Lee PrecisionPBcastcoRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hornady no more...

Boolit Master

Hornady no more...

I've had my Hornady LnL AP for about a decade. There was a lot of down time in that decade so the press has seen about 5k rounds. I set up my Dillon 650 this year. The Dillon is pretty much dedicated to .45 ACP right now. I reload everything else on the Hornady.

With the Dillon I can put cases in the feed tube and start pulling the handle. As long as I keep everything filled and put boolits on the brass it just keeps kicking out round after round.

I realized yesterday, when it took over 2 hours to load 90 rounds of 9mm, that I spend way too much time fiddling with the Hornady. The priming system has given me fits since day one. I've polished, deburred and dry lubed everything. The cam wire is upgraded to the latest and greatest.

On Monday the pin holding the wheel came out of my large primer shuttle. Yesterday the same pin came out of the small primer shuttle. The black plastic piece that holds the shuttle wire has a slight upwards bend to it which causes the cam wire to come out of the socket about every other cycle. I managed to fix that with a heat gun. Lately every time I change a shell plate I have to retime the press.

I had plans to one day pick up a second LnL and have one set up for small primers and the other for large. That's not going to happen. I'll get another 650 and have the small and large primer set up. It's going to cost a bit more to switch everything over to Dillon but it's going to be worth it. Dillon just works.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    Take another big drink of the blue koolaid and know all is well. 😀

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have not been happy with my Hornady LNL since the day I bolted it to my bench.
    Doesn't want to maintain cartridge OAL (45ACP)despite constant adjustments.

after my recent health issues, I noticed that it has rusted badly, despite being in a climate-controlled reloading room.
    My RCBS equipment, including a very well used RockChucker has never rusted in over 25 years.

I am seriously considering loading this LNL in a box and sending it back to Hornady and switching to Dillon equipment for a progressive press.

Boolit Master

Everyone is different. Run two LNL's they work fine (I think 55,000 rounds). Owned 550 and sdb they worked to. Blue or red it's all good

I have two Dillons and now want a 650 but would have to dedicate it to one caliber until I can buy more shell plates etc.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post

I have two Dillons and now want a 650 but would have to dedicate it to one caliber until I can buy more shell plates etc.

That's what got me into the LNL. I only do 357, 45 and 38 but 14 different bullets. That's a lot of tool heads.

I don't think I have ever met someone that traded a 650 for a LNL.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

And probably never will. But I lived in California it was nice but Florida is better for me. Same with Dillon it's nice but Hornady is better for me.

Boolit Master

IMHO the weak point of the Hornady is the priming system. If they could make that work it would be a great press. There's been ONE time I've been able to run 100 cases through the system and have the the primer system work 100%.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like the lnl is on par with the old RCBS "green machine" when it comes to the priming system!!

Boolit Master
    My LNL fed both large and small primers like a champ! After a few rounds, the little nub that kicked the shells out wore and every other one would ride up on top and lock the press up. I really didn't like the bushing system... I gave it away to a service member who I hope is enjoying it......I'm saving nickles now for a 650....

I have two LNL AP's. One works great, the other has timing issues that I haven't worked out yet. That causes a lot of case feeder and loaded round ejection issues, and quite a bit of swearing.

I prime all my rifle by hand just because I prefer it, no issues with small pistol priming on the AP's. Haven't tried any large primer pistol or rifle though.

I have two L&L presses, bought one new and liked it well enough that I bought a 2nd one used. I have one set up for 40 cal and one set up for 223. From time to time I had ran both the Dillion 650 and 1050 for a commercial caster who sold ammo from his home based business and at gunshows. I think they are all good loaders when properly set up. I liked the L&L system over the tool heads...so my choice was simple. I have yet to have any real issues with my L&L.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master

Like all tools they have their own quirks. When I upgraded from Lee 1000's I went with the LnL AP and quickly learned that the priming system is quirky. It works perfectly as long as it gets no dirt in it.

About the same time I upgraded to cleaning brass using the STM kit. I still use the 1000's but only to size and deprime before cleaning the brass. With clean brass priming failures are rare on the LnL AP.

Since then I have acquired 3 more AP's as well as 2 ProJectors and a Pro 7. I have also outfitted 2 of the AP's with case collators along with bullet collator and feeders for pistol. Yes, I like Hornady products but I'm not saying they are the best in the market, I'll leave that argument to others.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Even with my busted mechanic hands I can easily load 100 rounds of 9 mm in 30 or 40 minutes on my LNL with no case or Bullets feeders. 44 magnum is a bit faster due to larger bullets.

Boolit Master
    At the gun range, I can comfortably shoot 100 9mm rounds in about 10 minutes. Seems like a losing proposition doesn't it?

Wished we could reload as fast as we unload. I'll keep reloading though...

I have a 550B and it always works as long as I set it up right. Switching calibers can sometimes take a bit of time, but that is because I do not have all the parts needed to do a switch without readjusting. If I bought extra powder dispensers, I could simplify the process, but so far it isn't worth the extra cost to me just yet. I have gone to using the Lee Autodisk on the dillon for most "bulk" pistol reloading with 9, 40, 45 etc. It simplifies the powder measure, use the same disk, get the same every time without having to adjust. Still use the Dillon for rifle calibers and bigger powder drop loads.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master

I have the Hornady LNL, a Dillon 550 and a Dillon 650. I agree that the priming system on the LNL needs attention sometimes but it still cranks out ammo at a respectable pace. On the upside the Hornady case activated powder system is the absolute best I've used on a progressive press. Repeatability is superb and I have never had a problem with powder bridging. Dillon powder systems are OK but I have had some issues with some powders (mostly stick powders). I guess ya just have to get used to each machine's quirks and keep an eye on things. They are all a far sight better than loading practice ammo on a single stage press (although precision rifle ammo still gets loaded on the Rockchucker).

Don't give up on your LNL just yet. When you find the "sweet spot" I think you'll like it just fine!

Boolit Master
    I tuned my LNL using the Highboy videos right from new. I never sanded, polished or anything else and the priming system has never given me an issue with small or large primers except one time I didn't have the primer tube pushed into the primer housing body all the way.
    If I try cranking the handle as fast as I can then it all goes for ****. But I have found a very good pace that works for me and no issues so far.
    One thing I have noticed watching some of the you tube videos is some have their presses mounted on benches that seem to flex. Mine is on a solid 3 inch thick hard wood top 44" by 30" on a metal bench on wheels. the LNL is mounted on the end pointing in and a Rockchucker on the other end. The body of the press is up tight against it and bolted. If there is any flexing I sure can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    I tuned my LNL using the Highboy videos right from new. I never sanded, polished or anything else and the priming system has never given me an issue with small or large primers except one time I didn't have the primer tube pushed into the primer housing body all the way.
    If I try cranking the handle as fast as I can then it all goes for ****. But I have found a very good pace that works for me and no issues so far.
    One thing I have noticed watching some of the you tube videos is some have their presses mounted on benches that seem to flex. Mine is on a solid 3 inch thick hard wood top 44" by 30" on a metal bench on wheels. the LNL is mounted on the end pointing in and a Rockchucker on the other end. The body of the press is up tight against it and bolted. If there is any flexing I sure can't see it.
    That's probably what I need to do with the one that is giving me trouble. I've also noticed that finding a good pace greatly reduces the problems. Listening to my iPod with ear phones in seems to work especially well. And you're right, a very solid bench/mount makes all the difference. I picked up one of the solid wood top work benches from Sam's Club. Nothing flexes.

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I don't think I have ever met someone that traded a 650 for a LNL.
    No one has

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast