrels, Hodgdon laughed at me when I asked for loads, said it would not work but it does. 2175 fps in the 7BR. 1/2" at 50. I need to put the MOA against a deer.
    I make one mistake with the 30-30, all my brass was salvaged and I mix brands, Rem, Fed and WW so I need to sort it. I was weighing cases to sort but they get mixed.
    Another thing I found was boolit run out, necks are not even so I neck turned just enough and accuracy improved a great deal. Can't measure on a cast so I just measure the neck. But before I cut I could roll a round on the bench and it wobbled like crazy. Got the tool out and the dial indicator went nuts.
    Roll a round on your bench and see.
    I also found cases stretch a lot in the lever gun, need to trim often.

It's the MG that gives you trouble with the soft alloy (~1% Sb?). After the group I posted above, shot 20 rnds of 175 PB, same alloy, same boolit design (no L.G.s), same load. Shotgun pattern. The 175 @ the same fps from a normal groove BO did fine, no leading. This alloy does well in 40SW also. You do fine, then slight leading & poof, flier. Leading gets wiped out by a shot and your good till the next time. The GC does scrape out some of the leading so most of your shots are good. H4895 and LeverE can be downloaded (youth loads) to get your fps down to 1600 -1800. 2400 or Rx7 is probably more economical.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

The 336CB isn't microgroove, my 35 rem is. Got IT to shoot the soft alloy with 3031. Sorry for the confusion. Going to try 27gr H335 this pm.

Boolit Master

Bingo! Even a blind hog finds an acorn sometimes. The above load with 6rnds loaded, started with a clean bbl, gave a fouling shot that was about 2" out of group, the next 5 were within 1 1/4 inches or 1 in depending on the holes I measured. This was at 100 yds. Don't know the vel., but according to Lymans 4th ed. 22gr gives 1600fps and 30 gr gives 2250fps.... think I'm good. Hope this is repeatable. Thanks for the help "y'all"!

I'm A Honcho!
    Outpost,

Since you went through all the trial and error on that bullet...see if you can get someone to do a group buy on it or something similar.

Group buy isn't neccessary. Tom Ellis at Accurate can make it now and get it to you in three weeks.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast