Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1895 Marlin Rifle

1895 Marlin Rifle

I really need some advice, please. I have several guns that I can no longer shoot because of recoil, one being an 1895 Marlin rifle. This is the one with pistol grip, checkered stock and half magazine. It is a "JM" marked rifle and has ghost ring aperture sights and I would say this rifle is probably 95-98%. It has been shot less than 100 times since new.
    My question is what is a fair price for such a piece? I cannot post pictures on this web site but will email them should anyone like.
    Thanks for any and all help.

Moderator Emeritus

Not sure of the price, but many reach a stage where the old .45/70 kicks more than we like. I know I used to shoot hotter loads than I can enjoy now! But have you tried any loads with 300 gr. cast and loaded to original BP levels? If not, you may want to hang onto that very neat rifle. Mine's a Guide Gun, and a tad lighter with its shorter barrel and straight stock, but I'll NEVER get rid of mine. And those 300 grainers will kill just about anything you point it at, too, including some pretty heafty stuff. You won't have quite the effective range of the hotter loads, but it'll do the job, and the older I get, the more willing and glad I am to let an animal pass unmolested, because that's when the hard work starts, and I'm just not able to "appreciate" that last part like I once did. I figure that's what I have a son and grandkids for! I still supervise as good as ever, though. Before selling, try some 300 grain bullets and a bit milder and see if they don't help a lot ..... and WORK!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Not sure of the price, but many reach a stage where the old .45/70 kicks more than we like. I know I used to shoot hotter loads than I can enjoy now! But have you tried any loads with 300 gr. cast and loaded to original BP levels? If not, you may want to hang onto that very neat rifle. Mine's a Guide Gun, and a tad lighter with its shorter barrel and straight stock, but I'll NEVER get rid of mine. And those 300 grainers will kill just about anything you point it at, too, including some pretty heafty stuff. You won't have quite the effective range of the hotter loads, but it'll do the job, and the older I get, the more willing and glad I am to let an animal pass unmolested, because that's when the hard work starts, and I'm just not able to "appreciate" that last part like I once did. I figure that's what I have a son and grandkids for! I still supervise as good as ever, though. Before selling, try some 300 grain bullets and a bit milder and see if they don't help a lot ..... and WORK!
    I do the same with boolit weights and shoot reduced loads using unique and 2400. and I have never used a heavy load and have killed several deer with BHN never exceeding 12 /1400fps and that is with a shoulder that needs rotor cuff surgery 2yrs ago . In short I"d keep the gun

Boolit Master
    +1 on using Unique or 2400 for light kicking loads in the Marlin. But if you're still going to sell it I'd advise finding a way to sell it in Ohio, hunters from there came to PA and WV after Ohio began allowing rifle hunting with straight wall cartridges a couple years ago and purchased every .45/70 and .444 around at a premium.
    Seriously a genuine JM Marlin in good condition is probably worth as much as you paid for it or even a bit more to someone who knows what to look for since Marlin went Ilion NY.

I got a 1895 Guide Gun from Walmart a few months ago that was priced at $578.00. I got it on clearance for 1/2 that, but the original price should get you in the park.

Boolit Grand Master

Get a collar button mold, some 4227 and enjoy some low cost plinking.

Trapper.... you didnt mention if you reloaded or not. If you do, keep that rifle. I downloaded some 325 gr lead base, and it kicks no more then a 20 or 12 gauge. I decided on the 325 because the primary use was for Ohio whitetails. Dont need any heavier. And it will drop anything I care to shoot at in Ohio. As for increased bullet drop in reduced loads, I dont notice it much, as i never shoot more then 150 yards anyway.

As for trying to sell it in Ohio, I can state the availability of 45-70's is much improved. You can get them at pretty much any gun store now, in many configurations.....In lever guns and single shots such as the CVA Hunter. And soon the Henry single shot line. My Local store had a reproduction falling block (cant remember what make) but it was pretty pricey.... more then I paid for my Henry!

Boolit Master
    I shoot a 405 gr boolit loaded with TrailBoss kicks like a 30-30 and kills the deer DOA.

Boolit Master
    Trapper - another vote for the collar button, and any reduced load.

I paperpatch 200 gr 45 ACP swc's over a lite load of Unique, almost no recoil, and deadly on groundhogs out to 50 yards.

But if you must, a JM marlin 1895 Cowboy should get you $800 +.

Go to MarlinOwners.com for the latest. Once you meet their criteria, you can sell it there.

Banned
    Keep it & shoot it with light loads.

If not, sell it to ME.

Shoot some 300-350 gr bullets with Trapdoor loads. Not the max, somewhere in the middle and its like shooting a 22. Fine for paper to deer.

As far as value about 6-700 would be my guess for asking price. I bought one about 5 years ago for 450 with very nice figured wood in the buttstock. Just need to find a buyer.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Grand Master

Price will also be influenced on which sub model

Yes but JM pistol grip could be a SS or other still a $600 to start.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Last year someone on gunbroker got over nine hundred bucks for a first year of production 1895 . I have one also that I've offered to a few guys and they seem to want to go buy the new cowboy guns at retail instead . lots of lookers and droolers but no cash

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    What ever you ask for it you'll likely find some other willing to pay.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I really need some advice, please. I have several guns that I can no longer shoot because of recoil, one being an 1895 Marlin rifle. This is the one with pistol grip, checkered stock and half magazine. It is a "JM" marked rifle and has ghost ring aperture sights and I would say this rifle is probably 95-98%. It has been shot less than 100 times since new.
    My question is what is a fair price for such a piece? I cannot post pictures on this web site but will email them should anyone like.
    Thanks for any and all help.
    I'm going to guess this is a late model standard 1895 with the cross bolt safety. They turn up fairly often around here for $400-500.00 in like new condition, I would guess the cost of factory ammo keeps most of them from being fired very much. The JM stamp doesn't add much value unless it's a Cowboy model or 1894. I love peep sights but the only way you will get any extra for them is to sell them separately on the classifieds here or Fleabay.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I just tried 13 gr. UNIQUE with 405 plain base. Very mild and I suspect it wont slow down in deer meat. 1895g

1895 JM stamp is worth more than a Remlin (see Marlin forum). I use a 350gr NOE bullet with 5744 at trapdoor pressures and love to shoot it with a bad shoulder and elbow. Keep it!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    I just tried 13 gr. UNIQUE with 405 plain base. Very mild and I suspect it wont slow down in deer meat. 1895g
    My favorite load under a very old 456192. Your correct, deer meat is no match for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast