Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Smokeless Loads for Uberti 1876 45-75:

Smokeless Loads for Uberti 1876 45-75:

It's been over two months since I ordered an 1876 Uberti Centennial Rifle in 45-75. I've put together a collection of moulds and cast some wonderful boolits for the rifle while awaiting it's arrival. My mould collection:
    Lyman LA FN 457643 400 gr.
    Lyman FN HP 457122 330 gr.
    SAECO/Redding GC FN 61017 350 gr.
    These Uberti rifles are rated for smokeless powder, unlike the original 1876 Winchesters. I'm experienced with loading black powder and perhaps that would make my headache go away trying to assemble safe, reasonable smokeless loads when published data is scarce at best. I've requested load data from a couple of major powder manufacturers. One manufacturer basically said: Obsolete cartridge, no SAMMI specifications, weak action, catastrophic failure waiting to happen. In my request I did mention published smokeless loads were contained in the Lyman #49 Handbook. His reply was "I don't know why they did that". On the other hand when I contacted another major powder manufacturer they provided me with usable data with two of their powders with four bullet weights and psi data. It's frustrating. Okay, I get that it's likely just a niche market and only what, say perhaps seven or eight thousand have been manufactured.
    There are some other resources available, Mike Venturino's book "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West" and the Cas City 1876 Forum, but really the thought of cartridge load development based upon extrapolation from other cartridges and burn rate charts has always been discouraged. Though I did mention the plethora of smokeless loads available for the Springfield Trapdoor when I replied to the manufacturer that tried to scare the **** out of me, the "fireing pin through the skull" guy. They have yet to respond.
    I suppose when purchasing a historic classic reproduction this sort of frustration goes with the territory, unless I load with real Black Powder and my headache would simply disappear.

Boolit Master
    I would start with trapdoor 45-70 data and reduce by 10%.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy
    350 cast, 28.0 grs AA 5744... 1400 fps in my 1876, 28 inch barrel

Boolit Buddy
    you mentioned Venturino's book but have you read his one..."lever guns of the old west?" tons of info there
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Buddy
    The Lyman manual one edition back (#49 i think) has a nice section on loading for the 76. It covers all three calibers.