Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hornady no more...

Boolit Master

I feel for you. I would have gotten rid of the LNL's if I had that much problem. But I have loaded 48,595 and not had any more problems than I did with my 550 (59,832) It's just like the Navy your's may have been great, but mine could not find their butt with both hands.

Banned

hard to take the big cut in what you pay for them selling them used and on a fixed income now so its tough coming up with the extra to UPGRADE TO A DILLON.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    hard to take the big cut in what you pay for them selling them used and on a fixed income now so its tough coming up with the extra to UPGRADE TO A DILLON.

I know exactly how it feels to take a big cut on something when I got rid of it because it didn't do what I thought it would. But in the end it was because I didn't make the right choice. Nobody's fault but mine.
    But if one of whatever isn't doing what I think it should then buying two well whats that saying "fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me"

Bought a 650 a lot of years ago on a friends recommendation. Used it for years, only complaint was changing from small to large primers. ( just tedious, not hard) So another press was in order, so I got another 650. Yea, it's a real witch on the wallet, but it just works. and customer service is great. My old Battery Commander was learning on the 650 set up for .45 ACP and looked like a monkey and a football. Ended up breaking the advancement ring under the shell plate ( WTH). Five minute call and part was in the mail. Yes, you can make a LNL work, but why hassle with it, lifes to short

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smk SHoe View Post
    Bought a 650 a lot of years ago on a friends recommendation. Used it for years, only complaint was changing from small to large primers. ( just tedious, not hard) So another press was in order, so I got another 650. Yea, it's a real witch on the wallet, but it just works. and customer service is great. My old Battery Commander was learning on the 650 set up for .45 ACP and looked like a monkey and a football. Ended up breaking the advancement ring under the shell plate ( WTH). Five minute call and part was in the mail. Yes, you can make a LNL work, but why hassle with it, lifes to short

the first Dillion's took some love and care too. And believe me it's not a hassle for some of us.

Banned

anyone want to trade?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Smk SHoe View Post
    I'm curious if you have owned a lnl personally?

Banned

that's the problem with all of this ****. You for the most part get guys that have only used a Dillon or lnl not both and its a natural instinct to want to defend what you bought. Nobody wants to think they weren't intelligent enough to buy the better of the two. Then you get guys that just cant afford the best and rather then admit that find it easier to bash the better brand to justify what they bought. Ive used both. Ive used both ALOT. Bottom line is the dillion is more expensive and is a better engineered press. Neither are perfect. both have weaknesses but truth be told if you want to load the most ammo with the least amount of tweeking and tinkering and can afford the difference in price your better off going blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by coatessey View Post

Never had one mounted to MY bench, but I have used them. Everyone Likes what they like. I'm not saying LNL is a piece of junk, I'm saying I like blue and I don't think tinkering with a LNL is worth the time. It's a lot like a 1911, Until you have shot a piece of perfection, you don't know what perfection is. Then once you have shot a 1911, all other handguns get compared to it. ( yes, I'm a little Bias on 1911's and blue) I like what I like

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    that's the problem with all of this ****. You for the most part get guys that have only used a Dillon or lnl not both and its a natural instinct to want to defend what you bought. Nobody wants to think they weren't intelligent enough to buy the better of the two. Then you get guys that just cant afford the best and rather then admit that find it easier to bash the better brand to justify what they bought. Ive used both. Ive used both ALOT. Bottom line is the dillion is more expensive and is a better engineered press. Neither are perfect. both have weaknesses but truth be told if you want to load the most ammo with the least amount of tweeking and tinkering and can afford the difference in price your better off going blue.
    I have both, I use both. Blue is better, but much more expensive.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Banned

that there is the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I have both, I use both. Blue is better, but much more expensive.

Boolit Mold
    Precisely why I offered my experience with only the LNL as I do not have a Dillon yet.

I just got into reloading not too long ago and have read a lot about both, many by people whom haven't owned or used both.

The lnl was definitely more affordable plus a couple of coworkers have had one for years without any issue. I figured even if I didn't like reloading it would be easier to eat the lnl than the dillon. These are the only reasons that I went lnl. Well that the free bullets and the free hornady stool.

I love reloading almost as much as shooting and no doubt will have a Dillon in the future.

Boolit Master

Precisely why I offered my experience with only the LNL as I do not have a Dillon yet.

I just got into reloading not too long ago and have read a lot about both, many by people whom haven't owned or used both.

The lnl was definitely more affordable plus a couple of coworkers have had one for years without any issue. I figured even if I didn't like reloading it would be easier to eat the lnl than the dillon. These are the only reasons that I went lnl. Well that the free bullets and the free hornady stool.

I love reloading almost as much as shooting and no doubt will have a Dillon in the future.

I love handloading more than shooting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I love handloading more than shooting.
    Gotta admit there's a real attraction to loading a bunch of cartridges that shoot sub MOA in your gun!!! Ya gotta shoot a LOT to figure out what combination of primer/bullet/powder produces that sub MOA round though. I love shooting BECAUSE I can reload an "as perfect as I can get it" round. A 3 MOA rifle is just no fun to shoot to me. The ability to load "specialty" rounds is a big draw too.

Boolit Master
    I have both, an I like both brands.I started with a Lee Pro 1000 used it for a long time. If you can keep that thing running fine you can keep either Dillion or Hornaday running fine. Its not rock science . It just takes time to learn how to make anything run smoothly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    I have both, an I like both brands.I started with a Lee Pro 1000 used it for a long time. If you can keep that thing running fine you can keep either Dillion or Hornaday running fine. Its not rock science . It just takes time to learn how to make anything run smoothly.
    That works for me

We can co pare the LnL to the 650 all day long but the reality is that the 650 is about 2x the cost of the LnL so the fact that we can even compare them is a statement about the LnL.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    We can co pare the LnL to the 650 all day long but the reality is that the 650 is about 2x the cost of the LnL so the fact that we can even compare them is a statement about the LnL.
    Dillon 650 is $579, case feeder is $265 for a total cost of $844

LnL AP is $475, case feeder is $334 for a total cost of $809

Not sure where ya went to school but in no way does the 650 cost twice what a LnL costs.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    Dillon 650 is $579, case feeder is $265 for a total cost of $844

LnL AP is $475, case feeder is $334 for a total cost of $809

Not sure where ya went to school but in no way does the 650 cost twice what a LnL costs.
    Seams to me that the 650 is just a little bit more $ and not a lot.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master

I have a 550 and an LnL. I have hand primed everything that I have loaded on the LnL since the primer setup has not worked reliably since it was new. Other than that it works well enough. It has to be re-timed when something jams but that's not too often.

With the 550 I just have to keep adding components. No hand priming necessary, no jamming, just loading ammo.

One day I may get ambitious and upgrade to the 650, but right now I have more time than money, so I will keep crankin' em out with what I have. Presently I would rather spend the money on guns and components.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast