Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hornady no more...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by km101 View Post
    I have a 550 and an LnL. I have hand primed everything that I have loaded on the LnL since the primer setup has not worked reliably since it was new. Other than that it works well enough. It has to be re-timed when something jams but that's not too often.

With the 550 I just have to keep adding components. No hand priming necessary, no jamming, just loading ammo.

One day I may get ambitious and upgrade to the 650, but right now I have more time than money, so I will keep crankin' em out with what I have. Presently I would rather spend the money on guns and components.
    Have you really tried to get the priming system to work or contacted Hornady about it? Mine has worked 100%. The large primer tube has just recently started to not sit in the housing tight. Contacted Hornady and they are replacing all the parts for free.

Boolit Buddy

I haven't used my LNL an extensive amount yet but "76highboy reloading" on youtube has made a bunch of extremely well thought out videos on how to set them up for smooth functioning. Before I even set up the press I took an hour or two and watched all his videos and then watched them again while setting it up and so far everything has worked great. This is my first progressive press and I got it used in poor condition so the videos really worked for me. The guy is one of those people who has a knack for teaching and the videos are very well done with good lighting, clear shots of details etc.

You mentioned having trouble with the priming system and he covers that in great detail in part 2. Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6BfPn5QaiA It sounds like you may possibly have a bent cam wire if it is coming out of the plastic top retainer every other cycling. When I got my lnl (used) the cam wire was bent and I would have thought the system was worthless if I had not rebent it. In retrospect that is probably why the previous owner got rid of it. The exact positioning of the cam wire top retainer (set once and don't change) is absolutely critical to primers feeding correctly, so if your top retainer is moving you'll have frustrating problems I think. The video shows exactly how to set the cam wire position around the 17 minute mark and I would really recommend watching that.

You can view a photo of what the cam wire should look like here: https://media.midwayusa.com/producti...662/662855.jpg
    If it has any different bends than that, that's most likely the source of your problem.

I see there are upgraded cam wire top retention brackets on ebay but I haven't used them myself, they are only a few bucks so that's another thing you could try as well.

Best of luck, I'm sure you can get that thing running right after watching the videos and then you'll have another useful press on hand.