WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Finally got round to building a barrel vise

Boolit Buddy

Finally got round to building a barrel vise

I don't usually do much barrel removal with the old military junkers that I tinker with but a nasty job came my way that gave me a good excuse to build a barrel vise. I still need to make a good action wrench but the quickie tool in the photo worked for this job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barrel vise.jpg  

Nice set-up. A little more explanation please. Are those oak blocks? How do you size the hole & how much space between the blocks do you allow for compression? Is your action wrench by clamp friction only? I have never removed a barrel before & I'm interested in this. I hear that sometimes this can be a real "bear", especially on some military rifles.

TIA...

Boolit Buddy
    Certainly looks like it'll do the job. Kudos!
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    Nice set-up. A little more explanation please. Are those oak blocks? How do you size the hole & how much space between the blocks do you allow for compression? Is your action wrench by clamp friction only? I have never removed a barrel before & I'm interested in this. I hear that sometimes this can be a real "bear", especially on some military rifles.

TIA...
    Oak would be best but I didn't have any. I just used a piece of spruce 2x4, drilled it to the small diameter on the taper, cut about a 3/16" strip out of the middle and clamped it down tight. The action wrench is held tight to the flat on the bottom of the receiver buy means of two 3/8" bolts with a "V" block supporting the top of the receiver.

This gun was a real bubba screw-up. Some fool had taken the barrel off and painted both the barrel and the receiver with dura-coat, threads and all. He then tried to put it back together without cleaning the threads. When it seized up he was left with 3/16" headspace. He then sold it.
    The poor kid who bought it brings it to me and tells me it won't shoot. Thank goodness it didn't,,,, there was paint in the chamber.

Boolit Master
    Just think: That "bubba" is out there somewhere buying a Dremel right about now!

Three44s

Boolit Master

Neat i used an old lathe dog for my action wrench, less parts to aligin and torqure down.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    I have built action wrenches and barrel vises.I still use my barrel vise but have retired the action wrenches for the action wrench sold by Brownells.They have different heads available for different actions and they work extremely well.A proper fitting wrench is essential to avoid damaging the receiver.I have seen a pre 64 M70 and a Sako destroyed by "gunsmith" who liked to use a large Crescent wrench as a action wrench.

I have used double split set collars with a handle welded on a number of times for jobs like that.

i even have some that have tapers I machined into the ID.