Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Doolittle Raid 75th Anniversary

Banned

Doolittle Raid 75th Anniversary

It was today. Had lots of news feeds about it on Facebook today. I've always just been in awe of the courage those guys had, men like that don't exist anymore. Only one left now. I think I'll dig out my copy of Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo tomorrow.

Boolit Master

Sadly, not much mention of it anywhere that I saw. Just on the history channel. Our first strike against Japan after Dec.7th. I too, am in awe of their daring raid.

Boolit Grand Master
    I remember the first time I saw a B-25, at an air show at NAWS Pt Mugu in the 1990's. I was amazed that they had managed to get those rather large planes airborne from a carrier deck.

Men of steel.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Unfortunately, it probably wouldn't be "politically correct" to mention this on the news in today's world - I'm sure some
    "dimwit" would find something about the whole heroic mission that would offend them.

What these men did for the morale of our country in one of our "darkest hours" was nothing short of a miracle and is something that should never be forgotten and which is something that should be taught to every American. These guys stepped up for what was most likely a "suicide mission" and they pulled it off! They were't looking for "glory" - what they did was done through their love of our country. Truly they were the "Greatest Generation" and they EARNED the title and the respect that goes with it. May we always remember them and all the men and women who sacrificed for their fellow citizens and future generations in our prayers.

Moderator Emeritus

This had to be viewed as a "suicide mission" when they volunteered for it. Daring and necessity drove them, I think, to do it. Doolittle was one mighty force of a man, and the kind who put his actions where his sentiments were. Thank God for men like him. We still have a few like that today. We just don't hear about them, and they don't really WANT the spotlight trained on them.

Just about all the WWII vets I've ever known were ALL so VERY humble about what they did! They typically said, "We were just doing what we figured had to be done." Asked about fear, they'd typically chuckle, and say something like "Any man in that situation who wasn't scared was crazy!" But they did all the things they did, and many, many did not live to tell their stories. My Dad was an old 3-war Marine (China- 7 yrs, WWII and most of Korea) and he'd never talk about his experiences except to some of his buddies who'd come to visit, or other vets locally. I'll always regret not knowing his stories, but ... that's just how they were, very typically. What a wonderful grooup of men! ALL of them!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    ........ men like that don't exist anymore...........
    ya know, I'll bet if the need was there today, some would step forward.

Boolit Master

We have them today, I have met several young service members and vets. There is still those with the Iron. My youngest brought several to visit my Dad when he was living, the ones he served with. When twenty year olds and a ninty year old talk it is just old soldiers talking
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Banned

There are individuals with that kind of sand, but we don't have that kind of collective courage as a country anymore. I highly doubt that a mission that risky would even be authorized anymore regardless of how high the stakes were.

I'm sure that 'men' like that still exist today but we don't hear about them much because it's not PC to report of them on the 'news'. When I was serving in the USAR there was plenty of them around. There was plenty of the other type to but there was enough of the 'right' type to make a difference.

Rob

“They think that just because they have only one leader and one head, we are all like that. They know that ten heads lopped off will destroy them, but we are a free people; we have as many heads as we have people, and in a time of need leaders pop up among us like mushrooms.”

John Steinbeck "The Moon is Down"
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Great read. Thanks for posting.

Banned
    Had the honor of going to the reunion a few years back at the museum. My wife's great uncle was one of the priests that helped with the escape of some of the fliers. We got to meet one of the fliers that he helped and he provided provenance to the story. To make a long story short his name was Father Dunker. His family knew he was in China during the war and had helped the fliers. After he passed away my wife researched his memoirs which are located at DePaul University. She found details of the time and contacted the air force museum. They asked her to come to the reunion to meet with one of the fliers. In the brief conversation with the flier she asked if he remembered a Father Dunker that aided them. He replied no, their were 2 Father Dunkers confirming to the museum that the memoirs were correct as there was 2 father Dunkers, Richard and his cousin.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1378.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	193686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	193687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1383.jpg 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	193688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	193689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1386.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	193690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1387.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	193691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	193692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	193693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	193694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	193695
    i have some more pictures but i am limited to ten.
    went to the Wright Patterson air force base for the big to do. met Richard Cole who was Doolittle's co-pilot and last surviving member of the raid. saw all the B-25s take off and fly in formation overhead and saw two B1s do a flyby as well.
    took the day off to go see it as i have never seen that many B-25s in one place and may never again.
    it was quite the day. thought some may like to see what was going on here in ohio for the anniversary.
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Boolit Master
    There are individuals with that kind of sand, but we don't have that kind of collective courage as a country anymore. I highly doubt that a mission that risky would even be authorized anymore regardless of how high the stakes were.

I disagree. The nation COULD pull off such a mission today - BUT - there would be a live video feed to the White House 'War Room,' and the POTUS would be calling the shots, seated with all of his 4-stars around the table!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Great Thread.Thanks for posting.Want to read a great book about the B 25 in combat?Try"Flying Buccaneers".Its about The 5th air force in Australia.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck