RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Lyman Mag 20 Leaking, but not where or how it should.

Lyman Mag 20 Leaking, but not where or how it should.

The pot is leaking externally around the outside nozzle, not dripping where bottom pours normally drip.

The back story is I picked it up used from the location below, so it is not a situation where it was sold to me knowingly broken by the seller.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eloading-Items

My questions; Does this happen possibly where the pour spout mounts to pot? Lose nut a possible cause? Could the pot be broken or cracked? Anyone rebuild a Lyman?
    Would parts be available?

I'm fairly skilled with repairing mechanical things, not at all worried about having the skills to repair it, just curious the possible cause...plus need it to cool down before I attempt to take it apart. Pictures to follow.

Attachment 193564
    Last edited by waarp8nt; 04-18-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Pictures
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Not much advise, so i decided to take it apart. Once apart it is clear the melter has been under water. A fine example of buyer beware...the pot has a hole in it ~ see picture

Attachment 193624

I'm suprised there wasn't any more lead located inside the melter. Considering the hole, it must have just poured out around the spout.

Attachment 193625

Not sure if it is a fusable link, but one wire is broken and the switch looks terrible, it works...just not sure how with all the damage.

Attachment 193626

Dude, that ducks! I have had good luck ordering parts from Lyman, others have not. I'm not sure if they offer the pot as a replacement part or not. You have to call to order parts, you can't just order one off the website. You can go to the website to find the schematics and part numbers though.
    I'm sure others will just tell you to try to weld it up, you might have to if you can't get a new pot. Good luck!
    You might want to order any other parts you might need in the future, like an extra plunger. If you drop them just right you will bend the tip. Ask me how I know.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Wire brush the hole and 'braze' it closed. You might just make it worse trying to arc or wire weld it...rusted metal gets pretty thin around the actual rusted through hole also.
    It's hard to tell much in those pictures but that pot must have been used for a boat anchor!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell