WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Expander ball question

Boolit Bub

Expander ball question

I do not deprime with my sizing die,where would you locate the ball inside the die?

Boolit Master
    Loosen the rod the ball is connected to when you start to pull the case out you'll feel the expander enter the neck with slight pressure on the handle tighten the nut on your rod and you should be gtg

Boolit Man
    If you use the expander in a separate step from resizing, you stand a way less chance of a crooked neck. When using the expander on the down stroke, the neck is not supported. A safer bet is to expand on the upstroke. The case will then be supported. This is for bottle neck cartridges.

I use a universal depriming die then tumble. Follow up with resizing (neck or full length or partial full length) then expand on the upstroke. I like bushing dies the most and eliminate the button whenever possible.

On most of my sizing dies the expander has been removed. I use the NOE expander plugs for expansion in a second step. If the expander is left in, I bring it up to where it just fully enters the bottle neck and then it's pulled back out. I don't like them dangling way down there on the rod. Just my way, your results may very well be as good how ever you're doing it. Gp

Boolit Bub
    I set it like gpidaho does,seems to work ok. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

I believe I would set it low, below the neck (I think I'd try the neck length + a bit). So the neck has exited the sizing portion and then the expander moves through the neck as the case is withdrawn from the die...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I also deprime separately so I use a Lyman "m" to do inside neck sizing after the primary case sizing step.
    Loren